FALCON PELLETS 7.3 g

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Evening chaps

Saw a tin of Falcon .177 cal pellets today weighing in at 7.3 g - we all know light pellets are a bit problematic further out but has anyone actually tried these ?

many thanks

Dave

2. springboy

springboy Member

I've bought a tin of these to try in my Prosport,went to the club today and zero'd them.I must say i'm pretty impressed with them,didn't seemed to be effected by the wind very much,even out to 55 yards no need to aim outside of the 40mm kill zone.I've been using Mozzies up until now but i think these have just got the edge on the mozzies.Needless to say i've ordered another 10 tins,and they are £2 cheaper than the Mozzies.My Prosport is doing just under 11 ft1b but they were still spitting out at 816-819 fps so nice and quick down range.

3. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Planning on testing them this week:cool:

4. Kingplinker

Please post your findings on here Chris .

cheers

Dave

5. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi guys who makes them:confused: jsb or Bob/R:D
    Cheers Don

6. Kingplinker

If Bob made them he would have posted the second after I put the thread up ! lol

7. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    nah!

he would have posted well before you :D

8. Kingplinker

LOL .... true :D

9. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    These may work

But most important these pellets may work:p:D:D

10. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

I'll give them a whizz if I can lay my hands on them. As with Mossies/JSB Exact Express I suspect that they'll be better in springers than they are in my PCPs.

11. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Just gave them a trial at Sywell GP today - it was VERY Windy!!! but what better place to test a new pellet.

Shot through a Styer LG100 barley twist barrel at 831 fps - I normally shoot JSB Exacts at 770, 830 is what the Falcon's were doing without adjusting the power on my Styer.

Initial range testing on Saturday gave very good results - in a light wind they group as well as JSB Exacts and because of the higher velocity were coming in about half a mildot higher on my 55 yard zero.

Testing on the zero range at the GP seemed to be good, again getting thumbnail sized groups of 5 pellets at 55 yards.

Onto the course - the wind today was vicious! Aiming off plate for quite alot of the targets.

Disaster - I put in the lowest score I've ever put in in SFT by a long way. To be fair, so did alot of shooters on the day, but from this shoot my conclusion was that they're excellent in calm conditions, but as soon as the wind starts to blow, they become unpredictable and seem to take more wind than regular JSB Exacts.

12. Brian.Samson

Club:
    I've got 3 tins going spare if you want to try them bud

13. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Bri,
    I'd love to take you up on the offer but I suspect that, the way things are going at the moment, they'd be a pile of white dust in the bottom of the tin by the time I got to collect!;):D

Cheers anyway Bri!

14. JAGXKRS

Brian is this out past 45yds or like Deviants out past 35???

15. Brian.Samson

Club:
    I've not tried the Deviants personally, so I can't really comment. They look like a stumpy JSB Exact, the skirts seem a little badly formed and scraggy but that doesn't seem to affect the groups.

This was on a BFTA GP course so the majority of the targets were out past 40 yards - I'd say that on the sub 40 yarders they shot about as well in the wind as Exacts - but out past that I was having to give more wind than the lad I shot round with who was using Exacts - not a particularly scientific test, but after 50 targets it was enough to convince me that they offer an advantage in terms of trajectory but apparently no advantage in terms of bucking the wind and my gut feeling was that they gave me an overall disadvantage.

They might make a pretty good HFT pellet unless it gets really windy. To give you an idea of how windy it was today, I was giving about 3-4 mildots of wind at 50 yards on the ones I managed to hit, which is probably a good 4 or 5 inches - well off the plate!.

16. JAGXKRS

I've had to do that at 35yds at Quarry:eek::eek: but might be worth try:D

17. Kingplinker

So fairly windy then Brian :eek:

We all know defiants suffered past 35 yards but these falcon pellets are tiny in comparison , I wonder if they will take as much wind even though they are lightweight pellets due to the 'dumpy size ' ?

atvb

Dave

18. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Hiya Dave

Yeah, I had the same idea. The trouble with the waisted diablo style pellets we use is that there seems to be very little real research into the ballistics of them. We tend to rely heavily on the normal external ballistics calculations and I just don't trust the magic "BC" figure. It seems to give a reasonable approximation in terms of trajectory, but I believe it's waaaay off when it comes to calculating windage.

For example, according to normal external ballistics calculations for windage (Chairgun) - the Falcons should take approximately 3mm of extra wind in the conditions I shot in today. But, I believe that there are additional factors that dictate how well a pellet will perform in wind.

So when it comes to testing how well a pellet will perform in the wind, we have little option other than highly subjective tests in the real world.

I thought it was worth a punt to try them out today for a bit of fun because given all the variables I couldn't be sure unless I'd actually tried them in anger.

Give them a try - you might come to a different conclusion.

19. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Beth uses them Dave & now she knows some aim points for them shoots really well with them, she shot a pb today & knocked alot of the long ones down in the field, I will sertainly be trying them & will do some testing out on my permission when windy to see how well they stand up at max distance. They certainly do fly flatter though.

20. Kingplinker

I keep meaning to nick some from Beth , great to see her get her PB yesterday mate ... did you give her your points ? lol

We must set aside some time to give these pellets a test mucker .

atvb

Dave