EV2 to long

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Fox, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Fox

Fox Member

Is it just me or is any one else finding the EV2 Mk4 a bit long, ok siting but on kneelers & especialy standers I find it a bit long & harder to control.

With this in mind I have begun to think about shortening the barrel / cylinder but thought I would ask if any one has had it done & what the results were.

Thanks
    Clive

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Buy a steyr.....:)

3. LittleJack

LittleJack Active Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    ev2

i wouldnt have the gun shortened. theres always an easier option, try a different (custom) stock 1st.
    Little Jack

4. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    What do you mean by too long is it that it is too muzzle heavy for you it could be down to the fact that either the scope is to far forward or the butt padd is in the wrong place, what you need to do is find one of your club mates to have a look at your rifle whilst it is mounted in your shoulder to see if their is an obvious problem, most of the time a lot of lads with EV2s have their butt pads to low so you are actually fighting the gun rather than it fitting you i always set my gun up for standing anyway kneeling is not dis-similar and with in reason you can get away with sitting shots. i actually had a carbine EV2 which Mitch tombs has now got because he a junior and to be quite honest the gun is a bit light at the front end.

5. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    gun is not weighted properly,try adding weight up front it slows the movement down,or some people ad weight to the rear,try it first b4 carbineing it,young mitch ev2 has been done its only because he is not as big as us,i hav the same issue with the steyr being a bit short till i added weight with a 10 metre tube up front,young mitchs gun is in test photos i did the other week,also it could be your technique being wrong,as steve said above

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    go with the weight/balance comments... that's usually why a rifle feels 'long' because it's pulling you out and forward of the ideal. Try getting the butt lower (iin ideal it should be moved from one positional to another, but tricky because you often feel like the scope should move, and normally something like the fore-end as well)... also have a play with butt pull as well.

You can strap some simple fishing or wheel weight perhaps low and back to see if that counter balances. Ideally balance point should be above the support point, which changes for each positional position... you may have to comprimise though. A rifle with the balance point in the same place, but the weight at the far extremities will feel slower and more stable than one of the same weight and balance point but with the weight piled around the centre.

7. Fox

Fox Member

Thanks for all those comments, I keep the adjustable Butt as short as possible & the scope which is a Big Nikko as far back as is comfortable.
    I have also recently added a proper Butt Hook which has improved things tho I am still geting used to it, as for the weight I like mine towards the back so will have to experiment a little.
    Perhaps i'll leave the surgery alone.

Thanks again
    Clive

8. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

As everyone else suggests the weight distribution is more likey the cause of your discomfort.

Personally I have balance weights at the muzzle to give me a muzzle biased balance. Try it you might be surprised. The metalwork in the butt of the EV2 weighs far more than you might think in relation to the action which is why they feel a light rifle. The big Nikko will upset the balance too making the rifle top heavy try to get the centre of gravity as low as possible.

Whatever you do give each modification chance and try to be honest with yourself about how it feels.

Tha'ts the beauty of this game this possibilities for messing around are limitless:D

9. rick

rick New Member

Interesting comments.

I am suffering the opposite effect, I have a LG100 and find it too short the balance is close to the trigger and the rifle feels like it is butt heavy so I have added a lot of weight by the muzzle to move the balance forward.

My EV2 is in a pro target stockwith a big Nikko on top and I find it nicely balance with a enough front weight to suit me.

All part of the fun of shooting, trying to sort it out.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  10. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Clive try to get over to 1 or 2 of the midland winter leagues this sundays being Farcole which is just down the road from stafford so not so far for you to travel bring your gun along and compair to how the other guys have got their guns set up.

11. Fox

Fox Member

I have had a chance to play with weight/ balance today used some old cooking weight taped at various places I feel more comfortable and stable with the weight at the back tho I wont write off a muzzle weighted yet.

Thanks again for your comments & offers much apreciated.

Clive