Field Target for a newbie

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi all

Well the time has come to try FT :eek: but to be honest I know nothing at all about this dicipline and would appreciate some pointers .

I have only ever tried FT once and that was at Bisley a few years back for the Air Arms event , I recall shooting with Guy Gillies ( now 18st and 7 feet tall ) :D who looked as lost as me but we had a good shoot although I would have preferred to kneel as sitting is a killer for me !

Any advise greatly appreciated ,btw I do have a shiny gun and a nice custom shop scope on the way so I guess I just have to sit down and look like I know what I'm doing . :p

atvb

Dave

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Good place to start is buy going to bfta site and downloading all the rules etc.

You will find the clubs page there so just take yourself along to the nearest ft club.

Wy is sitting a "killer for you"?

3. Kingplinker

Thanks , looked on the BFTA site earlier although was wrried when I saw flared trousers and old springers on the PDF :D I guess the rules haven't changed much over the years ?

Sitting FT style is very uncomfortable as I have back and neck problems although I hope that over time it may become easier , I couldn't even lay prone until a few years ago and had to shoot everything standing and kneeling .
    It's fair to say that I am probably better off kneeling as opposed to any other shooting position .

cheers

Dave

4. Dale

Dale Active Member

Dave,

Using a good well filled bean bag can go a long way to making the sitting position comfortable.

One other thing don't try and copy anyone elses position, just use it as a guide to finding what variation suits you best.

5. NJR 100

Club:
    HaHa, think those old photos could do with updating?

We should use some of Holly, thats bound to encourage new shooters!

As suggested, try the larget Ft bags. They are good. ETL FTC sell them for £27, see Keith Worboyes.

On the ft course you have to take the standers standing, but could take all other kneeling. My kneeling position is not much less stable than my sitting one. Dont know what your is like?

As for Prone, the trouble is with course preperation? Usually there are just a few people putting each course out. The extra work needed to clear / level a shooting position for prone shooting would put quite alot of extra work into preparing a course, dependng on the venue. Our club is a disused Quarry and so quiet eneven in places. Every time i put a course on i like to move the firing line and I dig out new fox holes for people to sit in / on as flat a surface as i can, the extra work needed to dig out enough space for prone would probably not see me doing it!
    Other grounds are much better suited to prone shooting. Sometimes all that is needed is a strimmer to cut the grass?

Prone in ft, you cant rest the rifle butt on the floor as with Hft.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It's a bloody good question!

It's likely you wont have everything sorted day one. If you have a rig thats comfortable in sitting, thats a massive head start, but don't worry if you haven't, find yourself an instructor/coach and they can advise. Make sure whoever you're working with knows you have back problems. BFTA Instructors and coaches are insured to do such, but cannot give medical advise, so if you feel pain/discomfort, stop and reassess.

I find that those with limited back flexibility, or just limited flexibility have a more comfortable position when the scope line and the part of the stock that is supported is wide. This does have some disadvantages, but those can be looked at later. But if you can shoot sitting in comfort, then the rest will come easier.*

Once you have that roughed in, you can then setup the rifle to it's optimum for sitting, move the butt, cheekpiece and lastly the scope into place. Once that's locked down, you can level the scope, zero it for windage, then do the ranges. Then it's a case of getting out and getting some experience. You won't know what you need to practice on until you get stuck in.

Targets are 8-55yds, so you'll need somewhere you can set that up. But I prefer to do as much work with an initial zero indoors first, as it's sooo easy to be off outdoors.

*yes i know top shooters may elect to build their stock around their weakest position like standing, but for a beginner, giving them the best chance to hit the most targets on a course (sitters) is where I suggest to start.

7. Kingplinker

Thanks chaps , very much appreciated .

Firstly my kneeling is my strongest position for most shooting situations as it doesn't put any strain on my back and neck , I didn't realise I could shoot kneeling instead of sitting . ( Is that a general rule or a regional thing ) ?

I have plenty of room to set the rifle up so that isn't a problem although I have no idea what to zero or on what mag etc so I think I will have to do some more homework .lol
    I am too used to fixed mag bushnell 10x40's for HFT you see and the closest I have come to altering PX is with my Falcon FFP !

I have tried the sitting stance and to be honest if I lay one leg down ( knee to the floor ) and use the other to rest the rifle on it's not too uncomfortable at all , this is where you tell me thats against the rules isn't it . :p

Looks like Bisley would be the closest for me so if the bug bites I may have to have a look there , I used to shoot at Bisley on the Friday night chip shop challenge so I am an old pro .... and never once had to buy the chips !!!

many thanks

Dave

8. Twang

Twang New Member

Club:
    Isfjorden FTK
    Flares and springers

Hi Dave - That'd be Jamesy, and the picture was taken after the january sales this year :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  9. NJR 100

Club:
    No, you can take them all kneeling apart from the standers. thats only 4 standing targets in a Gp, regional will be 2 or 4?
    Loys of people focus / range find on max mag, but then turn it down to shoot. up to you to find what works for you?
    Your discription of sitting is how i often have to take mine, right leg flat on the ground.
    Get yourself off to Bisley, lots of nice chaps and lasses there to help you out.

10. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

Dave,

Thursday night is more an FT night at Bisley, but there are FT shooters there at other times.

Guy is now a BFTA coach, so he may be able to help out.

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers

12. Kingplinker

13. Kingplinker

Update

Hi all

Just picked up a Tasco ( JAP ) custom shop 10-50x56 with all the dangly bits :D Which I need to set up .

Any ideas whats the best way to set it up ie : zero range etc

I have adjusted the scope and cheekpiece on my custom s400 although I think it would be far better suited on my CRX , saying that atleast it will give me a chance to try FT .

Would anyone like to chaperone me at Bisley , I really am a nice chap who likes charities , small animals and children . :D

many thanks

Dave

14. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC

Take a look on the BFTA site ( http://www.bfta.net/jsite3/ )in the Resources tab (2nd from left tab at top). Select Docs onluine option and then select Technical Manuals.

This should link you directly to it -> http://www.bfta.net/jsite3/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=61&func=select&id=5

Its the Setup Manual.

Dave.

15. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Come up Sunday at Bisley

We shall have a FT course out and also plenty of chaperones also coaches to help set you up.

Cant guarantee Guy will be there but thats not a bad thing :D

Loopy

16. RobF

Club:
    im up there tonight...

17. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    You do know that it's only your own knob that you're allowed to twiddle, don't you Dave? ;):D

18. Kingplinker

Thank you Dave - the scope has been packed out so I guess I am on the right path . lol

Hi Loopy , sadly can't make sunday but how often do you shoot and how long would it take for you to stop laughing at my poor technique ? :D

Hi Rob , can I just turn up on a Thursday and shoot / practice ? By the way does that Fox still pop in for it's evening meal ?
    many thanks

Dave

19. RobF

Club:
    I suppose so if you're a member or guest of someone up there, loopy can confirm :) (i'm still on probation)

Yeh, it still pops in now and then :D

20. Kingplinker

Sorry Charles I missed you Oop there mate :)

You , a probo :eek: Jeez and I thought you were the main man :D

atvb

Dave