EV2 not cocking

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by the judge, Feb 3, 2011.

1. the judge

the judge New Member

OK looks like Ive made a MASSIVE c**k up buying a new mk4 EV2 - 7 - YES JUST 7 pellets and it failed to cock - airarms answer on the phone "it was tested before being sent to the shop ...... its the shop you have the contract with ..... they will have to sort it"
    Hows that for customer care? - after spending over £1000 (only had it 3 days!!!!)
    Anyone have any ideas on whats wrong with it? and can someone give me a good reason to keep this pile of s**t?

2. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    They do it from time to time....try pulluing trigger whilst cocking...other than that i can be down to poor trigger sear adjustment....or the weight of pull spring has popped off inside..it will be somet simple inside the trigger area prob. If you go investigating.. carefully remove the screws on the cover and watch for the brass bit falling out.....look in the manual gives you a nice pic of the trigger internals what ever you do dont try and cock it with the cover off....springs and stuff start departing..

3. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    is the popular wood one and did i sell you riser and mounts?

I had it with one of mine, its the trigger that needs adjusting.

I know a man that can. Doz:D

Can take it + you to him saturday, if he is not working? Could come down Tondu and see if we can sort it out there?

4. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Mine does this occasionally.

When it won't cock pull the trigger and try again.

Shaun

5. rich

rich Active Member

There is a screw that limits the over-travel after the sears have released.

Adjust this so that there is plenty of over-travel.

If it still doesn't cock, see what happens if you point the muzzle skyward when you try to cock it. If it works when the gun is vertical then it sounds like a spring has got detached.

6. the judge

the judge New Member

Thanks Simon,
    Can you pm me your mobile number, and I'll give you a ring
    Andy

7. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    of course you are unhappy but they are right your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer :)

8. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    The EV2 has the same trigger assy as the Pro-Target and this is a known issue. All I do if it does this (and it does occasionally) is waggle the trigger gently to release the sears, then try again, Roberts your mothers brother! Top tip though, DON'T have the trigger all apart on the back of someone truck in a muddy lane, you WILL loose something guaranteed (I know this as I learnt this the hard way, as I'm sure any number of the MFTA lads will tell you! :eek: :D )

9. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Never got the mud out from scrabbling around under aid truck lookingfor that little brass spacer, still you did ok without it !!!

10. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    sear in gauge ment is to light its the allen screw under neath when u remove the hamster,screw back in 1/4 of a turn

11. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Yes Phil the brass spacer YOU was ment to catch!!! :D

And yes apart from cocking issues was a good day that day. :)

12. the judge

the judge New Member

The gunsmith has adjusted it from very light to full tension - so its not that. It works when the sideplate is off, but as soon as the plate goes back - 1 or 2 shots and its knackered! The sear seems to be binding when the plate is on, as once freed, and with the cover off, if will fire all day!
    Andy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My complaint about the situation is the total dissmisal of the situation from the manufacturer, and as was stated earlier in the thread - my contract is with the gunshop - I know! but spending over a grand on an air rifle, youd think airarms would be a lot more interested in "such a common fault" - They will end up with the reputation Theoben used to have when "frosty" used to answer their phones!!!!
    Any way, by way of protest, both my S410's have been sold, and where I used to sing airarms praise, I now tell people interested to go for something different. (airarms will end up loseing more than they gain)

Anyway gripe over, thanks all for some good advice, however - still not working so where from here?

13. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    the washer needs a bit off it kidda if its binding,bad for a brand new gun really,at least u found it matey,could even put some very thin washers to lift the plate out 20 fow matey,hope u will get it done matey,

14. the judge

the judge New Member

NO not the washer - its got a visable clearence when you use a straight edge! - spent ALL DAY yesterday with the gun smith and the gun - I cant try myself, as airarms say the warranty will be void! - only the supply shop can do it, or they do!
    Thanks though
    Andy

15. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    wot a bugger,hope u can get it sorted,sounds its back to air arms to me

16. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    As a test.Turn the hammer to a new spot where the sear sits .Then see how it cocks.
    Don;)

17. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Sounds to me that the side plate on the trigger mechanism is pressing on the sears, try putting a strip of pop can between the side plate and the housing on both sides to lift it slightly.

18. the judge

the judge New Member

Please remember - this gun is now only a week old!! and failed on its 1st outing at an indoor club for zero check only! and managed 7 shots before failing - (when it was 3 days old!!!) - surely this should be a direct replacement job???? and not me having to try to sort it??? But then, shouldnt it have been working efficiently when dispatched by airarms???

19. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree