EV2 which Mark is best?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by zahed2010, Apr 1, 2013.

1. zahed2010

zahed2010 Member

Club:
    Casleton FT Club
    Been considering getting an EV2 for a couple of weeks now, but heard of seal problems and reg problems. I'm considering a Mk2, Mk3 or Mk4. Can anyone tell me which is the most reliable? Which to avoid?

2. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    they are all good when they are serviced properly:D, i hear the same horror stories now and again and they always turn out to be the same few going around, and around, and around,...............................:rolleyes:

3. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    Have you seen the one for sale on here £680 and in Bromsgrove. I think they are about the most popular gun used in Comps.

4. sneaky rodent

sneaky rodent top bombing

Club:
    pontifract
    Hi
    I have a mk2 an a mk4 an my dad has a mk3 I personaly can not say that one is better than the other each one feels a little different to shoot but once you 've got one that has been serviced by some one how knows wot ther doing ie. barry taylor or john ostler then it'll transform the gun an have no riliabity problems

5. ascoughc

ascoughc Member

just don't get the mk1

6. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Given the likely price difference, why not?

7. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Why not :confused:
    I've had 3 X MK1s which didn't need anything doing. It's the rest of the MKs that have the reliability problems;)

8. zahed2010

zahed2010 Member

Club:
    Casleton FT Club
    What are main differences mark to mark?

9. ascoughc

ascoughc Member

I thought the mk1 had s200 barrels, I know someone who had a mk1 and they say accuracy was crap after a couple of hundred shots until the barrel was cleaned out, ive got a mk2 and accuracy is about 10mm grouping at 55 and I think ive only cleaned the barrel twice in 5 years

10. rich

rich Active Member

A significant change was the transfer porting and breech arrangement. The mark 1s have a brass bush loctited to the end of the barrel; the breech seal groove is machined into this bush, and the transfer port also drilled into it.

It was done this way as AA didn't want to have to run the risk of machining directly the steel barrel, reckoning that any scrappers would mean a lost barrel, whereas a scrap brass bush was only pennies compared.

The bush system did require perfect concentricity which wasn't always the case, and some barrels could end up with the hole in the bush not perfectly aligned with the bore of the barrel.

For the mark 2s and later, they negotiated with the barrel suppliers that the suppliers would do all the drilling and AA would receive ready-to-fit barrels. This put the risk with the supplier, and meant the brass bush was redundant.

11. ZakFT

ZakFT Member

Club:
    Castleton FTC / Tondu / Nelson
    Excellent information. If there can be a sum up on this ,it will also point me to the right direction. So mk1 mk2 mk3 or mk 4 and pending ev3?? Thanks. :eek:o

12. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    EV2's

Mk1's
    15mm blued barrel manufactured in the Czech Rep (same as S200)
    Barrel fits into a brass O-ring carrier and only 1 grub screw locates the barrel. 2 others bear on the brass carrier
    If the brass carrier is not a very good fit and not lock tighted to the barrel then the barrel can move around if shot fully floating with accuracy issues

Mk2,3 & 4 all have same action with a nickel plated 14mm Lothar Walther barrel.The action block is also different to that used in the Mk1's

The barrel location in the action block in Mk2-4's is better engineered than the Mk1's and these later Mk's shoot very well with the barrel fully floated. The fully floated barrel does help overcome POI changes through the charge

Most of the LW barrels are good.
    Only some of the Czech Rep barrels are good

Stock changes were carried out to the Mk2-4's Not major
    John

13. rich

rich Active Member

I've added two M5 grub screws radially to my mark 1 at 120 degrees so the barrel is clamped in three planes, like a 3-jaw chuck, and I still got accuracy issues with it floated.

14. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    I own a mk1 and a mk4 , Both guns have floating barrels and shoot superbly, But if I had to choose one it would be the mk4.

15. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    Hi Rich

Last week I did the same thing to a fellow benchrest shooters Mk1. I was convinced it would cure his accuracy problems
    Unfortunately even though the barrel was then firmly clamped in the breech block the rifles accuracy was very poor
    I then changed the barrel and fitted a 14mm LW barrel
    Accuracy was improved but was still not good enough for benchrest shooting

I could only then put the rifles poor accuracy down to the reg. needing a service.
    john

16. rich

rich Active Member

It's amazing how demanding bench rest can be, and how intolerant of imperfections that we can get away with in FT or HFT.

I tried my EV2 for bench rest and frankly my S400 with the export cylinder on it gives me better scores.

17. ZakFT

ZakFT Member

Club:
    Castleton FTC / Tondu / Nelson
    Taking into consideration all the above helpful information I have decided that's its mk4 for me personally.

18. zahed2010

zahed2010 Member

Club:
    Casleton FT Club
    Ev2

Would most agree that a change of reg and floated barrel makes a difference to the factory supplied rifle?

19. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    No, having John Ostler set it up makes a far bigger difference. EV2 (mk 3) work perfectly well with a well set up AA reg and unfloated.

20. sneaky rodent

sneaky rodent top bombing

Club:
    pontifract
    I would go for a mark 2-4 with a floted barrel an a one thats had the reg serviced an set up properly. Mk 2-3 stocks are slightly better for me (not a big fan of the single post for the hamster on the mk 4)