Feelings on targets under 10 yds/metres?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RobF, Oct 25, 2009.

?

Targets under 10yds/m are...

1. a valid target

49 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. a test of shooter

34 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. a test of equipment

17 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. a pointless target

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. a safety hazard

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. a test on who has a scope that can focus on it (FT)

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. a gimme/break from hard targets

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. a target for beginners

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    What are people's feelings on targets under 10yds/metres? It's not a scientific poll, and it's NOT aimed at any format especially...

(just interested to see what people think about sub 10 targets)

2. Flannelmeister

Flannelmeister New Member

Every time I go to shoot a target under 10 yards at WAFTA competitions, I normally see a few misses on the faceplate outside the kill so I guess they are not "gimmes" for everybody.

3. KJC

KJC New Member

I think they are a valid target.
    We have 1 at 9yds with a 3/8" hole and that gets a good pasting with plenty of valid hits. We also have 1 at 29yds with a 1/2" hole and people find that one easier to knock over. Also it shows how well one is acquainted with their equipment.

4. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Sub 10 yards are certainly not gimmie's!

I've missed two this season !

8 Yarder at Nelson GP buried in a pile of dry stone,miss dialed it split at 12 o'clock didn't fall :(

10 Yarder at Europeans,miss dialed it split at 12 o'clock again didn't fall :(

The latter one at the Europeans, there was a guy stood behind me in the general public & a heard him say " Fu**king hell don't know how he missed that with a scope like that " , as i looked round he did dissapear quickly before i had chance to reply to his words of wisdom ! :p

Yes i think they are a valid target,& test of the shooter knowing his or her equipment ! But hey what do i know !

Living the dream

Scott,

5. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    How many people get the 8 yarder then forget to re-dial and are a turn out for the long one?

6. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Never done that ..................... ( yet ) thank god ! But no a few that have :eek:

Living the Dream
    Scott,

7. rich

rich Active Member

I think you need to be a little more specific with the question; what size kill are we talking about? Some of the poll options are true for several cases; if you haven't worked out your aim point or clicks then it's a bit of guesswork, and rangefinding is important. A scope that won't go below say 11 yards is not much of a help.

Personally I think they are a valid target but I wouldn't want a full course made up from them.

8. RobF

Club:
    True Rich... it's multiple answer, tick which ever ones you feel fit. The kill size is part of it, if you don't like big ones then but like small ones, different answers apply.

9. rich

rich Active Member

I voted and chose lots of the options. I think it's only a beginner's target if it's a standard size kill, and not always a gimme even then for some beginners.

10. Ratgunner

Ratgunner New Member

Ratgunner

Got hoisted myself at Kibworth open this weekend, happily aimed off at a 15mm kill at around 7metres,
    And was rewarded with a loud clang?

Then I remembered my comp gun is being serviced at BSA
    and I was shooting My FX with a 32x scope DOH! :eek:

With one mil dot up at under ten metres stamped on my dozy brain I managed to kill two more shorties and produced a PB for that gun, well chuffed,

Good Job I Only Shoot For Fun :rolleyes:

11. CoolId

CoolId New Member

Variety is the spice of life - including reducers. It was nice to see a few more reducers than usual at Bisley today as they were running short for an 80 target course. Always remember - everybody has to shoot the same targets

Regards

Dave

12. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Personally I like them, not a gimme by any stretch of the imagination. Everyone practices 50-55yarders but like standing these rarely get practiced and sometimes people dont even have settings for them. This makes them tricky as a lot of people dont understand and dont know how to deal with these ultra close targets, hense a test of the shooters skill and understanding.

13. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Don't have any problems with them to be honest:D

14. raygun

raygun Non member

I feel that targets at 8, 9 and 10 yards are quite testing. I can only talk about HFT as that's what I shoot.

Normally they would be slightly larger than 15mm but none the less a challenge. Targets at these distances really make me think as unless you get your distance correct they can be missed easily.

As part of a course they are as justified as the longer distance targets.

ATB
    Ray.

15. chink

chink New Member

that was less than 7 ratty more like 5.5 i was well off:mad:

16. Dale

Dale Active Member

My own view on these targets has changed in recent years.

Having seen pellets rebounding off them and been hit by fragments as well my view, in the light of the ever present 'health and safety' culture is that they are a potential hazard and steps should be taken to alleviate risk.

Sorry if this sounds frightfully 'lily-livered' but the simple fact is I don't relish being the one with my nuts on the block if there is an accident involving a target such as this.

IMO we should consider going to 12 yards as a minimum distance, as that little extra distance seems to cut down on rebounds coming back to the firing point.

For indoor target shooting using low power rifles, I don't see any need to change.

17. Weevie

Weevie Banned

Hmmm...I've never been hit by a rebound from an 8 yarder...are you sure you're using lead-based pellets! :D

I voted for all the options except the negative middle three.

As long as there aren't too many and they're placed imaginatively...

18. rich

rich Active Member

Maybe we could go some way to minimise the rebound problem by careful orientation of the faceplate in respect of the line of fire. I'm thinking that the target could be placed so that the faceplate is inclined downwards or tilted towards the shooter by say ten degrees. Pellets hitting the paddle are very unlikely to come back through a small kill zone, and at short ranges the pellet should have enough momentum to overcome the additional work of tilting the plate back to vertical before the torsion spring makes it fall.

Perhaps also we might consider some kind of shroud?

Bounce back is something to be considered; we had a visitor's day for the public at our club soon after we opened in 2003, and a 25 calibre pellet came back from hitting a steel scaffold pole at ten yards. I put that down to the pole being "springy" and the pellet being slow and not shattering on impact. We don't use scaffold poles any more, oddly not many of us shoot 25 cal either.

19. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

I was hit on the arm by a rebound this year at the Emley GP , That target was 15yrds, 1st time this has happened in 8 years of shooting, The target face plate was slightly angled to the firing line and I was on the following lane, All the energy had come out of the pellet and If had my jacket on proberly would not have felt it.
    In germany their insurance states safety glasses must be worn as per the last worlds held there, I did question this at the time and that was the answer I received,Are 8 yrds targets safe, can't really answer that but I would not have one on my FT course at EDFTC unless it was a 25mm kill so misses would be rare, I voted the target as a gimme, but also Valid.

20. RobF

Club:
    I've been hit 3 times by rebounds off 8 yd targets... once in Swefta, once in FFTA, and once at CGC. One of them came close to my eye, but I wasn't shooting at any of them at the time...The eye one was on a plinking range, this summer. I spoke to the RO at the time and the target was moved closer out.

I can see them as a test, the variety of kill sizes used and the difference between 8-9-10 yds in trajectory terms can catch people out... but without wanting to be alarmist, I do slightly wince at them these days... I'm not sure whether some sort of baffle or coating on them is possible of if indeed the splashes came off a plate or kill.

Still, they do feel nice when they fall over, especially when you're having a bad day :D