first ft scope

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by skull-collector, Apr 14, 2014.

1. skull-collector

skull-collector New Member

Currently using a hawke 3-9 x 50 sport hd (its what came with my gun and was fine for hunting) Just started shooting ft so need something I can range find with.

I have had a preliminary look and the 8-32 MTC viper or the the hawke sidewinder seem to be jumping out as the scopes to choose from, looking at a price of around £300.

Would love to get peoples recommendations over either of these or maybe one I haven't come across.

Cheers

Carl

2. andy1762

andy1762 Member

Club:
    Castle FT
  3. skull-collector

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Falcon t35 2nd hand at £200 if you can find one is very good.

The two you mention are not popular with the better shooters. That should tell its own story??

Best bet get to a club with good ft shooters and try different scopes. Then find £400+

5. LittleJack

LittleJack Active Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    I would say get a 2nd hand big nikko aswell or big BSA you may have to stretch a little bit more than £300 but you won't go wrong with it
    Jack

6. skull-collector

I fancy one of the Falcon T50 but nowhere seems to have them in stock, have they been discontinued?

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    No one is using them (T50), perhaps for an unknown reason but normally if a scope works for FT then it will be used.

8. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Try uttings, I just sold a silver T50, or I have a big nikko MK3 for sale 550 with postage plus 200 worth of Rowan bits if interested.

9. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    As said above the Big Nikko works for most people, don't discount some of the "less popular" front parralax scopes like the Bushnel etc. I would carry on with what you have presently untill you can afford something decent otherwise you will end up buying something better a few months down the line. Try and use your chosen scope before you part with money, what works for someone else may not work for you. If you are a member of an FT club ask your friends to let you try their scopes and see what suits you.

10. skull-collector

Pretty sure the 2 people I shot with on my first go around the FT course were both using T50's (only reason I knew they existed

I've already looked on Uttings (as they are local to me so I could pick up and save postage) but it says temp. unavailable so i've put my email in to get notified when its in stock When people refer to the 'big nikko' are they talking about the Nikko Stirling Diamond Sportsman (sorry for my ignorance)

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice

11. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
  12. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    +1 for the T35. Don't get hooked into higher mag is better. Most shooters with high mag scopes mag down to around 30 to take the shot using the higher end for range finding. The T35 takes a little more effort to 'learn' as it's slower to come into focus. There's a definite knack.

My first scope was one of those you mentioned and it lasted one season cos it was just horrible to use.

There's a downside, (there always is), it'll only focus down to 11 yards so you have to figure a way around that. But that's why a big Nikko is 400 quid more and a rare find second hand under 500 quid. Get one if you can afford it though, there's a good reason there's so many out there.

This has got to be worth a look as well http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21183

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  13. AirWolf

AirWolf New Member

I am surprised to hear people Mag down, I use 50x down to 12yds.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Get the best most powerful scope you can, buy once buy well.

14. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    I started FT last year and I've had the following already.... MTC Viper 8-32, T50 LMS, and big Nikko now on to a Sightron the one I was going to get after the MTC but decided to save a few £.

I would suggest you stay away from the MTC as it's not a Bad scope but no where near as good as a T50, the T50 is good for the money but doesn't snap in as quick a a Nikko it is a fair scope though for the money, the Nikko is snappy and has the seen plenty of FT action now. The Sightron is by far the clearer and more snappy of them all, it also has the reticle choices to bewilder I have the LRIRMH and love it.

I don't think I will be changing again any time soon and should have gone with this choice last year lol.

In short get the best you can with your budget don't scrimp though if you don't have too :)

Bri

15. mjoh

mjoh Member

Club:
    Broadlands A.R.C.
    Dont rush in with a scope yet -- come down Saturday - usually various Big Nikko Mk I, 2 and 3 there and a couple of T50. There may be Tasco Custom shop 8-40 also ( which I think is for sale). The owners will be happy to let you look through them so you can see the difference. May be a Bushnel 8-32*40 to see as well.

I made the classic mistake when starting of buying a cheap high mag scope thinking it would be ok -- I sold it after 4 months and bought a second hand Deben 10-50*56 ( very underarated and getting rare ) before moving on to a Big Nikko. A decent second hand scope will sell on if required with out losing too much money.

16. skull-collector

Don't worry I can't afford a scope for at least a couple of weeks lol, Jade and I are hoping to get down Saturday, couldn't make it last week as she wasn't feeling great. I should have a dive bottle by then so if she uses my rifle I won't have to use the stirrup pump half way like last time!