FAC but no FAC gun?

Discussion in 'UK Airgun Law' started by Silver brewer, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Silver brewer

Silver brewer New Member

If you own a sub 12ftlb airgun, can you obtain a FAC just so your arse is covered should some pellet combo take the gun past the limit?

Silly question I know, but I was just curious.

2. raygun

raygun Non member

You can put an air rifle on ticket.
    The power is immaterial. The rifle goes on ticket at say 13FPE and once on ticket you can reduce it to under 12FPE.

You can then only use it on specified land (until you get an "Open" ticket).
    You will not be able to use it at most airgun clubs and in most competitions as the insurance would prohibit it.

On the plus side you would be able to get a "European Firearms Pass"

ATB
    Ray.

3. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    To have a FAC to must have a reasonable excuse to need one and somewhere to shoot it that is suitable. This would be either a club or land that has been approved by the Police; unless of course you have an open ticket in which case the onus is on you to make sure the land (and back stop) is safe.
    The reason you've given alone wouldn't be good enough.

4. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Plus if you put your rifle on ticket you would seriously devalue it should you ever want or need to get rid. Trust me I've been there and done it!

5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

To add to what others have already said..

For your purposes the rifle(s) would need to be on ticket; with all the associated hassle and a justification for owning each - which would be difficult if they were all sub-12. In addition the polis don't like people owning multiple guns of the same calibre / type, so you'd struggle if you had more than one.

Also, once a rifle has been on ticket most constabularies won't take it off again; so you're stuck with a sub-12 rifle on an FAC that nobody else will want - rending it effectively useless and worthless.

Finally, simply having a ticket is of absolutely no relevance unless the gun that goes over the limit is specifically listed on that ticket - as a certificate holder you're generally considered to be in a worse situation if caught with an OTT rifle; as the polis will surely use that as an excuse to revoke your license.

Finally, while I can see where you're coming from quite frankly it would be an utterly ridiculous proposition to put a rifle on a license to cover yourself against the possibility of it going over the limit..

6. raygun

raygun Non member

Just to give a little balance.

I have a friend who has an S200 doing around 12.5FPE on ticket. It's his only air rifle, he only hunts and never visits any airgun event with it.

He did this because of the SI which says "Capable" and with the situation of no standard test he decided that it was the safest thing to do to both protect himself from prosecution and the retention of his FAC.

In his situation I think it was a good thing to do but it will not suit the majority of airgunners.

ATB
    Ray.

7. Craig-P

Craig-P Member

Absolutely no chance of listing 'range use' for reason to own an FAC air rifle, the FEO won't pass that.
    You'd need to put vermin control and then you'd only get that passed if you had suitable land to use the rifle on.
    You'd then need to buy the FAC rated rifle from an RFD, you couldn't tune it yourself and write in on your ticket yourself. Then you wouldn't be able to use it at a 'normal' air rifle club as their insurance won't cover it.
    So you'd have a vermin control tool that wouldn't be allowed near a range - and if you'd bought it in .177, you'd have a white elephant as a .177 FAC rated air rifle is about as desirable as an invite to a pool party at Michael Barrymore's house.

That's about all I think :eek:

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Hmm, there's a plus 12ft-lb target club in Surrey I believe. Or was.

9. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Worplesdon
    A Club dedicated specifically to FAC airgun users and those wishing to "move up" to FAC status is now in existence. The Worplesdon High Power Air, club is situated just 5 mins from Bisley Camp. Currently the 7 acre site has formal 100/50/25yd ranges and covered firing points. Ample parking is available on site and a Pub is situated at the entrance! The WHPA ( as we are now know) has Officers appointed and a constitution drafted. Home Office Approval and NSRA affiliation is in progress and the Police have been consulted throughout on the formation and nature of the Club. The local Firearms Licensing Team will assist any prospective members in gaining variations to their certificates allowing range use. The WHPA will act as a primary Club for those wishing to shoot FAC air.
    Not sure if its still going will make a phone call;)

10. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    That's about 2 minutes down the road from me, don't see a lot of shooting going on there.
    The local Honda garage uses the ground as a car park during the week and the pub at the entrance closed about 18 months ago :mad: