EV2 Help needed

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by AndyIoW, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

One of our club members is having a few problems with his EV2 that I am hoping the esteemed members of this forum may be able to assist us fixing it.

His EV2 seems to be having having zeroing issues with respect to windage which is driving him mad. 2 Weeks ago we shooting at the club and the rifle was shooting slightly right. Set the windage correct on a 20yd target and everything was good. A few days later at our indoor range the pellets were going 1/2" left so again we set it back to zero and the following day at a competition he was shooting different wind to the rest of us

At the club the following Saturday we checked windage indoors at it was about 1" to the left again. At Christchurch things going weird again as the windage was 2 1/2" to the right. He is using a bag similar to one like this but about 45" long and 13" high.

It is just a bit worrying that its always the windage that is out, the elevation is fractionally different each time (<1/4"). Scope mounts are tight so beginning to wonder if its possibly the barrel or something like that.

Any help would be gratefully received as the poor lad is really getting down now.

Asking the same question on AirgunBBS in case someone knows there who is not on here.

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    scope?
    if not probably the clamp on the cylinder which is connected to the muzzle break - remove (lots do).
    Conor

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I'd check the scope... make sure it's actually holding zero... could be changing the mag is making the ret kick around...

I assume you know the turret is definitely not moving...

if it's the barrel, you should be able to test for that with gentle manipulation...

could also be fill shift as well...

4. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    what mk is it ?

First thing for me would be barrel cleaned.
    second would be to check what the muzzle fit is like.
    If you undo the wind indicator ring and slip the assembly of,see if it slips back on without moveing the barrel.
    If barrel has to be moved to get it to fit then he may need the barrel floated.
    May help to say what mk it is ,as they all have there own problems.
    Mine is a mk2.
    hope this helps
    simon

5. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Andy from your description i would think you are talking about a MK1 or MK2, try taking the muzzle brake ASSY off of the gun then try to slide it back on you will probably find that the barrel as sprung up or down a couple of MM if this is the case it would be a good starting point to free float the barrel thus eliminating any POI movement from the air cylinder.Ifyou need to PM me and i will try to explain a little bit better.Steve

6. rich

rich Active Member

1. Fill the gun. Take ten shots at an aim point and make these shots 20 seconds apart.

2. Fire ten blank shots.

3. Fire ten shots at a new aim point at 20 second intervals.

4. Repeat stages 2 and 3 twice.

5. You now have four cards to compare. Compare the strike points with the aim points. Has the centre of gravity shifted, from group to group?

Now fill the gun back up to the original pressure and repeat stage 1. Has the strike point gone back to the original place?

If the answer to these questions is yes then you may have the problem that some early EV2s had. It requires a trip to the factory and the regulator housing binned and exchanged for a new one. It's all to do with screw threads cut on the wonk so to speak, and the cylinder moving with changes in internal pressure. With the muzzle fixed to the front of the cylinder, it pulls it off line.

7. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Thanks for the replies so far will be going to see it and talk to the owner tomorrow night.

Rob, its the rifle I had a quick check on the plinking range when Cam had finished in the woods. Hit 1 in the wooded section but got 50% of those on the open range section.

Steve, I may take you up on that offer. I was thinking that it was more like a loose barrel but not sure if there are some screws at the breech end that may be loose.

8. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    Spent about 5 months when first started shooting trying to work this out on mine.....it would even move whilst going round a course an quite severly as much as 5 clicks left an 6 clicks right as mr p has said the barrel is proberbly under tension and is moving has parts of the gun expand and contract with different atmospheric conditions....Floated the barrel on mine and touch wood since then....no further isues..simple and easy to do.. Styers have simalar problem where the barrel passes throught the chassis on the fore end where most people i know have actually took a dremmel to the chassis to create more diameter in it so it dosnt touch.. Hope this helps

9. Dale

Dale Active Member

10. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    its weird never had to dremmel any of my steyrs or my mates all r spot on,just remove the allen and plastic shim,but ev2 sounds like wot u guys r saying moving barrel being moved in a cheap gun bag

11. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Dale,

Will print that and take it to the lads Grandfather tonight and we will see wht we can do to fix the issue. At least they have a weekend to try and sort it out before the next Winter Shoot.

Its a MK2 EV2, thought I had put it in the title.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  12. Dale

Dale Active Member

No you hadn't mentioned which Mk of EV, but not to worry. I would be inclined to say take the muzzle brake assembly off and try the rifle to see if it still misbehaves.

13. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Well, I went round tonight with a print out of the replies here and here is what we found.

Undid one of the 2 screws holding the muzzle brake clamp. As soon as it has released the whole muzzle moved about 1/4" to the right as you look from the breech end. After sliding the assembly off then spent nearly 10 minutes seperating the clamp from the brake.

The screw is still in the clamp part as it seems to be stuck in there. Do not know the thread size so the appropriate grub screw can be used?

They will be trying tomorrow getting it zeroed at 20yds for wind. they will also check it on Saturday and then Sunday. If the windage does not move again then all is well. He has also got a ABS case now not the soft version.

Will keep you updated. Thanks again

14. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    grub screw size

the grub screw is 6mm
    To get a nice fit you will need it turned down to 4mm long.
    If you put the muzzle in some hot water for a minute or so the screw will come out,they put lock tight on them as part of the assembly.

15. Dale

Dale Active Member

IIRC the screw that connects the brake to the clamp is itself locked by an M4 grubscrew located on the rhs of the clamp. Release this and the screw comes out as it isn't threaded into the clamp.

16. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Unfortunately Dale not this one. Compltely removed the grub screw but the screw left behind seems to have had a whole bottle of loctite used to hold it in place. Snapped the tip of one screwdrivere trying to get it out. :eek:

17. Dale

Dale Active Member

Ahh - that is odd. Perhaps try the application of some heat to break the loctite down.

The pic below shows the locking screw located just beneath the muzzle brake, on the rifle I modified this locked into a groove on the M6 screw that is threaded into the muzzle brake, the section of this screw that goes into the clamp is rather a peg retained by that cross screw, unless of course AA have changed the design subsequently.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  18. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

The owner is going to try and remove the screw today I think, once his new kitchen as arrived ;) , in his small workshop. We were trying to remove it on a small table and after nearly stabbing my finger trying to remove the screw.

They are going to leave off the muzzle brake for the moment so that we are only introducing one thing at a time to verify that the problem is not with it.

19. ascoughc

ascoughc Member

the whole thing slid off for me, youve just got to give it some persuation, they only just nip the screw onto the barrel, i just twisted it ever so slightly to start it to move.

20. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

The muzzle brake assembly is off and we have seperated the brake and the cylinder bracket. Its just the screw is still in place on the cylinder bracket.