Falcon Accuracy pellets

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Artfull-Bodger, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Have any of you guys tried the Falcon accuracy in .177? (JSB RSn in another tin)

I recieved a few tins this week and took my HW100s and a HW98K down the range to do a few quick tests!

I bought them to see if the light weight (7.33grains) would be beneficial in the springer

a quick chrono with the 98 before leaving saw 775 with 8.4grain JSB
    802 with 7.9grain Mossies
    826 with the Falcons

I decided to take the HW100 with me at the last minute but didnt chrono it so have no idea what they were doing in that!

well in a 55yd grouping test two things stood out, my staple JSB exacts were beaten hands down by both the Mossies and the Falcons for group size through the HW100 :eek:

and the Mossies drop exactly the same amount as the Exacts, which suprised me being lighter?

I had the fortune to get a totally still period of over an hour where there was no wind at all and during this period the Falcons recorded a tiny group 9mm accross with six of the ten shots actually going through the same hole leaving a .22 sized hole in the card with mickey mouse ears where the other four hit, compared with 14mm for the Mossies and 19mm for the exact!

this had me grinning like a fool untill the wind started back up and then it went to hell in a basket with a line of pellets stretching off to the left as the wind speed increased and decreased, both the Exact and the Mossies made better groups in the wind with the Mossies coming out on top!

bear in mind however I had not set the rifle up to fire them at the limit (circa 855fps) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these pellets at max muzzle velocities, as it stands I would be reticent about using them on a comp if the wind drift is so severe, I am however changing to Mossies to give them a go!

Mike.

2. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Wait untill you try them with a light wind blowing, you'll need a barn door to measure your group size :eek::eek::eek::D:D

3. cinstone

cinstone New Member

Indeed. Some time back I tested the Falcons at the request of my local shop. He said he would like to know how they did at 55 yards with my EV2, but as there was somebody on the plinking range that day I didn't bother to put out my own target at 55 yards, but did test them at 40 yards. With a light wind they managed groups, if that's the right word, of around 1 1/4" - 1 1/2".

They are great in lower powered stuff, such as B.S.A Meteors and my Mk VI B.S.A Airsporter, which is set up for bell target shooting, at short distances, say 6 yards and 10m.

Chris.

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Hi Mike,
    Not a wise thing really not to chrono the rifle, you may have been over!

Anyway, mozzies dont drop as much in my guns as Jsb, but then I am shootingg them ar 805 -810 fps so the + 30fps makes a difference over Jsb. Suggest you try setting up at the right fps for each pellet via chrono.

Falcons are great out to 45 yards but utter pants after that in aany amount of wind. I shot them at 840 fps. As such, there is very little drop and to me they would be my Hft choice / set up, but not good enough for ft due to wind factor.

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I forget there's no wind in HFT.:p;) If they are badly affected by wind, use them for a paper weight or give them to someone you don't like, no point trying to hit a 15mm kill zone with them. Same thing happened with Defiants, they worked great indoors but get them outside and they weren't predictable at all.

6. NJR 100

Club:
    Had no real problems out to 45 yards, the most accurate pellet I have tested, hence my reason why for me they would be a good Hft pellet.
    I could quite happily to a group the size of 5p out to 35 yards with them, bit of wind effect (half to inch) 35 - 45 but past 45 and it was lottery.

7. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Is a 5p sized group at 35y really the most accurate pellet you've tried?:eek:

8. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

I bought them for the springer to use on the informal HFT shoots at Nelson and chrono'd them through the HW98 but took the HW100 with me as an afterthought, it was simply curiosity to see how well they would work through it, didn't expect groups that small in no wind though, that was a real suprise!

bearing in mind prechrges produce higher power readings with heavier pellets im more concerned at running them too low and that was what conrtibuted to the loose groups in wind, but seeing as other people have had similar problems with them I wont bother adjusting the HW100 to get better results, going to give Mossies a go though!

9. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Have you ever actually shot a UK National course cos you don't half talk some bollox:cool:

10. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

Tried them down the club out to 30 yds , one pellet hole group after that useless. Probably good for southern hunters.

11. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Going to do some more tests with the Falcons through a springer, and if I can figure out the wind drift with them running max fps will try a HFT shoot to see what happens!

as for the Hw100S after today I am swapping over to Mossies, they shot two 11mm ten shot groups today at 55yds, bear in mind thats off a shooting table with the rifle bedded down on a padded rest and a bean bag (before anyone gets the daft notion i can shoot) and watching the light wafts of wind very carefully before each shot!

problem is, if i miss now i have no excuses left, milbro caledonians it is then!;)

12. NJR 100

Club:
    Which part do you think i am not correct on then?

13. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

same effects in my FWB/Steyrs and AA stuff

I can get one holers at 55 yards (rested), but give them a whiff of wind, and the umpire will call a wide :D

14. Feral

Feral New Member

I trid them and they were so good when it was still that I wanted them to work but same as most others I found they took too much wind so have parked the tins I bought.