First PCP...

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by bfto_connor, Oct 5, 2010.

1. bfto_connor

bfto_connor New Member

Well I'm about to make my first PCP purchase, ive played with a few, read a ton of magazine and user reviews and have come to the conclusion that most guns are equally amazing whilst at the same time being absolute crud... :confused: lol there were so many conflicting bits of info all i could do was go with my gut feeling...
    Im limiting myself to around the £500- £700 range and the short list is as follows...

AA S510
    AA MPR
    HW 100S
    Daystate Huntsman
    Prestige Kub Thumbhole Side Bolt Action Multishot
    BSA ultra multishot for now and save a bit longer for an EV2?

At the moment im just starting out, but i dont think it will be too long before i would like to possibly try an open HFT/HT comp.
    ive held all but two and fired half of them but want to get a general idea which would best suit my purpose?
    The BSA i threw in there because i cant decide if its best to hold out and buy the best gun i can to save faffing later on or if i should buy an intermediate rifle (that will be more than enough for me now) but then have to take a loss on it when it comes to upgrading later on?

Theres probably been a million and one posts like this and i apologise in advance for that but i would really appreciate a bit more of an informed view.

Cheers!

Connor.
    :eek: :shot: :D

2. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi if you are going to do comps you will want something single shot, from your list a very good starting place would be the AA mpr. It a simple gun which you will be able to do ft and hft and in time when you head in one direction more you drop the action into a after market stock better suited to what you want.:)

3. kilty

kilty Member

Club:
    SPRINGFIELD ARC
    Save up for a Steyr LG110 / LG110 which will cover both disciplines. About £850 should get you a good one?
    hth
    Barry

4. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    hav a look for a aa protarget suited for hft and ft s/h pick um up for 450 their abouts

5. bfto_connor

bfto_connor New Member

Thanks for the response guys!
    at the moment The MPR is edging ahead as its in my budget new and im not sure i know enough about rifles to know a dud when i see it so i could be taking more of a risk buying a used one. I might sell my Diana 45 as well to help fund the new one, i know its not a FT/HFT rifle so is there much of a market for that here or would i be better off advertising it elsewhere?

cheers!

Connor.

6. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi Connor,

I'd suggest a AA S400 Classic.

It's good for both disciplines.

I'd go for a second hand one and start competing. With a good scope on top you can expect very good results.

I'll stick my neck out and say that for FT a S400 with a good scope would be a better investment than an EV2 etc with poor scope.

Top advice - don't skimp on the scope.

S400 now with big Nikko, save some cash, buy dedicated FT rifle keep the Nikko. The S400 will hold its value or you'll love it so much that you won't want to sell it :)

Sorry if I went on

Shaun :)

7. Pod

Pod New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi Connor. I think I took your membership fee for the BFTO from you a couple of weeks ago??

Before you buy anything, have a few visits to the club and talk to people. And if you see any of the guns you are interested in, then ask the owners if you can have a try. Most people will be only too happy.

This should help you make your decision :)

8. bfto_connor

bfto_connor New Member

More top advice! thanks :)
    Quite possibly! i paid not sunday just gone but the one before, ive been down there pretty much every other day since :eek: i have had a play with some of the rifles in my shortlist, the trouble is, being new there and not knowing anyone well its hard to know who is there to be social and who would prefer to be left to shoot? no doubt in time ill start badgering the more approachable folk for advice and tips :D

The scope i have atm is a nikko 3-9x40 which seems to be ok for the moment although i know i would need something a little better if i did start taking things a little more seriously.
    The trouble is, im not in the position to spend a great deal of money on a sport im very new to, so ive limited myself to that budget to get a half decent rifle as it would be a waste of time putting a better scope on the old diana lol i can get by with my current scope for now and as i improve i can invest in some better glass then maybe later on ill upgrade the rifle again, does that make sense?

Im definitely starting to feel more like im able to make a better choice now, or at least i know what i WONT be buying! lol i was definitely jumping the gun (no pun intended) a bit when i was looking at the pro rifles i think i need to get something more suited for a beginner and save for some top glass instead!

cheers and atb
    Connor

9. bfto_connor

bfto_connor New Member

Hi folks,

Went down the range today and had to use a club rifle as mine is currently out of commission awaiting parts.
    The Rifle in question was an Air Arms S400 Classic and i was pleasantly surprised by it! I must have put about half a tin of pellets through it before deciding that multi-shot rifles were not the way to go for me after all. So this afternoon ive been doing a little internet research and they appear to be quite a well regarded rifle and even have a pretty good multi-shot conversion kit which is a nice bonus!
    Anyhow, I will now be getting one and pairing it up for now with my nikko 3-9x40 Mildot initially which means that i will be able to pick up a recharging kit reasonably quickly as well. Once that is in the bag i'll then start looking for some quality glass.

ATB,

Connor.