first gun choice

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by cowandchicken, Oct 14, 2018.

1. cowandchicken

cowandchicken New Member

Ok here goes with my first question about joining in HFT. ( be gentle)
    Been to the local RFD and handled the guns on offer and ended up split between 2.
    The BSA ultra se and the R10 mk 2 se.
    Does anybody here use either of these guns for HFT and what are your thoughts on them.
    Cheers.

2. Slip Stream

Slip Stream Experienced novice

Club:
    Silver Fox Shooting Experience.
    Hi,
    If you can make it to Furness Mill on Saturday 20 October, there is a competition on.
    You will be able to see the type and large array of Rifles being used and plenty of advice :eek:.
    Alternatively I will be there ( hopefully ) on Sunday about 11 am for some needed trigger time
    Should be able to get you a gun or two to have a go at the old tin chickens.
    If you can make Sunday message me on Thursday and I'll try an arrange something.

terryn likes this.
  3. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    My advice, and probably that of most other shooters (HFT or FT), is don't buy until you have tried a few different guns (and scopes). Trying different guns is part of the experience and helps to get to know other shooters and learn what they use and what the guns feel like whilst shooting. It can be an expensive to buy the wrong gun for you.

KeithW likes this.
  4. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Not many bsa on the circuit, nothing much wrong with them (apart from the triggers) BUT their barrels generally prefer heavier pellets which definitely aren't the preferred choice in HFT. As mentioned above get to a few comps and you'll soon figure out what works.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    KeithW likes this.
  5. cowandchicken

cowandchicken New Member

Thanks for the advice guys I will take it slowly as hard as it is as I just want to get shooting:D

6. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Two hft clubs local to you full of good, helpful, chaps. Tbf most HFT shooters will be happy to let you try their kit or give useful advise ;)

7. kjedroska

kjedroska New Member

Try rifles at your friends / clubs / competitions. This is the best method. Also buy ten rifles :)

MickyFinn likes this.
  8. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

:D :D :D

9. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    I would advise that you attend a HFT shoot, have a look at as many guns/scopes as you can, most will let you carefully hold them, some will possibly let you shoot them as long as you don't touch the scope. You should then come away with a good idea of what is generally in use and what is not, for instance there is unlikely to be many .22 guns in use, feel free to ask why?
    If money is a bit tight (when is it not??) then you might be best to put more time in trying to shoot other peoples or club guns and get an idea as to what gun suits your shooting position etc.

10. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    By all means try as many as you can, use club guns where possible, and even though the money is burning a hole in your pocket RESIST spending it just yet (mind you, this post is a few weeks old, so maybe you have spent it already.)
    Some gun shops will palm you off with a "deal "= quite a good gun and a so-so scope. Don't go for it! Getting the right scope is every bit as important as the right gun (and subsequently finding the right pellet, and barrel cleaning regime are arcane arts in themselves, but that's something for you to look forward to).
    Personally, I'd recommend the Air Arms S400, because there is an upgrade path by way of after market adjustable stock. Furthermore AA is incredibly supportive of the airgunning world.

11. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    have to agree with keith above, S400 will hold its own against anything out there and wont put a big hole in your pocket

gdavison, Al-G and MickyFinn like this.
  12. Beefy

Beefy New Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    If you are only going to use it for hft then I would look more at a dedicated single shot rifle, such as an air arms s400 or not, or if you can find one the hw101 makes a great little hft rifle at low cost.

Al-G and MickyFinn like this.
  13. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    I started with the air arms s400 it is a great little gun, I just wish mine was a .22 then I would not have sold it.
    The hw 101 is more expensive but a great gun though. Whatever you go for shoulder it first to ensure the fit is right it will save you money in the long run.