Eyepiece rubber bits

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by AndyIoW, Apr 13, 2011.

1. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

A confusing title I know but they are call different things with different manufactureres.

I have noticed recently that the majority of these 'enhancers' are a real struggle to fit on the scope eye piece. I use a Bisley version, could not get on with the other ones. So my question is are there any out there that will fit on the eyepieces that are not such a struggle to fit.

Ideally I am after one that has a slightly larger diameter (about 5 to 8 mm) that is similar to the Bisley one that would fit on my Mk2 Nikko. Someof my club are also thinking of changing theirs if they can find a suitable one.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I use a hairdryer and having washed it in fairy liquid, they go on well then... the problem with a slacker fit is that they will move...

3. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I do warm mine up to fit but really just wondering if there are any slightly bigger ones out there?

It is the eyepiece adjustment that keeps mving when trying to force the rubber over it, one slightly bigger would help get rid of that part. Trie using unsulating tape to keep it in the right place but that did not wrk very well.

4. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    I got a couple of these of the bay of E:

They fit OK on my old 18-40 EFR, and stretched to fit on my Elite 6500. There is a ridge inside to act as a stop but it could be trimmed.

Best bit: £7 each.

5. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    white spirit

Try white spirit as a lubricant.
    slide into place then leave for white spiit to evaporate off.
    that's how they fit golf club grips onto double sided sticky tape.

6. Grayling

Grayling New Member

A proud Englishman from a once great country sadly
    Club:
    Fort airgun club
    Could anyone tell me what are the benefits from these rubber eye pieces I would imagine correct head alignment and eye relief for a start, but with respect are they a recognised asset or just a fad at the moment. I used to use one on a springer back in the 80's but that particular eye piece (what ever their called) was given to me and I remember it being quite uncomfortable but it did improve the scope image, maybe I had not fitted it correctly hence it being uncomfortable, but I noticed quite a few at the worlds last weekend.

Just asking like :).

7. NarkyMark

NarkyMark New Member

Club:
    TAWD VALE
    @Grayling
    I find they speed up eye relief acquisition, help with consistancy of the head/eye position and brighten up the objective view considerably by reducing unwanted stray light at the eye bell end! I still miss with it though! :D

8. Grayling

Grayling New Member

Club:
    Fort airgun club
    Cheers Mark ;), problem is I'm missing without one :eek:, so after reading your post I think I'll order the model recommended from Fleabay and at least give it a go :).

9. NarkyMark

NarkyMark New Member

Club:
    TAWD VALE
    I just bought a cheap Chinese one off the Bay (from a UK seller too :rolleyes:), they do the job, infact I got on with it better than the overpriced Bisley type with the sloped eye cup, but the one I got absolutely stunk and I mean stunk, apparently something to do with the Volatiles left over from Polymerisation process :confused: :) - I found to get rid of this stench that leaving it outside in the sun for a few days did the job! :cool:

10. Grayling

Grayling New Member

Club:
    Fort airgun club

Just put the one recommended higher up this thread on Ebay watched, that was Chinese made, I think £10.50 including postage. Is yours the same type Mark ?

11. NarkyMark

NarkyMark New Member

Club:
    TAWD VALE
    No mine was this type, as I said I didn't get on well with the sloped eye cup type, I suppose its what suits you best though : CLICK HERE

Edit: I bought mine nearly two years ago now and its still going strong, you might find that to get the correct eye relief you have to trim some off the end that locates over the eye bell.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  12. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Having been out at the club today I have found a revelation sort of. The current Bisley rubber bit I am using is about 6mm to long as it is forcing by eye out a bit further causing a fuzzy outside edge.

NarkyMark,

A quick query the length says 95mm is that total length? What would like to know is the measurement from where the eye piece of the scope to the where your eye would go is please.

JerryD

Looking at the link it looks like it concertinas a little bit, am I correct and is so how much. Looking for one that I get get about 40mm at the closest point (glasses wearer)