Evo's in competition?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Baltipal, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I shot my Clubmate's new 2nd hand Theoben Evolution today. I thought it was a nice, smooth & easy to shoot bit of kit but it made me think why I don't see more of these in competition so, how come?:confused:

2. Jon

Jon Member

Power fluctuation, cost and harsher recoil to name three.

3. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Very light recoil compared with my Springer though Jon.

4. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    get nicks magic fingers on on yours matey i had a go with bills matey it shots spot on and next to nothing recoil,you can even follow the pellets to the target :):)gas rams r a bit jumpy the ones ive had anyway(fenman)

5. Bill Peat

Bill Peat TALLENTLESS PUMPERTEER

Club:
    PURLEY CHASE
    Evo

SHOOT MY TX GREG,THEN YOU CAN DO SOME UMMING AND RRRING:D;):cool:
    MERRY XMAS

6. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Umming & erring......among other things!:D

7. Jon

Jon Member

Its a quicker recoil not a bad thing and thats what helps break the scopes, hence dampa mounts to absorb recoil!
    Dare i mention leakage there are people in full time work servicing and repairing very very similar items.

8. Graeme.C

Graeme.C New Member

The Evolution is a superb rifle, that would more than hold its own on a HFT course.
    There are problems with the gun, but they can be cured.
    The trigger needs work but can be made smooth and light with a predictable let off.
    The harsh recoil and fluctuating power levels would indicate that the ram pressure is to high, the general consensus is that Evo's should run at about 10.6 to 10.8 FT/lb.
    I have had both cheap and expensive scopes on my .177 Evo with 2 piece mounts and have no problems with breakage's or zero shift.
    Over all, a well made, light and pointable rifle that does all that is asked.:)

Some one once said that gas rams are marmite guns and I agree with that.:cool:

9. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Does anyone use one on the HFT circuit?

10. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Not a regular thing but I have used a gasram at a UKAHFT meet. It was only done in an attempt to shut up some of the gasram naysayers. I won't claim to be the best shot in the world but I recall comfortably breaking the 50 point mark and ending up only a point or two behind the piston class winner on the day. The Sirocco Grand Prix has also had outings to Kibworth and NEFTA Hunter shoots in the past.

11. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

Because they are a bag of crap - simple :)

Lee

12. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Lee, would you qualify as one of Sam's 'Gasram Naysayers' ?:D

But how are they crap, what's wrong with them?:confused:

13. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

I doubt that Lee does qualify. Those that I'm getting at are the ones that only dabble with piston rifles. They get a TX or 97 and rarely shoot it. They've got it because they think they should have a springer. I'm sure Lee has tried plenty of rammers and decided they aren't for him, fair enough. The ones I'm getting at are those that never have tried one but slate them. Those that have tried a short barrelled one in .177 (Fenman probably) and decided that they are all rubbish. The only thing I can say in their defence is that I quite agree that the .177 Fenman is fairly nasty!;):D
    The bad points of gasrams revolve round the snappy action and the poor triggers. The triggers can be made to be just about acceptable but the action will always be a matter of taste. I'd probably not recommend a gasram to anyone as I know that there's a good chance that they won't suit but they have to be worth a try without buying if you get the chance. Avoid short barrelled .177s like the plague and be prepared for a ropey trigger.

All I can say is that I tried loads of different springers in various states of tune and I never bettered the accuracy of the Grand Prix. Most were far nicer to shoot but I'm not interested in nice other than nice and accurate.;)

14. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

I have had a sirocco 2000, fenman, SLR 88 and 98 and an evolution - the triggers are basically a piece of bent wire, the recoil IS different, but different isn't always good, and they are a pain in the arse when the power starts to go a bit 'weird' - you can't open them up and change the length of the spring, it the bike pump and lot and lots of pissing about.

Nice idea, just never did me any favours,

Lee

15. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Lee you don't need any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But they are p**s poor triggers!