Field Target Scopes of 2018 by OpticsWarehouse

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Oct 30, 2018.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
  2. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I think John needs to start a vlog on scopes, at least one a week, it would be highly entertaining.

3. custompaint

custompaint Optics Warehouse

Club:
    Buckley Wood
    I don’t think that should be allowed!

I really don’t do well talking to a camera or in general for that matter

RAMBO likes this.
  4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Practice makes perfect.

5. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

Does john only have the one shirt??

custompaint likes this.
  6. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    You did very well considering, as Neil says practice makes perfect; maybe a whole series of scope mounting, use and tips of the World Champion trade might be in order? ;)

NeilM likes this.
  7. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I was taught in the Marines only perfect practice makes perfect; but Neil you knew I'd say something like that didn't you?;)

NeilM likes this.
  8. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC
    Good watch .. I enjoyed it .. TY

9. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Interesting that the most expensive scope there didn’t get a good review, even more so that the paid shooter has a nice shiny silver rifle, but has no idea about if the shiny silver scope to match his shiny silver rifle has fixed any issues or not!
    Should have stopped at the delta, nice and enjoyable upto then.

10. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

I don't think it is fair to say that John is a paid shooter.
    But as he works for Optics Warehouse he is in a nice position to play with some hardware that some don't often get the chance to see. He won't however get the chance to extensively test scopes to the point of being able to comment fully on issues such as temp shift for all models. The fact that very few S&B FT scopes are seen on the FT circuit allows you to draw your own conclusions.
    The video gives a reasonable overview of what's available and a starting point for further research by potential customers.

Oh and yes Dave, I think he has more than one shirt, but they're all the same...

dave croucher likes this.
  11. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

True about the FT1 being heavily slated for temp shift and that many went back years ago, but not the PM2, they are not the same scope.
    The Schmidt Field Target Mk1 and Mk2 are completely different to the PM11s.
    I tested the FT2 version 1 for Schmidt afew years ago, after giving my report it was shortly withdrawn from production. They have now produced the FT2 version 2 claiming they have cured all faults from the one i tested for them.
    Do not confuse the PM11 with the FT2 they are not the same scope.

12. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Apparently the S&B FT2 is supposed to be a whole different beast to the Mk.1
    The problem is that it now has such a bad name that I doubt many shooters would be willing to shell out that amount of dosh to find out when they can spend the same on a March and know it's good.
    S&B had the opportunity to produce a stellar, purpose built scope with the Mk.1 and they squandered it for the sake of profit.

13. custompaint

custompaint Optics Warehouse

Club:
    Buckley Wood
    Hello mrgeoff

could you please elaborate on the paid shooter part? as this is news to me and would love to claim any payments i am due!

also yes i do have a nice shiny rifle... i like shiny rifles (yes i am abit of a magpie) but there is 2 rain reasons for the chrome plating on my TX200

1. I brought the gun second hand and was covered in fine surface rust, it needed refinishing and wanted it to look different.

2. I can use the gun at a 3 day long competition, and have a few days practice prior to this in the rain without having to worry about stripping the gun until i get home after the event is finished.

but i will take on board your comments, and i shall try to learn a little more so i can do my job better in the future :rolleyes:

also as said by nemesis the Schmidt in the review is not the one that i had said was very temperature sensitive, that was the earlier model and this new one has been completely re designed and should be a lot more stable in temperature. but i can not comment on just how stable the scope is as i have not and probably will not get time to test this to the extent needed.

regards

John Farbrother

P.S yes mate but its a bloody good shirt :p

gdavison, eggie, Jaeger and 7 others like this.