Falcon T50 or Nikko 10-40x56

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NewOnAir66, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    All the information/advice already offered is correct. I urge you not to jump into anything too quickly. If you buy cheap, the scope will be on the verge of being unfit for purpose and you will be stuck with it. I suggest that you carry on with your present scope, save up and buy the scope which will increase your shooting pleasure and hopefully last the rest of your shooting career and remember that quality scopes come on the market from time to time within KW.

garym, Dale, NewOnAir66 and 1 other person like this.
  2. scannerzer

scannerzer New Member

Club:
    mid ulster air rifle club

I was exactly the same, I just couldn't believe that I wouldn't be able to use any scope that had enough mag but if you can wait something will turn up that suits what your after

NewOnAir66 and NeilM like this.
  3. simona

simona Active Member

The Hakko made Deben/Tasco Custom Shop and Light Optical Works made Big BSA/Big Nikkos are on a totally different level to the generic China made Night eater level type scopes. It's worth remembering that the Deben 10-50 cost around £650 in 2000. It was by no means a cheap scope.

If you are prepared to wait and keep your ear to the ground you will be able to buy a decent scope within your budget. I have a spare Deben which I bought for, I think, £170. I used it to score 49 ex 50 at the Essex 50 last year only missing a stander - hardly the scope's fault. I put it on the gun the weekend before and had never shot a course with it prior to that event.

I have a Deben on my main rifle again now having used owned or tested a wide range of scopes including the latest IR Nikko, Leupold, S&B etc. You don't need to spend a pile of money if you are prepared to wait and know what you want.

Both the Deben and the Nikko are simple to use as they repeat on the ranges and are stable over a wide range of temperatures. Both range fractionally long in extreme heat. Debens range slightly short when it's very cold. There's very little else to know about them. The optics are not as good as say my Leupold Comp series or a S&B but they are decent and this is not something that crosses my mind when shooting.

I would be perfectly happy to use my 170 quid spare Deben at any comp. It's an effective an FT scope.

4. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC
    Thank you very much Simona. You're not planning to part with it are you? ;):rolleyes:

5. simona

simona Active Member

No I'm not planning to sell a Deben. Bide your time and something suitable will come up.

6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    It is frustrating to a new shooter to have to wait for kit to turn up, but it will. Ask around as much as possible as there is not doubt in my mind that a fellow club mate or someone in the region who has been shooting a long time will have a Deben, Tasco Custom Shop or BSA just sitting in a box at home. They ARE out there, you just have to find them.

Dale and NewOnAir66 like this.
  7. beaker

beaker Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    If you can, have a look through a Big Nikko and a T50/T502. see what suits you. Me and daughter use the T50's and at GP6 she had issue with her gun so i took the butt hook of my gun and she used that, bear in mind only used it on plink range before comp and come's off the course with a 40, Get what suits your eyes and learn it.

NewOnAir66 likes this.
  8. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

Wot he said⬆️⬆️

9. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

And him, he knows his stuff

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I’d go with the Konus.

I personally never seen or heard of it or seen one being used by anyone but as you say you don’t like to go with the crowd.

BTW the crowd in here (and the majority of those replying in this thread) are experienced FT shooters who know what they are talking about e.g. Simona was 2nd at the world FT championships TWICE and won the Euros.

11. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I’ve already put her in touch with someone selling a big BSA delivered with sidewheel for 200 quid. Looks like she doesn’t take the advice given so good luck with the Konus.

12. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    You can take a horse to water and all that !!!!!!!!!!:(

Conor likes this.
  13. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC
    I appreciate people's input, especially the ones who took the time to qualify their recommendations with further explanation so that I can better understand.

I'm simply looking into options that are both affordable for me and and work.

I have no aspirations to compete at the moment and if that changes in the future, I'm happy to invest in a better scope once I've recovered from the initial outlay for the gun.

In am new to this and I don't know who people are, so your sarcastic tone and hostility is totally uncalled for.

NeilM likes this.
  14. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC
    Your mate was extremely rude. When I asked him how old the scope was he told me to f* myself.
    If answering a simple question is too much trouble than don't waste people's time. Maybe 200£ is nothing for you guys but I certainly wouldn't throw money at someone who talks to me like that !

scruff likes this.
  15. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Added to my list:confused::confused:

SteveC200 and Conor like this.
  16. Dale

Dale Active Member

Unfortunately it is a case that you can either buy cheap or buy right.

The majority on here are apt to recommend the 'Big Nikko' because it has been repeatedly proven that it does exactly what is required in FT and can cover you all the way from club shooting right up to world championship level.

The cheap scopes e.g. Konus etc might suffice at the club, but if you look to progress they are apt to be found wanting. The next problem is for all intents they would be considered a throwaway item as it is pretty unlikely anyone would be interested in offering any p/x value on them so you would be stuck with it.

I understand totally the limited budget, but in all honesty it would be more beneficial to wait and save extra to get a recognised performer rather than rush in and buy something that will be sub-standard.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    NewOnAir66 and Lavant_Lad like this.
  17. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC

Thanks Dale, I have taken all the good advice on board and will wait for the right deal to fit my budget, ideally from someone who doesn't insult me ;)

scruff likes this.
  18. Dale

Dale Active Member

A wise decision.

Keep scanning the sales section, Nikko's and the big BSA's do turn up, but if well priced apt to shift quickly.

In regard of the age of scopes the big BSA's are going to be getting on in years now, but provided they haven't been abused are apt to still be good performers.

Where possible if you do go S/H always better to do a face to face deal so you can see the merchandise and hopefully try it out.

NewOnAir66 likes this.
  19. petethepram

petethepram New Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsman Field Target
    Hi I shot with you on Sunday at the club. Pete with the Steyr, hold fire on buying anything just yet, you need the right scope for the job otherwise you will not be happy with Your shooting and you really need to look through the scopes to get an idea of what you like. Better to delay than buy something unsuitable. Learn from my mistakes !!!
    Optics warehouse have taken a number of big Nikos in recently as trade ins against the new Falcon scope give them a call and see if they can help you out with a big Niko, that will do the job.

20. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC

Hi Pete,
    Its all your fault anyway...if only you hadn't let me shoot with your rifle ;):p:)
    . It was just all way too much fun.

I have called them but nothing there at the moment. I keep looking and in the meantime I stick with all the helpful woodsmen and let you sort the range finding for me :)