Fixed or floating barrel?

Discussion in 'Walther' started by astrostar, Apr 14, 2013.

1. astrostar

astrostar New Member

Club:
    APFT
    Hi!

Once it is a big mod (I guess there is no easy came back), what do you think about floating barrel mod on dommie?
    It becomes more accurate then fixed barrel?
    Would you say absolutely worth try?

Thanks in advance

2. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Fixed barrels make smaller group but the whole group can move a lot with temperature or air cylinder pressure. Free floated barrels make a bit wider group but always on the same place.

3. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Yours must be really really free floating then Andras,:D:D

4. astrostar

astrostar New Member

Club:
    APFT
    The group question is one of the most important areas I give attencion as this walther is for use on BR more then FT so, ,and as far as I can see, cylinder do not touch the front alu support so I guess that is not an issue.
    Regarding temperature I shoot within 10 to 35 ºc dont know if differential it is enougth to "bend" barrel...

Now, the 1million £ question is, will float barrel improve accuracy and of course, groups?

My doubt is because on many thereads found here and other forums people say " WOW, it ´s so beautifull with floating barrel!!!" but none that I can remember say " WOW, now I can make a single hole at 50 yards" :)

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

5. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    When you shoot BR where you can zero the rifle any time during the competition, then a fixed barrel may be much better for you.
    The reason of barrel floating is not improving accuracy but avoiding POI-shifts. Free floated barrels make a bit wider group but always on the same place, which is more useful in FT.
    The air cylinder issue is typical at English designed air rifles where the whole system is built onto the air tank, German made rifles don't suffer on this problem.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Oh yes they do ;)

7. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Which types, Rob? I thought that all the rifles with removable air cylinder (Walther, Anschütz, Feinwerkbau) are not sensitive to pressure changes in the air tank because the system is built on the stock rather than on the cylinder.

8. Jon

Jon Member

Name me one rifle with removable cylinder that dont move fresh from factory.

Free float can be more accurate excluding pressure and temp changes.

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    They may not be sensitive to that type of shift, but there's others. Essentially you have a long bendy thing tied to something else. I can induce shift in my walther just by fiddling with how it mounts, and that's already free floated.

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Floating the barrel will not improve accuracy but will definitely improve consistency and should help keep a stable zero, POI fluctuations should be eliminated.

If you have a bad barrel and/dodgy pellets then floating won't cure your accuracy problems.

I have found floated barrels more accurate that those attached or touching the front A clamp.

11. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Yes they all do move but not from the cylinder pressure, only from temperature changes :)

12. Jon

Jon Member

You are kidding Andras there are many that move as pressurew drops.

Even in free floated state, slackening and further slacken of cylinder sees zero shift, work that out.

13. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Very interesting. I have seen this (Walther), so as it slackens the weight of the cylinder will either reduce the upward force on a collar (Halter/A-frame or whatever it is called) or decrease it pressing down on the support?

Fully floated the cylinder "droops" but a small fraction of a turn puts it back. Can't say I have seen a POI shift in this case but easy enough to replicate and look for it.

Neil

14. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    No Jon, I never have experienced something like this with my FWB, even when it still had a fixed barrel. My wife's AA400 was totally others, when the air tank pressure went below 120 bars the rifle started to shoot higher with many centimetres, with the same or even lower velocity so it was for sure some POI-shift.

15. astrostar

astrostar New Member

Club:
    APFT
    First let me thank you all for your replies.

So, for what I can understand barrel floating will not improve accuracy has this will remain more or less the same, it will add consistency, correct me if I miss understood.
    The advantage of the fixed barrel is that keeps POI more stable if there are any temp changes, rigth?

maestro advice is that fixed is much better for BR
    Jon says floating can be more accurate
    Conor "will not improve accuracy but will definitely improve consistency"

Accuracy will not improve BUT can it decrease?

What can be considered temp shift capable of chage POI ?

16. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    NO! Exactly the opposite, fixed barrels are more likely to have POI-shifts, this is coded into the mechanical structure.

17. astrostar

astrostar New Member

Club:
    APFT
    What I understand from your initial post is that, if there are no pressure or temperature shifts, fixed can be more accurate then floating is that correct?

18. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    No. If the barrel is free floated (correctly of course) then there are no shifts. Accuracy is an other question, usually fixed barrels give better groups but it depends on many factors and different people have different experiences with different rifles. But why not try it for yourself? Do some tests from the bench and you'll see if it's better or worse.

19. astrostar

astrostar New Member

Club:
    APFT
    To do some tests I would need to remove the shroud from barrel... with heat and after it is out I belive it isnt easy to go back.

Would you, Walther owners, recomend free floating barrel?

Once again many thanks.

ps. a poll would be interessting :rolleyes:

20. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    What is correctly floated or incorrectly for that?

Was told my ev2 was incorrectly floated when it was sent for Air stripper fitting.
    Never asked why!