exact or express

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by mr dink, Mar 18, 2013.

1. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    I hear some hft shooters say 7.9 are too light and take more wind than 8.4s ,but i also read top ft shooters say 7.9s are best for them but there shooting at 55yds, so what do you use for your sport.

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Exact for Ft, better in wind past 45

RS (840fps) for HFT out to 45 yards unless very windy day when then switch to express, flatter curve

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Unless someone does some testing in a scientific manner, the difference is in someone's head. Use what ever groups the best and go from there. What's the point in accepting a slacker grouping pellet for some perceived minute gain in windage?

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    My Ft results picking up since switching from express - Exact must be luck then?:rolleyes:
    not in my head, its all down on paper in the form of "Dons" (groups:D ) and X's ;)

5. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    For me JSB exact 8.4 and AA 8.4 - No sizing, weighting or lube added.

Just find a nice batch to suit your rifle and buy as many tins as you can. ;)

6. tim g

tim g Member

Club:
    North Oxon
    Agree with Rob, -on saturday in a strong wind i found that out of my ol' 2002 Exacts and Express took the same wind and grouped equally well. You'll probably find a bigger difference in performance batch to batch than pellet to pellet so as Woody says, find a good batch of whichever and buy loads and loads :D

7. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    chairgun

if you use chairgun, you can get the wind suseptabilty factor. it will give you the theretical wind movement at the wind mph that you input. it says 7.9s are slightly better. as i have not used them i wont comment. remember all quoted balistic coeficients are averages, can and will be different with different rifles and barrels.

8. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    No weighting? Have you actually weighed to see what variance there is? I am currently using a batch of exacts that vary between 8.1 - 8.7 but weighed they are excellent.

Cheers.

9. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    Yes I have weighed pellets a lot over the years for my sins, I think we all have to go through it along with sizing and adding lube. You need to discover your own way in the end.

Shoot your 8.1 and 8.7 on paper and see for yourself.

The more aspects you keep adding to your shooting preparation and routine, then the more little doubts you bring into your game - my opinion only though.

Cheers.

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Stats time:

Costello pretty much cleaned up in BFTA events last year, (3 events) GP series, Masters and Championships and also 4th in Worlds using Express.
    Gilly won the Worlds using Express.

Every man to his own, I use Exacts as I've only ever used the 8.4grn pellet and have a fair idea how it reacts to certain winds but haven't tried the 7.9grn Express to compare and I don't want to change in order to try to learn what could be a totally different beast! They may take less wind but then I'd be giving too much, they may take more so I wouldn't be giving enough etc.

As the others have said, choose whatever groups best in your gun...then learn it!

What I'd like to know is what is the best length of string to catch a pilchard?

11. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Alan, a couple of years go when using the MK4, it went through a phase where grouping went off with exacts (weighed & checked) I was given some express to try and they were awesome, so switched there & then.

Without setting changes they were coming out 20fps faster, but after a couple of clicks worth of rezeroing, they were matching the reticle on exact same aimpoints as exact. Same trajectory as makes no difference, I didn't have to make any drastic decision changes for wind over what I would have been for the exacts.

When a pellet suits a certain barrel so well, you can't ignore it, you don't have to use the same as the next guy just because what they are using is popular - just do your own homework.

Express are rubbish in my ca100, but great in Samie's pro target - same gun, completely different results, my maverick will shoot express and exacts equally well, but I prefer current exacts as the weight spread on express had taken a turn for the worse.

12. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I have used both types of pellet and have been successful with both. I always come back to the exacts though. I have noticed the characteristics are different in various types of wind. On mad days when it is a gale I found the express to be far more erratic. As Dave has said the difference in trajectory is negligible, in my eyes why shoot the lighter projectile with the same trajectory?!

I have shot the 8.1-8.7 on paper frequently and the difference in impact point is astonishing, well enough to miss a 20mm kill zone at 30yds never mind a 25mm at 40!

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    Thank,s for the replies guys ,the reason i brought it up was i,v had time to go to the indoor range at atherton and found the exact,s i thought were good in my HW 100 were not grouping well so changed to the express which i thought were only good in my 400 and pt,all weighed by the way and there was a marked improvement .

14. rich

rich Active Member

I have found that how a pellet fits in the breech is a factor. All of my rifles seem to prefer pellets that are NOT a snug fit, and almost rattle in. That is certainly the case with the EV2 and the S400, and they give better groups with Expresses.

Recently I've started to get back into spring guns and I'm having some get-to-know-you time with a HW97KT that has had the innards enhanced by its previous owner. Apart from the fact that it had to have half a coil collapsed to teach it some manners, it handles very well. I shot a 30 shot course with it on Sunday using 8.4s, then came back to the zero and plinking range and put a few 7.9s through it. The difference in the firing cycle was immediately apparent, and it will be fed the lighter pellet from now on.

15. mpr

mpr Member

Club:
    quarry hunters
    i

i roll my own ,they work great for me,55 yds head on, [shoot what you like :confused::):):):):):):)

16. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    I think were about the same age Rich , I admire you for taking on a boinger ,I would need someone to cock it for me after 5 shots.:D

17. Zatara

Zatara New Member

match the pellet to the gun

I tried heavies, exacts,(in 4.51, 4.52. & 4.53) and the express on a windy day at the range and found that my Ripley preferred the express pellets. My buddy's NJR liked the heavies. It just goes to show you that each gun will have its preferences.

18. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    In every single rifle I've shot in the last three years, Expresses group significantly tighter than anything else, and they are also the most consistent over the chrono by quite some margin.

However, just to throw another spanner in the works... when I was testing various batches of Exacts, I found that some of the head sizes and batches that gave me really inconsistent chrono results produced some of the tightest groups, and some of the most consistent gave me the slackest groups. So I've learned that chrono results and group sizes don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Cam.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  19. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    Hi is the ripper at 12ftbs or higher and do you find them stable at US allowed velocitys.

20. Zatara

Zatara New Member

Sub 12 ft lbs

Actually, both guns are set up for under 12 ft lbs. My Ripley is at 11.84 with the express pellets.:)
    I hope to be able attend the worlds some day.
    The pellets are generally stable up to about 950 fps, and I have yet to hear of anyone getting decent groups beyond that. I have a Pro Target that is set up for 19 ft lbs with JSB heavies. Just for fun, I think I'll test the express tomorrow just to see what they do in the Pro Target.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013