EV2 MkIV Regulator Swap out

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Hawkeye007, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Hawkeye007

Hawkeye007 New Member

I imported an Air Arms EV2 to South Africa in January and it has had reg creep from the day i got it, not bad but the first shot after a couple of minutes break was always 1 or 2 cm lower - all other groupings are perfect.

Air Arms in the UK sent me a replacement regulator and I am in the process of swapping it out. I have got to the final dissasembly which is to unscrew the cylinder from the regulator - I've hit a bit of a snag. BTW stripping the rifle down to this stage has been dead simple.

Air Arms have been very helpful with everything including instructions but they merely say at this point "You would need a clamp with the correct size jaws protected to hold the cylinder, so that the regulator can be removed, without causing any damage Everything is screwed together extremely tightly". I have tried my best to unscrew the bloody thing and it aint working - Years of DIY tells me at this point any more force would either damage me or the gun...

Am I missing something? Any hints out there would be most appreciated.

I have been taking notes and pics along the way, so hopefully a pictorial on the swap out for others will come out of this.

Attached Files:

2. rich

rich Active Member

I'm sorry to say they do them up so tightly that they can't even undo them themselves without causing damage. You should see how mine came back from a service.:mad:

You will need two lengths of wood about 400mm long and about 50mm square or thereabouts. Then you will need a router to cut a hemispherical groove along the two lengths, like inletting a stock. Then you line the grooves with something like old slices of rubber glove, place them around the cylinder and clamp the lot in a workmate.

That should grip the cylinder, now all you have to do (!) is to undo the reg. I bet you a hundred Rand the C spanner slips or damages the reg outer casing.

I designed up a sleeve like an old hex nut from a truck wheel, bored it out to a close fit to the reg housing, drilled three holes at 120 degrees and put silver steel pins in it to engage with the holes in the reg body. If you work out how much torque you can apply to this without shearing the silver steel pins, that ought to get it undone. You won't get all three taking load at the same time, two will have to give slightly before the third one does any work.

In point of fact I didn't get to use this tool, as I found someone here who could do the whole job for me.

If and when you get it undone, there should be no need to do it up so tight again, it's an O ring that causes the seal.

If you get left and right drift of POI with change of reservoir pressure like I did then float the barrel.

3. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    In addition to what Rich has said I heard from a very reliable source that for a little while they changed over to a hard plastic type O ring which makes disassembly even harder! Think they have abandoned that now so fingers crossed you don't have that on your Mk4.

Chap that serviced Rich's and mine braces them up and the gives a firm tap on the lower part of the action (with some protection) rather than trying to turn it in the clamp.

Best of luck with it.

4. Hawkeye007

Hawkeye007 New Member

Thanks

Thanks Rich, Charlie

Thats very helpful advice.

Looks like im off to the hardware in the morning for a gedore pin spanner. Why does it always seem so easy when you know how...

I've also had some great advice on the forum in South Africa - http://www.airrifle.co.za/showthread.php?p=189210#post189210

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
    Lawrence

Attached Files:

5. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Even I managed to get the reg off my own EV2, I made a similar jig to the one described above.
    It took all my strength (not much granted) and nerve but I did it without damage to the rifle.

All the best with it.

James

6. Jon

Jon Member

The last two years they have been excessively over tightened even RN10 in for servicing.
    Got one apart that AA couldnt and that did shear silver steel pins round the reg, one of your ex team mates Oz.
    No need for it.

7. Sniperdad

Sniperdad New Member

You will need two lengths of wood about 400mm long and about 50mm square or thereabouts. Then you will need a router to cut a hemispherical groove along the two lengths, like inletting a stock. Then you line the grooves with something like old slices of rubber glove, place them around the cylinder and clamp the lot in a workmate.

That should grip the cylinder, now all you have to do (!) is to undo the reg.

Told you to call me.:) This exactly how it is done, and its easy.

8. Jon

Jon Member

That will only undo whatever is the weakest link though and will have to separate one way or another the reg either from the tube or action.

They are not locktited either, just stupidly over tightened to stop the average diy messing.