Falcon T50 **NEW SCOPE** to be launched ?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Feb 13, 2010.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Sorry ! but not sure where to post this request...

Can someone obtain a freebie Falcon T50, like Robf did whith his March whopper scope and do us a review ?

Saw something on imminent marketing of this scope in 2010, and its been reviewed & checked out by a chap on Airgunbbs.

The good news is supposedly, It will be 20% (if I recall correct) CHEAPER than the BIG Nikko (but lets wait & see at what price Its launched at), AND have better/superior optics.

Bad news...seems a tad heavier..or lighter :confused: than the BIG Nikko...whoever you believe...but appears to have the OLD BIG Nikko scope shape (ie: bulge in center bit...good, bad, or no difference thing ?), and longer as well ...good or bad point ? I dunno...

Obviously am no scope or optics expert, but can anyone from STB forum, care to shed whatever info. they have, and continue this thread with more authority ?

Thanks

NB: The pic is not mine, but shows the size of the 'mutha':D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Be under no illusion, the full RRP was paid for the March ;) A Walther, a t35, and a leup mk4 all went to make the funds up for that.

3. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    hav you made the decesion on the smitt&bender then,the guy from hungry got one matey who is doing a bit in the midlands

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    having seen and looked through one last weekend, if it does come in at £400 it will knock nikko sales. It looked big, something like the mk1 nikko /Bsa as apposed to the current slim Nikko.

5. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    No kidding ? ...Ouch ! :eek:

I thought you were well connected in the industry, and perhaps, mistakenly on my part, thought It was a temporary 'freebie' loan by the manufacturer...

mmm... Who pays full RRP nowadays ?? ... me too then...would appreciate your suppliers contact details :D !

Would that be 1.5K thereabouts, reduced by 50% ? :D

6. RobF

Club:
    Ha! Well, the prices are here... and that's what I paid, no discount and with a CC surcharge on top. ;)

I might mention I shoot for a team, or whatever, if I think it will get me better service, but I don't chase discounts or freebies... that way i'm only beholding to my wallet and nothing else. ;) (unless the missus finds out:eek::D)

7. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    ouch i fort i spent some money on stuff rob,i spent 1650 on my new steyr and s/h leup comp from the states and that only come to 2100 (does the misses no how much you paid)

8. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Bloody hell Rob though the schmidt was dear :eek:
    Nearly had one to day but litts in Newport were sent 2 second focal plane version from the other branch.I had booked the day off to play but all I did was set someone else,s FFP schmidt up for them
    least I got to have a play with one even if were not me own:D

Gary

9. Bill Peat

Bill Peat TALLENTLESS PUMPERTEER

Club:
    PURLEY CHASE
    t50

had a look at one last sunday,nice bit of kit though only two things need adressing, eye relief a bit fussey & cross hair line abit too thick for my taste. mind it was a pre production model.

10. RobF

Club:
    Mine is about the same price... the 8-80's are more expensive. Remember some of them have IR's on as well.

The 8-80's and the 5-50's are a 34mm tube, (i think), so that's an expensive route for mounts as well.

I would figure that the big ones are going to need to be that price... if the glass will hold it, it will need to be extremely good to take 80x.

I expect that it's pushing the limits of amorphous glass, and the low dispersion technology and optical resolution will be on the edge, and that's why the glass is so good. I expect the next jump will be to use something like crystaline flourite like the big canon primes use, but then that really will be really expensive... if canon's big primes are all £5k+ and they sell a boat load, think what a low volume scope would be...

anyway, about that t50... happy to have a peek if one comes my way :)

11. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Looked and liked too. Would like to try it with a pukka sidewheel on the get an idea of the ranging. Also spotted the eye relief "issue" but in 2 minds over this, yes it makes it a bit more awkward to use and set up, but also makes sure you have your head in exactly the right position each and every time. Optics looked good and clicks nice and positive.

Will

12. Jon

Jon Member

Sorry Peter you will be one of the last to know:D
    Theres another one going on your gun next week:shot:

Took a piccy today.
    At present there are only prototypes the model we are interested in is the T50B FT as there are three other configurations for centrefire.
    Less weight than old BSA/Niko and about same as S&B FT.

As is the latest spec is being modded (only sent back last Monday) and may not be with me in time for Shugborough next week. Probably fair to say mechanically it will represent what production jobbies do.

