UKAHFT External Power Adjusters

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Scooby, Sep 2, 2010.

1. miketowler

miketowler Active Member

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    I think you’ll find it’s more on the side of stopping the neighbors cat being shot or the kids getting hold of the gun and either shooting there friend or themselves by mistake, it won’t stop the criminal aspect, my personal feeling is it will be a good thing and may well help the Airgun fraternity
    My new AA s510regulated had to go back as it went from about 11.4 to just under 13fps in less than a tin of pellets and there’s no way the mortals like me can adjust back down so I agree there should be some sort of customer adjustment

2. jackspratt

jackspratt Jack Spratt

Club:
    City of Stoke on Trent Rifle and Pistol Club
    Just a brief note to advise that IMHO a Steyr LG110FT 2014 with a black air transfer port and the capstan type adjuster, accessed without removing the stock, can be wound up to well over 20 ft-lbs. Possibly further!

Neither of the two capstan equipped LG110's that I used to own had any mechanism (that I could find) to prevent the power being raised externally and I therefore assumed that each could be taken well beyond the legal limit.

I saw a suggestion from one owner that a piece of carbon fibre tubing with a suitable internal diameter be slipped over the capstan with the stock removed, thus barring access to the power adjuster with the stock fitted. I have no idea if that would be considered a suitable preventative measure.

3. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft

jackspratt likes this.
  4. miketowler

miketowler Active Member

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
  5. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi
    You are correct in that it will not stop idiots adjusting the power of there guns over the limit and they know they are over the limit with Pcp or springers.
    And you cannot stop idiots shooting cats or swans or anything else which they should not shoot.
    The sensible shooters always suffer.
    Yes to your question there has been a few people refused licenses due to having depression on there medical records even though they are fully fit and recovered and they have taken action against the authorities and lost. Also people have been refused due to a stupid act they did as a teenager and some criminal record which punishment has been done and been clean for years.

6. dlloyduk

dlloyduk Over Gunned Amateur.

Club:
    NM
    I suspect that licensing may not be far away. I was recently informed that police Scotland are no longer issuing air weapons licenses to none residents.
    They will still issue temporary permits.
    I heard that this was a government decision and not a police decision. This was from someone speaking to Police Scotland about an application.
    I had no problems 6 months ago obtaining a Scottish AWL and living in England.

7. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    when did this post become about licencing?, personally should a licence be imposed I would deal with it,
    however I would never have a rifle without the facility to adjust the power, from experience I know that factory set anti tamper rifles can and do go overpower and this for me is unacceptable, I want to be sure I can always keep my rifles legal so I chrono regularly and adjust if needed,
    unfortunately in the unlikely event one of my rifles was ever sent for testing they would ignore what it was shooting at and no doubt try and prove it is "capable"

bow likes this.
  8. bow

bow Active Member

Well said frank. Thats all there is to it. Stay legal.

9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Unless something has changed in the past few years, the Police can hardly cope with normal FAC renewals/applications let alone take on the extra burden of a few million air guns that are kicking around.
    Last time I had a straight renewal with zero changes it stretched to over a year and they issued me two 'temporary' tickets which were identical to normal certificates. They lost all my documentation, though strangely not the cheque which was cashed within a week.
    Apparently the local FEL office had been savagely cut-back on resources but that just illustrates how bad an England / wales airgun licence would be.

10. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    It’s changed Colin. I just got my SGC and FAC air for .22 and .25 and it took three weeks from posting the application, to certificates arriving. In fact, I had to delay the home visit as my cabinet hadn’t arrived! So it would have been quicker.

As a side note. My Cricket has an external power adjuster which I discussed with the FEO during his visit. He wasn’t at all concerned by it. In fact, he said that if I ever did want to turn it up to simply get a variation and get it on ticket, ( I don’t want to, hence the bigger calibres on my FAC ).

The adjuster was fitted by me because the rifle kept going over the limit (mainly due to the poor conversion work from 30fpe to sub 12 carried out for the U.K. market before retail sale). A more ‘precision’ adjuster (along with several additional modifications) was needed to tame it.

As somebody posted, keep it legal (and demonstrate good intent) and it’s not going to be an issue, we’ll not for my FEO at least.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  11. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    Good job you dont live in the Merseyside's area cos you would still be waiting for your tickets after 8 months