Eye surgery - replacement lenses. Anyone had them done?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by KeithW, Oct 30, 2018.

1. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    As above. How long ago did you have them done, how long did it take for any side effects (halo / flare) to reduce? And how bad were your eyes? I'm severely myopic (-7.75) and with a severe astigmatism. Thoughts?

pops likes this.
  2. mpr

mpr might not remember

Club:
    quarry hunters
    Conner mite say this is not shooting the breeze material.
    Try the medical journal

tony mccracken likes this.
  3. pops

pops Member

Club:
    anston massive
    Hi Mate

I had replacement lenses just over 4 years ago now and so glad I did

I would say mine took about a year to totally settle the flaring doesn’t totally go away you forget about it, Audi back lights at night are the worst they ghost like mad..

My eyes had deteriorated long & short vision and laser can only put it right in one department so you have to choose which one you want sorting & glasses for the other..

So I asked them what they could do & they said refractive lens exchange was my only option to correct both near & far sight

I can’t remember my prescription but they wasn’t great so if your consultant says it’s an option then go for it, I would do it again tomorrow

24 hours after the operation I took the patch off and I was reading all the small print I could find just for the craic

Don’t get me wrong it’s not a miracle but mine are a 100% better

Hope this helps in you decision

Regards

Pete

4. pops

pops Member

Club:
    anston massive
    Just to add the main reason I had mine done was so I could enjoy my shooting more no faffing with glasses or magnifying glasses on your scope..

5. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Club:
    Emly Moor FTC
    I had clear lens extraction / lens replacement in 2012 same prescription as contact lens prescription. Great vision immediately after the op. As Pete says Halo goes after about a year (from spot lighting, car headlights etc) although never a problem for driving. Would recommend the op and for me it's made scuba diving & shooting easier.

6. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    Well, I dunno what Connor mite or might not say (who is Connor?). But IMHO eyesight is a pretty much critical part of shooting. For the record, as a severely short sighted person my corrective prescription means that I see things as being a lot smaller than someone with good eyesight sees them. And adjusting the ocular lens on the scope to bring the reticle into focus to suit my eyeball means that I have a notably shallower depth of field than someone with good uncorrected vision (if I wear my reading glasses the d-o-f is noticeably better). So after my operation I'll be looking forward to targets appearing notably larger and seeing them more clearly over a greater range of distances. So yes, relevant to S-T-B, I'd have thought. :)
    Many thanks to Pete and Patrick for your positive and encouraging responses. As someone who has worn 'specs for 60 years I admit to approaching this adventure with a fair degree of nervousness!

7. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Keep us posted as an astigmatic, short-sighted person it's a relevant topic for shooting.
    One of the reasons I had to give small-bore up was my eyes would start to play up after a couple of cards, at least with FT you have a break between lanes.

KeithW likes this.
  8. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    I didn't want to use too many long words that might puzzle the folk who aren't afflicted with crappy eyesight :D One of the effects of the astigmatism I believe, is that I see the reticle as being out of true, even though the spirit level and plumb line says it is true (always looks as if the "big hand" is at 3 minutes past and the "little hand" at 33 minutes past). And I can get double vision in one eye!

PS I know they aren't really big hand and little hand ;)

9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    I had a mate who had lasik a few years ago with Boots I believe and apart from it costing him £6k for both eyes he was aghast to find that even though he could see perfectly at distance he then had to get reading glasses for anything under three feet.
    Previously he was fine under three feet so his work as a computer programmer was no problem and he only wore glasses or contacts for TV or driving. Now he was having to wear glasses for 12 hours a day and had paid £6k for the privilege.

The other thing he mentioned was how driving at night was a nightmare with what he called ‘god rays’ coming out of every light on a vehicle, presumably a result of the laser profiling.
    All in all he regretted having the surgery and wished he’d known that by gaining long vision, he’d then be giving up short vision as it were.

10. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    Happily, I'm not having laser eye surgery, its lens replacement. But I have been warned by the surgeon (and as mentioned above) I know I'll get halo / flare and it is unlikely to go away completely, but I currently get considerable refraction through my spectacle lenses, even though they are the thinnest, lightest possible, with anti-reflective coating. I also know that because of my prescription we will be pushing things and I may have to still use reading glasses - but hopefully they'll be off the shelf ones, instead of ones that cost me £500 a pop (that's on a two for one offer, one pair varifocals, one pair readers). And if I have to change my specs every 18 months - 2 years, I only have to live till I'm 95 and I'll be quids in!

C.Eaton likes this.
  11. IanC

IanC Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Exactly same when the wife had hers done