Those that recognise the anomolies with BSA/Niko turrets i will confirm the T50B with estimated 35 MOA tallies up with Leupold. Further to that no change of zero as mag is dropped, thats a first for nearly all manufacturers.

It will be a lot more than 20% cheaper than Niko as well, not cast iron confirmed at present but working on sub £400 RRP.
    No one can write a review at present as anything is liable to change, next week we will know more.

13. Jon

Jon Member

14. NJR 100

Club:
    thats a nice wheel Jon, did you make it?

15. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    BIG GULP & double or triple that !... downloaded the pdf, and the prices want to make me 'man' cry ! :eek:

Like another comment, I thought a S&B is quite dear at 1600, with all bits added rounding off under 1900...

Thats roughly 3 or 4 second hand Big Nikkos to a S&B ...but on the March scope, Its the equivalent of a base price of 4 or 5, to high price of 5 or 6 Big Nikkos
    :eek:

Another thought...whoever wins the election this year, VAT is going up to 20%, by the way.

The Falcon T50 will surely appeal to a lot of us, if Jon is correct and the Falcon retails a tad under 400 quid; which frankly sounds like a 40 quid spend compared to the prices of S&B or March scope :D

16. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    money is only one side. Having Looked through several schmidt,s and a falcon t50 I,ll spend the extra dosh thanks:shot:

Gary

17. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Jon you keep teasing me with that and i'll end up buying the bloody thing off you! :D

Will

p.s. anyone buying kidneys (one carefull owner) nowdays? :D

18. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -

Good point Gary, and one with which I agree with in principle...

As general consumers as buyers of guns for our beloved hobby, I have never seen or come across someone start this sport/FT or HFT by buying scopes first (at prices equal to, double, triple, or quadruple the cost of the gun)...I know you dont mean this, but raising a point.

BUT, as we get more 'experienced' in the sport after having had the chance to buy other guns and shoot in comps., there is a natural tendency to start spending more dosh on the optics to get more out of the sport in terms of better personal preformance/results.

The question that most of us think of, but havent said openly is: at what point does a 3K, 2.5K, or 2K, or 1.6K scope justify its price versus a Big Nikko or Falcon T50 , at 600 or 400 pounds ?

On the cost/return ratio, is there an objective way of ascertaining, like out of a score of 100, what a S&B FT is ?, versus, a Big Nikko ? (has someone out there ever done this type of excercise ?)

Put another way, If the S&B or March are optically superior (which I gather they are versus Nikko or Falcon T50), does the price diffential (spread) between them, make it good value ?

Eg: (below is purely ILLUSTRATIVE & NOT scientific , to make my point)

Lets say as follows:
    March FT scope: 99 Points for optics (cost: 2400 base price= 6 Falcons or 4 Nikkos)
    S&B FT scope: 98 Points for optics (cost: 1600 base price of scope = 4 Falcons or 2 maybe 3 Nikkos)
    Falcon T50 scope: 96 Points for optics (cost: 400 pure guess)
    Big Nikko scope: 95 Points for optics (cost: 600 )

March- Cost per point 24.24 ( 2400 divided by 99 points)
    S&B - Cost per point 13.32 (1600 divided by 98 points)
    Falcon - Cost per point 4.16 (400 pounds divided by 96 points)
    Nikko - Cost per point 6.31 (600 pounds divived by 95 points)

Then its obvious that Falcon has the cheapest cost per point (best Value relative to Its Optics- or Best Bang for Buck ratio), and make one wonder how a spread of only 3 points difference "optically" and quality wise....is worth AN additonal 2K.

Therefore, although in principle I said I agreed, and all things being equal & relative to one's budget - a thin wallet dictates I buy a future CRATE LOAD of Falcon T50 before the Vat 2.5% rise ! :D

19. NJR 100

Club:
    Its an interesting point, comparing scope price against performance.

First things first though, no scope guides a pellet and thus increases scores, thats the guns job after imput from the fool holding it!

Having just picked up a falcon T35 at £200 I am considering why i spent £800 on a mk 4 luep! The lupe is brighter, but not by much. Will be interesting to see how they compare in a dark wood.

Early days granted but the £200 falcon range finds just as well as the £800 luep. Does build quality cost the extra? I have to say I dont think any scope could be worth more han £800, current Luep prices.

20. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    2k scopes

i was looking at getting a s&b.then i asked myself is it 3 times as good as my leups .no

am i miissing targets because of my scope , no

when was the last time i miss range found a target , cant remember

answer to above

stick with my leupolds