First and most recent

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Martz, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    BSA Meteor super in .22 parents bought me for christmas, think i was about 14 years old at time. latest is a tx 200 in .177 and not std.

Martz likes this.
  2. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Like many other shooters of a certain age, I started with a BSA Meteor and I now shoot a Steyr 110. Many years ago I drove to a gun shop in Worthing to buy a BSA International to use as a bench rest rifle. While I was there I noticed a rifle case with Cyrillic script on it which turned out to be a Vostock which apparently had won an Olympic gold medal. This rifle was over engineered to an unusual extent and it ever had a set trigger. I bought the rifle and 100 rounds of Eley Club .22 LR for £30. The accuracy with rubbish ammunition was astonishing. Colin Eaton will probably have heard of Vostock. Anyone else?

Martz likes this.
  3. Finn

Finn New Member

I remember my first gun, it was Gamo CF-20 underlever, I'm not sure how I tricked my granpa to buy it, I was probably no more than 9 years old at the time. It was reasonably accurate but it broke all the time, spring snapped many times over the years and that plastic loading gate broke at least once a year. Looking back, it was a pretty bad airgun overall, horrible trigger, not much of a looker and didn't stay together. Most recent is long barrel version of Steyr LP-50. It's not really a Steyr because I was not ready to spend that much money to plink cans with it few times a month, so I made the gun myself.
    I have seen those vostok rifles few times here, somewhat similar to russian TOZ guns, I remember my cousins 22 lr toz target rifle, it would not shoot badly no matter how bad the ammunition. Chambering was such that if you tried to open the bolt when live round was in, it would just eject the case and powder and bullet was stuck in the rifling.

sillywizard and Martz like this.
  4. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    First gun was a mk1 bsa meteor that i had off my uncle, still got it as if never sell her. Love the little thing and it’s topped off with a 2x20 scope that says Korean optics. God knows what make but the scope has turned over the years so to get the reticle right without canting I’d have to break my neck to use it now..

latest gun is either the lg400 I’ve bought or the ripley AR5s (bit of retro)..
    Lg400 as the new ft rig and the ripley just because it is nice having one in the cabinet.

Berty

Gary Martin and Martz like this.
  5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    HW80K that my dad bought me for Christmas, I was 14 so too young to hold a FAC so it was only used when he took it out. We had some great days out plinking and hunting. It had an old 4 x32 scope can’t remember the make.

I currently have a Walther LG400, it’s currently scope-less and gathering dust in my cabinet...can’t beat a Steyr!

6. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    We're having an in house competition this weekend, prizes range from a day off cooking, a full day with a desk / monitors and a 24h period of no reality TV. The competition may be rigged.

Adam and RobF like this.
  7. Bensile

Bensile Well-Known Member

Club:
    Emley moor
    Original model 50 cracking looking rifle in .22 tap loading and under lever cocking.

Now on Steyr LG100

8. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

My first air rifle was a relum, I forget the actual model. I was about 18 at the time and friends with a younger lad probably about 13, he was disabled and it took a hell of a lot of determination and a fair bit of pain for him to shoot in the back field with me. Sadly his condition became terminal and I gave him the gun.

I have several rifles at the moment and tend to use my EV2 the most and my Steyr LG110 the least, must make more effort to shoot more I think.

9. john79

john79 JEDI

Club:
    MISFITS HFT CLUB
    Bsa supersport .22 and the most recent a Walther lg400 ft

10. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    First daystate huntsman .22 latest Walther Lg300 carbontec.

11. blacklab

blacklab Active Member

Club:
    nelson
    first was a webley vulcan and recently hw100 for a bit of ratting

12. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    First: Diana Model 15 tinplate 0.177 - it was my big brothers gun, stored under my parent's bed. As a latchkey kid I used to sneak it out after school and before they came home to have a few sly shots in the garden.

Latest is a CR97, bought on a whim because the stock is a fantastic piece of wood and it was meant to be a mule gun for me to try out my Delta. However, after fixing/fettling by the genius that is Dave Brayford, it's now my favourite PCP. Superbly accurate, very economic on air, nice trigger. Given that it was released in 1997, makes you wonder how far rifles have really come on since then!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 4:11 PM
  13. suds

suds Senior member

Club:
    Hereward. FTC
    My first was a BSA Cadet Major, than an Original model 50 . Present guns are Steyr LG110 and an AA EV2

Andy P likes this.
  14. Andy P

Andy P Gently does it......

Club:
    Hereward FT & ARC
    First gun was a Christmas present when I was 14 a ASI Paratrooper in .22 brand new, I had the option of either model which one had a pellet loader on top or having a 4x20 scope on-top , I choose the scoped version.

The family had just moved into a farm which we had the use of 35 acres Great days I had shooting rabbits and a crafty puff..:)

Currently trying to shoot a Steyr LG100

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    mod23 likes this.
  15. tony1

tony1 Active Member

Club:
    hereward ft
    my first air gun of my own was a webly tracker in .22 loved it.
    latest gun iv bought is another mk11 tx 200.
    main ft gun is my steyr hft model set up for ft.

16. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Grumpy old sod!

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    First - Relum Tornado .22 in 1977. From the "Littlewoods" or "Kays" catalogue. Shot many a bunny in Pattiesmuir, Fife! Open sights and IIRC a 4x24 scope.

Sold in 1980 I think (But I got one last year - a 1977 model, and refurbished it as best I could).

Capture.PNG

Most recent - Air Arms TX200. As far from the Relum you can get, in Springer terms anyway!

nemesis likes this.
  17. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

First, a .177" BSA Merlin; a tiny rifle with the underlever buried in the fore end like an Airsporter, but with a pop-up breech like the HW57. Went best with Marksman pellets, which had the advantage of being fairly inexpensive.

Most recent, an early Mk,3 TX200.

Cooper_dan likes this.
  18. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

My first was a Stoeger x20s in .22 (I think most people on here have been shooting longer than me :p).

Most recent is a Diana 100. Really nice bit of kit, probably a keeper.