Forum members in Devon ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Andy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Andy

Andy New Member

Just interested to know if there are many forum members in Devon , i suspect we will meet in due course at a shoot somewhere but would be good to know whos about :)

Andy

2. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Hi Andy,

Several of us on here that you will meet on the SWEFTA circuit. Next league shoot is on 15th August at Cornwall, good opportunity to meet people ask questions, try some kit.

Have fun at Buckley tomorrow and I'm sure Chris will gladly extend you an invite to come and see us at East Devon, once you're set up you can have a try at the Grand Prix course that was shot last Sunday :cool:

Charlie

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Plenty on here... :)

4. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    Hi Andy, good luck at Buckley wood, good bunch of guys there and when you fancy a change come see us at East Devon FTC.

Chris

5. Andy

Andy New Member

No doubt we shall meet at some time fairly soon :) Reading through the forum has scrambled my brains a bit but no doubt once i get started things will become a bit clearer ,,, please say its so :):):)

Andy

6. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Keep it simple to start with and don't jump in feet first with your hard earned until you've tried a few bits of kit.

Decide if you want to go with HFT, FT or both and try each before you decide and definitely before you spend. Reading about them only counts for so much. As a newb you'll likely get a lot of advice some good some crap and filtering the crap can be tricky but the vast majority on this forum (unlike others) know their onions so don't be shy of asking on here for second (third and fourth) opinions.

7. Andy

Andy New Member

I must admit i do like the sound of hft , ok im a beginner but i will learn ! would you recommend starting in ft first ? from what i can see so far it seems to be the scopes that are different :confused:

Andy

8. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

And most of our (HFT) shots are taken prone, no altering scope during Comp. Come and try the Welsh HFT Open in a couple of weeks, there will be a few FT lads there swearing at the 15mm kills:D:D:D

9. RobF

Club:
    I'm sure the lads will show you the difference between the two. Swefta runs it's own flavour as well to add to your confusion... but just take it slow and easy. Swefta has quite a committed core of shooters, so whatever floats your boat, i'm sure you'll be in the thick of it soon enough :)

10. rich

rich Active Member

If you want a day out on Sunday and can afford the petrol (!) then come to Werrington Park, just north of Launceston, it's the Cornwall and Devon Countryman's Fair, and my club Shebbear Shooters has been asked to host the airgun alley. We did it for the first time in 2008 and that was a success.

It will be a have-a-go day at some plinking and knock down and reset targets, various guns, springers, PCPs, 177 and 22 calibre. Our club also does indoor air rifle, not the Olympic 10 metre stuff but 20 yard LSR to NSRA rules, and we'll be doing a variation of that at the show, £3 a head to enter and cash prizes for the top three scores at the close of the day.

11. RobF

Club:
    And it's not on the calendar cos? :p TSK :D

12. rich

rich Active Member

It's the Cornwall and Devon fair, us dun't want they furriners and incomers 'yer. :shot:

13. Andy

Andy New Member

Well ive just returned from the club and was let loose with a rifle , well i hit a lot more than i missed and have found out about a couple of rifles for sale within the club so over the next few weeks i should be in possession of the basic items to shoot , i was a bit unsure when i arrived but was made to feel very welcome and thoroughly enjoyed it , cant wait to get stuck in now :shot::):)

Andy

14. RobF

Club:
    good stuff! :D

15. Andy

Andy New Member

Cheers RobF , Still undecided which discipline to shoot as yet but that will take time , and that i have so no hurry , I was surprised by the many different looking guns being used by club members today , while some looked very conventional in general appearance others wouldnt look out of place in a star wars movie ! lots of shiny important looking bits protruding from them :) made me wonder just how much difference there is between them at the end of the day :confused: but given the choice of conventional looking or space age of course i would go for space age !!! Very much looking forward to getting started in this hobby now ive had a taster

Andy

16. Zimbabwe Boy

Zimbabwe Boy New Member

Spring it

Well I recon that by far the best way to get into the sport is to go in via the Springer route.

Reasons being:
    1). Initial cost of starting up is WAY cheaper, and if after 4 months you find that this really isnt' for you then you're not out of pocket as much.
    2). By learning with a Spring powered rifle, you will have to learn a greater sense of control and consistency in your shooting - if and when you move across to PCP's then that will stand you in good stead.
    3). Last and by no means least, it's retro - and old school is always cool :cool:

17. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Springers are the work of the Devil and should all be burnt:p:p:p:D:D:D