EV2 question ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by holly, Feb 13, 2011.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Hi up all . we have three members who for whatever reason have bought an EV2 .two of then have had to take the muzzle brake off . cos of what they think is crossover caussed by this device . is that the reason or is it sometrhing else ??? HOLLY

2. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Er.....only reason they might take muzzle break off is it attaches barrel to cylinder which is well known to cause zero drift.....due to expansion contraction...if they free float an put the muzzle back on..prob make all the difference:confused:

3. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Will tell em . cheers HOLLY PS are the air arms team guns thus treated .

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Treated, yes they get a spar day every 3 months!

Presume you mean are they floated?

Jsames gun is. Seems that some Ev2 can get away with not being floated, some have to be floated.
    I have one of each!

5. dcj1

dcj1 New Member

Holly - the wind indicator is also fitted to the muzzle break, and i have found in the past if you lay the rifle down with said indicator out, this can knock off zero.

6. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Dave i have got 2 MK4s with neither floated, all the MK4s i have seen have had a good allignment IE no barrel spring when you take the muzzle brake off a lot of the earlier models did have some problems but again not all.

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Thanks all

Cheers . i will pass on what has been said ??? HOLLY

8. rich

rich Active Member

If you want to go down the free-floating road then please look at the signposts that Rockdrill placed for the unwary.

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Not for me rich . i sold my RN10 and would not have another air arms ??? HOLLY

10. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    My Mark 1 which I've had for 7 years now (one of the very first released) has never been floated.

My new MK4 is also not floated and I have never experienced any zero shift with either rifle. :)

11. IOM

IOM Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Spoke to Trev Ryan and he tried floating, and reversed the job when it started spraying, not had any zero shift with mine but not had it very long . ATB Hughie

12. TREV RYN

TREV RYN https://www.neftaonline.org/

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    yes like hughie said free floated my ev2 mk1 hated it sprayed em all over , put back to normal no trouble at all .;);)

13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Floating .

Funny enough . my NJR which i just floated the barrel on . will have none of it . they go every where . but when i tried to put the shroud back on , i found that the filler valve had been put back upside down . so the little hole is on the other side . ooohhhhwerr missus ??? HOLLY

14. Dale

Dale Active Member

Probably because the barrel fixing is not up to supporting a floating barrel. Hence why I did the modifications that Rich alluded to. unlike the Pro-Target which retains the barrel by two M5 grub screws bearing directly on the wall of the barrel and two M5 screws into the shroud, the EV2 screws do the following forward screw retains the conical shroud, middle screw on the barrel itself, rear screw bears on the brass breach seal carrier. So the barrel itself is only retained by one M4 grub screw that bears on the barrel directly.

In my modification of adding the two extra M5 barrel support screws in a radial pattern and changing the forward screw for an M5 screw bearing directly on the steel of the barrel, means the action is now capable of properly supporting a floated barrel, where the original pathetic three M4 grubscrews in a single plane weren't. Post modification I am very happy with the way my EV2 performs and there is no way I would change it back to factory specification.

The 100 series doesn't seem to like being fully floated. However the substantial one piece body tube of the 100's does also seem to be far more stable than the lightweight cylinder of the EV2.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    NJR , Floated ?

Yes dale , i am finding that out .when NJRs were young . i used to shoot with a gent who had one . anyway he took the suport off his . we were shooting a lane , when i mentioned to him that taking it off was a bit dodgy . no he said , watch . with that he took the close one , then sprung the barrel ( boing ) and shot the long one . both went down . so i dunno . but i know i will be putting the support back on . the problem with mine was the little screw coming loose that holds it . bit of locktite i think ??? HOLLY

16. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Careful holly :D

17. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Why not superglue, I head you were a dab hand with it:D

18. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

have floated the barrel on my sons MPR, when I serviced the rifle I was a bit taken back at how loose the fit of the barrel is in the breech block, a quick mod with a groove in the barrel and an o-ring has snugged things up a bit!

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Glue ?

No I am cured of superglue . threw all of it away . 23 gallons at last count . nope it is locktight for me . either that or the club hammer .??? HOLLY:):D
    PS i do march scopes at no extra cost . honest holly . you know you can trust me .:eek: