Focussing the eye piece

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by DeanB, Oct 3, 2013.

1. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Setting up a scope and want to set up the eyepiece focussing. BFTA instruction manual says parallax at infinity, look at the sky, and twist eyepiece to get the reticle as black and sharp as possible. Two questions: (1) Is this still the best advice? and (2) Are there consequences of slightly bad eyepiece focussing?
    Help appreciated.
    Dean

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    1) yes
    2) yes

3. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Always beating about the bush with your reply's Conor:D:D:D:D:shot::D

4. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

5. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    If that's how the A Team do it, I pity da fool that doesn't listen to them :D

6. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    I think

I will pre-qualify this with my apology for being brand new to FT but far from new to shooting.

Having played with scopes with inherently large depths of field and scopes with very small depths of field (basically scopes suitable for HFT and FT respectively) I would say the basic approach of adjusting to infinity against the sky is probably OK with FT scopes as the "sweet spot" within the in focus depth has much less chance of being in the wrong spot.

If you want to be super critical though I would say you want the "head bop" spot where the reticle is static in relation to the sight picture to be in the middle of the depth of field at 50-55yards, if you can resolve it :confused:

Having said that with my Nikko on 40x that spot is very difficult to be precise about but I can see a slight difference across the field.

having said all that I have tried following the A Team stuff and the general stuff and the difference is tiny and does seem to depend on the lighting conditions.

See here:

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18168

For me the difference between the techniques seems so small and with all the other things I am trying to come to grips with i think futher investigation can wait until I have mastered the basics ;)

7. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Many thanks for the helpful replies - will give the A-Team approach a try.
    Thanks.
    Dean