EV2 regulator question

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by wiseguy, Sep 20, 2012.

1. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Just need some advice on an EV2 reulator.
    Before any concerns, I have an EV2 without the anti tampering (export model) and live in NL where we have no strict law against airgun power.
    That being said, my question is regarding the EV2 regulator and more specific how to change the setting.
    My EV2 is in no way able to get over 11.3fpe, not by changing the transferport adjustment screw (the one under the outside screw) nor by adjusting the hammer spring tension.
    As I would like to get a little closer to 12fpe, which is legal for FT and in no way against the law here I would like to raise the regulator pressure a little. If I have the gun set aside for a few days, the first shot is the speed I would like to achieve, a proper 11.8 fpe, so it's possible to get that speed (reg leak?). All next shots are slower, but constant. I shoot JSB Express 7.9gn.
    I have good experience with Steyr, but am not experienced in the EV2, at Steyr I just need to turn the regulator adjustment screw a little ant-clockwise to raise the pressure a bit.
    Is this the same in an EV2, turning anti-clockwise to raise pressure? Answer may also be via pm if needed.

If this post is inappropriate or against forum rules, please except my apologies and delete it.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    Word of advice you might find the gun not as nice to shoot at 11.8 mine runs aprox 11.3 is nice to shoot and groups amazingly... think you will find a lot of top shots using ev's are all running at 11.3 and below

3. Tone

Tone Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    Dave is absolutely right right and if you equate that extra .4ft/lb to say 11.7 ft/lb that is only 14 ft/s more.

Think of it this way, if power = accuracy then the match rifle and pistol shooters wouldn't be be happy running at 6ft/lb.

Cheers

Tony

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Have to agree with Dave, can't understand why non UK shooters have their guns running on the limit?? Gun is harsher to shoot and in most instances group much better at 11 ft/lb. Minimal if any advantage gained for wind either and perhaps only a click or two at most gained in elevation.
    I run my Steyr 770 fps, last year in Italy my highest reading was 768 ft/sec in Norway it was 774 ft/sec. Every European I have ever shot with have been surprised its "so low"!
    You want to run your gun at 795 ft/sec and the limit is 800 ft/sec! That's only a 5 ft/sec tolerance and in most likely hood will run too much risk of failing the chrono at a competition.
    Italian guy in Norway at the Worlds just escaped disqualification on his third and final chance on the chrono by 1ft/sec!

Not worth the risk and try it at lower power you may be surprised, consistency I bet is better as are groups and gun will be nicer to shoot. Your hammer will be working under less tension also.

5. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Thanks for the honest advice, appreciate that.
    I want to believe the rifle is fine at 11.3, but if I can get it at 11.8 I am always able to get it back to 11.3 with the transfertport adjustment screw after testing. Now i'm on the limit of the current settings and have no reserve, can only make it have less power.
    The fact I shoot pellets of 7.9gn also makes the rifle perform a bit less compared to 8.4gn pellets.
    Thanks,
    Rob

6. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    i ran my Ev2 at 800 fps with 7.9g Express.
    no idea what ft/lbs that is but the guns shot them superbly.

As above, no need for running on the limit.

7. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    Hi Rob,

I fully agree with the above posters: If it aint broke, don't fix it.

But I've got the urge to take stuff apart myself every now and then so I understand your urge.
    If I'm right the EV-2 reg is of the same construction as the Pro-Target is, at least for the first models EV-2.
    So you might want to search the www for pro-target reg info, I know there is some on that. I've found some pic's.
    And there is a guy in the DFTA, the big beardy one from Friesland that used to build the FT shooting courses at the Berkenhorst in the past, I forgot his name, that has much experience in Pro-target's. He has reg checkers, o-rings, maybe he can inform you about the reg adjustment for the Pro-Target at least.

Good luck tinkering the EV-2, I guess you're tinkered out with the Steyr's at the moment :)

8. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Hi Sven,
    you are absolutely right, it isn't broken at all and I have no intention to run on the (FT) limit.
    But in my attempt to understand every rifle I own, as with Steyr, I just want to know what direction I need to adjust the regulator screw (clock-wise or anti-clockwise) to change the pressure.
    I can find out myself of course, but as the regulator is bulit inside the air cilinder and it is a lot of work to be able to adjust it , I thought I might ask it here upfront on STB.
    On the Steyr you're right, it has been degraded to a HFT rifle at the moment :rolleyes: , the results with the EV2 are very promising (last National a win with 46/50) :)

CU in Schalkhaar!
    cheers,
    Rob

9. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
  10. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Abut 11.2ftlbs Simon :D

I am like Conor and run my Ripley at 770fps. So far this year at the GP's attended it has reported 7788 as the highest and 762 the lowest. Even in the hottest day this year I checked and only reached 779fps when left in the sun for 30 minutes.

Running at 770 its sweet to shot and I get a few more shots from it.

11. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Thanks to you all (and Google).
    I found the answer I was looking for at http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/thread/1231387961/1231476687/Regarding+EV2+MK2+power+output+adjustment+-+Part+2
    To adjust from 1400psi to 1800psi you will need to move around 120 degrees counterclockwise. Approximately 30 degrees for every 100psi.
    There is a nice thread discussing this and conclusion is indeed the EV2 performs best sub 12 fpe.
    Also is noted in several threas that removing the air cilinder on a EV2 might be a real challenge (thight fit), so I will keep it this way for the moment.
    cheers,
    Rob

12. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    Maybe this pic is interesting as well. It is a Pro-Target regulator.
    Looking at this pic I would also say counter-clockwise gives higher output pressure. Because the disc springs must compressed more to close the bigger gap between valve and valve seat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012