Farewell mossies

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Feral, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Feral

Feral New Member

After a lot of testing I've come to the conclusion the dommy doesn't like mossies.It throws a 3/4" or so flyer every 4 or 5 pellets. It loves JSB 4.52's though which luckily I have a few tins of... I'll miss the flatter trajectory though :(

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    not much in it really...you might lose 5-6 clicks at 55 yds, but it's probably only going to put a click per every 5 yds across the range in that example anyway...

in fact, with exacts i've found them to sometimes fly quite close to the mozzies and take similar amounts of wind. I didn't realise a year or so ago that i was running at 10.6-8 ft-lb with the mozzies, i'd assumed they'd pick up to a higher speed to make up for their weight... in fact they were barely running 15fps faster. It's something you need to be aware of if you drop back down... if you've wound up to close to 12 with the mozzies, you might find your over with others...

sizing can help with the flyers... ymmv... but sizing also drops speed, so watch that limit on unsized.

i'm going to have a play with running mozzies slower, as i have a sneaky suspicion they like life better sub 800 out of the walther.

i'm playing with superfields at the moment... but i'm finding i'm really having to concentrate with all ammo to stop the flyers happening (it's not always them or the rig)...i've just noticed that if i look at the thin x-hairs i lose their position on launch, but if i look at the thicker part of the 30-30 then i can control it much better on take off. Seems to happen more on paper as well.

haven't done a definitive test yet, so can't comment further, but i wouldn't throw the superfields out of an equation... although they seemed to take the same average wind as the mozzies they didn't seem to vary from it as much... however i want to look into that further as it could be the zero just moving... and anyway, i've got 50k mozzies to blow, so i'm not going to be changing for a week or two.

whatever works, get loads of, stick to it, and learn it... i had fun and games just dialing out my crossover and the 1/2" shift took me a good few shoots to get comfortable with... :D so changing pellets could take a little settling in time.

about a year ago we were playing with different batches of mozzies and JSB exacts... and a 2 year old batch of AA fields came out top... and we all know how many people complain about dinked skirts on them...!

aiguns+pellets+long range+wind+human... it's like herding cats :D

3. RobF

Club:
    what batch no was on your mozzies?

4. Feral

Feral New Member

the batch was 500 08 / 01 but I know they're fine as I lose very few when weighing, they also shoot fantastically through the MK4. I was tempted to try running it slower as well. In the MK4 I get an average 7mm flatter vs 4.52's with the MK4.... I put 30 4.52s through a cloverleaf pattern at 35 yards then went back to mossies and got flyers again.

I am sure it's the pellet this time rather than driver error as I'd need to move my LOS across until the scope whites out to view some of the flyers. I'd be interested to see how winding yours down affects things Rob.

I'm just glad it seems to like the 4.52's which I have a few tins of left... herding cats is about right ;-)

5. RobF

Club:
    bloody eck, that's a flier!

if you have a batch of whatever that works, shoot it... don't spend time hanging onto something else... spend that learning the pellet that groups :)

6. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Rob I run my mozzies at 790fps this seems to solve the flyer problem;) 800+ I get the odd flyer:eek::eek:

7. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    Wondering why you bother with mozzies at 790fps as I would have thought that would give you a similar trajectory to 8.44 Exacts at 780fps. Thought the main advantage of mozzies was a flatter trajectory, or are there other benefits?

8. JAGXKRS

They seem to suit my gun;) still very flat:D and having seen the quality of JSB's lately I would'nt put them anywhere near my guns:eek::eek::eek::D

9. RobF

Club:
    to be honest, i only switched to mozzies after i bought a test tin and they grouped better than a batch of JSB's i had. I then bought a tube, then another bigger batch as they became harder to source and i was shooting so many, and i've just stuck with them through thick and thin. JSB's at the time were harder for me to get hold of...

They probably do fly fairly close to JSB's... cross testing between a steyr and a dommy between me and rich one day and our goups were about the same in the wind... and the trajectory wasn't really that far off (seems to vary between guns... some it's the same, some it's not)...

I can wind them up to around 800, where as I used to run JSB's at around 775-80... but really 20 fps makes naff all difference to wind... it's more a magic feather for your head in my opinion... and if that works, work with it. I did for a long time.

It seems all pellets go through their ups and downs... i've stuck with the mozzies when i've known that the JSB's would outgroup them from the tin... but I think despite the small differences, knowing i've shot with the same ammo for a few years has given me confidence in my windage instint with them.

10. Feral

Feral New Member

Seems I may have been too hasty. I just chrono'd the gun with weighed and sorted pellets and it was spitting out at 822-824 (11.87 - 11.97)... I am sure I checked it last week!

I've set it down to 795 and just need the wind to die down a bit to re-test.

11. Feral

Feral New Member

790-795 fps no fliers over 25 shots and tigther groups... that'll be the answer then ;-)

I am also really impressed with the reg, 6fps spread with weighed +/- 0.1gn

12. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

No excuses now then Cliff!:D;)

Ryan

13. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    Give him time Ryan, give him time. Us Sussex shooters don't come up with excuses, without a certain amount of thought. :cool:

14. Feral

Feral New Member

It's not the excuses Ryan it's the reasons that always seem to trip me ;):D

15. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

You're shooting a Walther now mate, the only reason that gun misses is because we don't do our job properly!;)

Ryan

16. JAGXKRS

That's not what you said at Bisley:p:p:p:p:D:D:D

17. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Maintanence is still a job and at least it had air in!:p;):D

Ryan