Found a .177 barrel for my LG110 HP Hunting FAC

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Tallguy, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    I've found a .177 barrel in mint condition. They said it is an LG110 Match Rifle barrel.

They also said this is the made of old Steyr barrel supplier. This means nothing to me since I don't know the current one. It has a 3 digit number on it, which also reported as the last 3 digits of the serial number of the rifle, I don't know. Which brand do you you think it is?

Rifling of the barrel is quite obvious, twist rate seems lower than my other gun's barrels. To shoot pellets in high velocities might cause me cleaning quite more often. But if it gives the accuracy similar to .22 no problem at all. I want velocities around 800-900fps .177. But accuracy is the most important issue ofcoarse, if it gives better accuracy at lower velocities...I'll accept that ;)

I hope I can fit it easily... ofcourse I'll watch barrel swap videos of Steyr again first.

2. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    this is the barrel:

it has the correct size 43cm
    [​IMG]

crown
    [​IMG]

there is a small stud at 10.8 cm from the front end:
    [​IMG]

after a cleaning and taking pictures , I tried to fit it . Unfortunately I could not :mad: its diameter is larger than the original...so does not fit to the block.

I did not paid for this one, so no loss for me. I'll order a new barrel I think.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. Jon

Jon Member

Current crop of LG110 barrel certainly not the old suppliers or even Steyr hammer forged as used in the LG10 and early 100.
    Might even be optimised for 10M and i will go in if actions not butchered.

4. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I'm looking for a new barrel and I would like to try a different twist, if you wan't to sell it let me know.

5. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    sorry Delfinus, I'll return it.

6. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    placed an order for a 55cm .177 Steyr barrel :)

7. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    my .177 barrel arrived today. It is the new length 55cm barrel. I fit it easily

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll shot some groups and do the chrony readings at the weekend

8. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    The new 55cm .177 Steyr barrels are now also available in black (powder coated), as are the new Hunting .177 also equipped with the new 55cm black barrel.
    Prices for new barrels have dropped as well, so longer and cheaper ( oh well... still expensive).
    Wonder if accuracy is really better, but I was told the longer barrel was more for easier reaching higher power levels like 24J (not for UK market). Installing the longer barrel will need a power adjustment for sure as else you will go over 12fpe for sure.
    regards,
    Rob

9. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    So how much is a new steyr barrel and how easy are they to get hold of?

steve

10. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Are you going to use a softer hammer spring or lower the regulator pressure?

11. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    with taxes, customs etc. it cost me around 350euros. I chose it chrom on purpose. Because silencer adaptor scrathes the powder coating (and I get sad :) )
    well I am planning to use it as it is. I don't need a FAC in my country for airguns. I hope to get something around 16-18ftlb power. If it is accurate as it is, I wont play with hammer spring tension or reg pressure.

[​IMG]

I have:
    FX 8.44g 4.52
    AA 8.44g 4.51
    AA 10.34g 4.52
    Falcon 7.33g 4.52
    H&N Baracuda 10.65g

I will test accuracy and do chrono readings with them, I'll let you know what happens. My lg110 was shooting FX 16g 5.52's at 850fps, with same spring tension and reg pressure.

12. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  13. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    I ordered the barrel to the distributor in my country. I chose expensive but safe way.

14. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    You can't compare a button with a hammered barrel, for 90€ you can also buy a HW100 60cm barrel but again it's not the same.

I didn't knew the price of the 55cm barrel but Wiseguy was right it's a litle lower last year for a .20 barrel they ask 375€.

15. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    I asked a quote fir a 55cm black .177 last week and that was 280 euro, so even a bit cheaper.
    Regards,
    Rob
    Ps: no, I won't order any extra.

16. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    well , price I paid not double what they quote to you. taxes are very high here , we have a 18% VAT for instance. anyway, take it this way : I've had a .177 accurate airgun just for 350euros. :)

17. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    it was windy, so couldn't shoot groups at 50meters and test pellets, but made one holers at 15-20meter. especially with AA 4.51 and FX 4.52 8.44g's. AA heavy 10,3g did not score good enough , neither H&N Baracuda's. I did not try Falcon 7.33g's since it is very light, in windy weather.

made 5 chrono readings with:

AA 4.51 8.44g : 940 fps (16.57fpe)

AA 4.52 10.3g : 880 fps (17.72fpe)

18. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    The barrel is brand new shoot a couple off boxes and test it later, 940 fps is to high for the ballistic you could have problems at longer distances you should give another chance to the heavy s.

Don t use only one lot of pellets; the heavy s with short head were very bad in my Steyr.

Clean the barrel when switch pellets, shoot a couple of felts.

19. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    thanks for the advice, as sad it was quite windy to be sure. heavies I have also short head, first time I saw them and I am disappointed by the shape. they have the shape of inaccurate dynamic (at least in my airguns) type of pellets :mad:

since I did not shoot .177 for at least 4 years, they look odd and very tiny to me :) tomorrow we have a silhouette comp and can't have time for the .177 steyr. On sunday, early in the morning without the wind I'll play with it more.

atb

20. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Club:
    Ankara Team FT Club
    by softer hammer spring do you mean 12fpe spring? and could you pls tell me how to lower the regulator pressure?

thanks in advance