Falcon T35 Question

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Magic Bus, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    I have one of these which focuses down to 11 yard unaided. My question is this. Is 12 yards not the usual minimum focus distance and am I missing out out on slightly bigger gaps at 45 to 55 yards with the way my scope is set up? If this is so can it be reparallaxed by the usual method of removing the locking ring at the front and turning the lens? I have a CFA so min. distance is unimportant. Thanks in advance :)

2. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    My T35 would focus down to 11 yards as well - so that must be quite common.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    talk to " Rich ", he re pa'd his... :)

4. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Thanks that's worth knowing.

5. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Maybe he'll be along to comment :)

6. rich

rich Active Member

Yes, he's here.

Actually I haven't re-pa'ed mine. It goes down to 11 yards like most of them do. I have a 50 foot CFA on the front, in a Butler Creek as per normal, and that goes from roughly 16 yards down to 8 or less. The sidewheel has markings on the right hand rim for the plain scope, and on the left hand rim with the CFA in position.

I usually prefer to rangefind the close ones in the overlap region (11 to 15 yards) with the CFA in place, but then swing it out of the way and take the shot with the bare scope after refocussing. There is always the risk that the CFA does not sit dead square to the optical axis, and that would introduce an image shift.

This may help: [​IMG]

Do my gaps look big in this???

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Thanks for that Rich. I have a 5" wheel on mine and the gaps look about the same. I think the wheel on yours is smaller, in fact I'm pretty sure I got a wheel same as yours in the box when I bought the scope. It also seems 11 yards is the normal min focus distance :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    T35

Some can be done, the early ones like mine can't if you ring Nick at Falcon and give him the serial no he may be able to tell you. I have found Nick at Falcon to be very helpful.

9. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Thankyou for that. Another T35 comes out of the woodwork! Are you using it in the WL?

10. fredyninefingers

fredyninefingers Non member

i,ve just bought one on airgunbbs which is described as haveing very clear optics,just thought i,d give one a try,heard alot of good things.........

11. rich

rich Active Member

This is the standard wheel that is in the box from new.

Two changes that I have made, and I think I've mentioned them before. First, the small wheel is a very close fit over the two O rings, and crushes them a bit too much for my liking, making the wheel stiff to turn. It's not the action inside the scope, it's just friction of the wheel and the O rings. So I've opened up the internal diameter of the small wheel by a tiny fraction, about 0.1 to 0.2 mm, using wet and dry paper on a suitable mandrel, then polished. The O rings are still pinched but not crushed so the water-tightness is not put at risk.

Second point, the small wheel has a slot machined on the underside, and the square shaft of the focussing movement sits in this slot. There was a bit too much clearance, and the gap had been taken up by a kind of threadlock compound. I cleaned all that off and made a top hat shaped shim 0.11mm thick that sits over the square brass shaft and packs out the gap between the shaft and the slot in the wheel. Much better job, and any backlash - which there isn't - would have to be from the action rather than from a loose wheel.

0.11mm shim is quite easy to find. It's the thickness of a Cola can.:)

I suppose I was just being picky, looking to improve an already superb scope. I've seen scopes where the wheel has been too tight on the O rings and it's dragged them and torn them up. At one time it was a standard mod on the mark 1 big Nikko to take out one of the O rings and bin it.

12. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Cheers Rich, I know you have helped with some of my questions before :) I shall probably not mess with mine as we have a consensus on minimum focus. I am very happy with the performance of mine, which is the 1/8 click version by the way ( 8 yards just comes in on one full revolution of the turret) and indeed it hasn't been unduly bothered by changes in temperature.

13. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Winter League

No using big nikko The T35 sits on our dinning table waiting for me to buy some adjustable mounts, as i have tried to set it up but found it needed too much packing at the rear to keep the optical cente. I now have a spare/back up pro target so i'll probably try again when the winter league is over (i'm using it sporting) and the weathers a bit warmer.

14. rich

rich Active Member

Can you use 35 mag in sporting?

15. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    12x max in bfta.... ;)

16. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Sporting

No sorry I should have made it a bit clearer it is currently set up up with a 10 mag viper for sporting.
    T35 is on dinning table waiting for winter league to finish.