Express or standard pellets

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by madplinker, Nov 27, 2019.

1. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi

I know you need to pellet test but what are most people's thoughts on express pellets or standard 8.44 pellets regarding spring air rifles.

2. mjoh

mjoh Member

Club:
    Broadlands A.R.C.
    Personally I dont think it matters. Find a batch that works for your intended type of shooting.

RAMBO likes this.
  3. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

With springers, it all depends on the individual rifle and how it is set up, David. In addition to the fact that some barrels prove inherently more accurate with one pellet, die, and/or batch...

...if your springer, and your mate's springer both achieve 780fps at the muzzle with 8.4gn, and his achieves 805fps at the muzzle with 7.9gn, that does not mean your rifle will also achieve 805fps with 7.9gn - it could be 815fps, it could be 780fps, or less, which obviously affects both trajectory and wind sensitivity.

No short cuts, I'm afraid. Only pellets and range time with your springer can answer your question.

Craigjohnmaz likes this.
  4. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    I think your 8.4 pellet is a better all round pellet, a lighter one may leave the muzzle faster, but it also slows down quicker, so by the time it's 30m down range it's got less energy and travelling no faster than the slightly heavier pellet which retains its power and momentum better over air gun distances. Ultimately you have to match the pellet to the gun like the other suggestions above, some people even enjoy the process :eek::D

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    It's a strange one as there's not many at the top of the HFT tree shooting 7.9's but i'm hearing some of the FT top tier are using the lighter pellet?

When they first appeared as Mossies they were very , very good and i shot 7,9s for a couple of years, then they changed to JSBs and i struggled to find a batch i liked. I know Neil Hague has been going through the same problems. However, it looks like a newer batch might be quite good after hearing Neil wax lyrical at the weekend.

Just for those who may be interested....Mostly tested through Steyrs but also a Anschutz and EV2. Won't suit every barrel but they are promising.

8.44 recent excellent batches,. don't worry about the head size as that is a load of chuff.

Batch 54
    Batch 46

The batch 46 (2019) which is a head size 4.53 (please see above for chuff comment) seem to be really, good.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    andyfin and pbrown like this.
  6. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    Any good 2019 7.9 batches?//?????///?????

MickyFinn likes this.
  7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Just to confuse matters further, keep an eye on velocity.

I have three 'good' batches of 8.44's, one from JSB and two from Air Arms, they are all accurate and produce excellent groups, but each at significantly different velocities from the same Tx200, so as well groups, check velocities when you are pellet testing.

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  8. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

In my TX200 the die 54 jsb exacts are pretty good. I've tried lighter pellets but through my particular rifle I would get horrible fliers. Maybe 1 in 10 shots would be almost an inch off at 25 yards. That could have just been a few bad batches of pellets, or something specific to my rifle so don't read too much into it. I know other people do use them successfully.

It was calm this afternoon so did a bit of practice at 45y. Parallax set to 27y and shooting prone from a peg, butt in shoulder. 10 shots, with 2 wayward ones that I'm 99% sure were user error.

I'm fairly confident that rested, with parallax set to 45y these pellets would be clover leaf grouping easily.
    In the wind they seem consistent, I can generally tell which way they are going to get pushed and not had many surprises yet.
    At FT ranges? No idea, never tried.

IMG-20191129-WA0002.jpeg

madplinker and andyfin like this.
  9. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Thank you all for your responses I have some time tomorrow in the morning so will get some range time in and see how I get on with things.

10. Simonix

Simonix Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT
    I have a Steyr, that with the barrel clamped in all the places people don’t like, will put amazing groups of H&N barracuda FT 9.57gr at 55 yards.

won’t group with any JSB.

just goes to show, rifles can be so different

Gary Martin and Fly fisher like this.
  11. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Barracuda FT's, and most other H&N pellets are slightly larger than the usual run of 8.44 grain pellets, I don't have a pellet gauge so I can't tell you by how much, but I have a couple of rifles that shoot like shi.... erm, shoot badly with any of my 'good' JSB or AA pellets, but which produce very acceptable groups with some H&N's.

My Tx200 also shoots very well with some batches of H&N Sniper Mediums and at around 765 fps.