EV2 advice

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by freshman210, Sep 11, 2013.

1. freshman210

freshman210 Member

Club:
    Waddington
    Hi,

I am a novice shooter really, although i have been shooting 3 years now. I am looking to make a leap an buy an EV2. Could you give me some advice on what i should look for when purchasing to avoid problems/issue/pitfalls? Is there anything specific i should look out for?

Your help is as always very much appreciated.

Iain

2. Bernie

Bernie Love to Bracket

Club:
    GuiseleyFTC
    I'd get an add on here in the wanted section, and buy secondhand of a reputable person thats looked after one that has been run in, and had the trigger set up, or if your buy brand new, then have it set up by someone at a club that knows all about them. I had this choice a few years ago, and bought secondhand and glad i did.
    The only other advice i can give you is go for the EV2 MK3 as the MK4 has a shorter hamster post and ball joint, which can have problems, then again theres alot out there that have had them adapted. good luck

3. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    I second Bernie, go for an EV2 that has 2 hamster posts.

I did not manage to get the hamster of my MK4 with the single post and ball joint in a fixed position. It kept moving. In my adventures to get this fixed (I tried a few advices from the www: new shorter bolts, rubber bands from bicycle tire, loctite on the ball joint, aluminum foil, roughen the ball with sandpaper, squaring off the ball joint with a file) I only managed to damage the socket for the ball.
    I have now made a short piece of Delrin tubing (2" dia, like a very big and thick washer) that sits around the post between the hamster and the bottom of the stock. This fixes the moving, but sets the hamster to a fixed height.

4. freshman210

freshman210 Member

Club:
    Waddington
    Thanks you guys.

5. monty19

monty19 New Member

make sure you do the chrono testing to make sure the regulators ok, ive just been caught out with this :(, thankfully i bought from a rfd so had the warrenty with it.

ps there excellent :) and granthams a good night out, got some old army mates that we used to come through to see and out for a few wet ones

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  6. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Be careful when you buy, typically there are 2 types of EV- Superb ones and complete dogs. Regulator is the big problem, checking it over a chrono will give some comfort and ideally you should see 5fps variation maximum on unweighed pellets for one with a really sorted reg. Other problem is trigger sears, but they tend to be easier to fix and will probably be sorted if you're buying a used one. The factory doesn't seem to be very succesful at fixing regulators so a receipt from one of the regulator guru's can be a good thing. Mine have been sub 5ps from new (they were from the first batch of laminate stock models rather than the silver painted ones), but I've been incredibly lucky as plenty of my chums had to send theirs back quite a few times before they were reliable. Some just gave up and got refunds.

Look at the stock, there's a weak point through the pistol grip, I've seen quite a few that have sheared, one that actually happened during a GP a few years ago in the lane next to mine. Look for any signs of cracking. They can't always be fixed with a long screw and glue if the laminate completely goes. I think there is probably a QA issue with the laminate manufacturer, some are strong as steel and others just come apart for no reason. Was a problem on Pro Targets as well and I know of at least one MK4 that snapped so all EV's are at risk. I personally know 4 people that this has happened to and know of a few more so it's probably something like 1 in 1000 will break??

The tie between the barrel and the cylinder is a critical fit. Messing about with the tension on the bolt makes it group attrociously. That's why you see quite a few that have been floated. You can get it working right again, but it's a pain in the neck so don't fiddle! If you look at an EV that is grouping really badly, this is the most likely (but not only) cause assuming the reg is OK.

Everything else seems to be pretty robust, the cocking lever can get a little free in summer and the cocking spring can push it back into the barrel unless you hold it back (making loading a bit tricky). Mine does this but I have a factory mod that was intended for South Africa market that has more friction. Not fitted it but might do some time. Not a problem but a bit annoying at times. I've got the 2 post hamster and it's problem free, I've not spent time on the single post but I would go double for sure.

BTW, somewhere between 770-780 fps with 8.44 grains is the sweet spot, don't be tempted to run it any faster than 780.

Rob

Edit: They generally like a REALLY clean barrel. Clean as often as you like and definately after every 200 or so pellets. It takes about 5 pellets for them to settle after a really good scrub. Best shot is #6 and mine starts to go off the boil at about 100-150. Never gets really bad but keep them clean!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. freshman210

freshman210 Member

Club:
    Waddington
    Thank you all, i really appreciate your advice.

8. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Wait for the right one

Buy a sorted one with a history of having been sorted by one of the EV2 wizards of if you buy one with out the history factor into the price a trip to one of the fine gunsmiths on here who will sort it for you. Nothing worst when you new into the sport and end up chasing you tail with a gun with a reg problem and thinking it could be you.

9. freshman210

freshman210 Member

Club:
    Waddington
    Thank you Villiers.

I live on the Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire border. Who would be the nearest Gunsmith on here you would recommend?

10. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    If the regulator needs sorting I would suggest that whilst a local gunsmith is convenient as you can drop it off in person and pick it up a few weeks later, I would always go with the 'right person' even if it meant a courier or a day out to deliver it. It's not something you want to have to do on a regular basis as it means the rifle is out of action for quite some time so getting it sorted first time is critical. I would be reluctant to buy a used EV which has a suspect regulator unless it's really cheap. Most shooters that use an EV for competition would probably have tried to get it sorted already, but failed, and don't want the hassle or cost of doing it properly. There is a risk that someone's mate that 'knows about guns' had a go and bodged it to the extent it's going to take some serious cash and time to resolve.

You should be able to find an EV that is sorted without too much trouble and I would recommend (if you haven't got a chrono already) that you buy a combro to do tests and take some weighed pellets to minimise any variations due to pellet. Always leave the rifle for 10-20 minutes before the first shot to establish if there is creep. If the first shot is fundamentally different FPS to the second and third fired in reasonably fast succession it would suggest there's creep. Leave it another 10 minutes and repeat. If the first shot is again fundamentally different to shots 2, 3 and 4 then the reg has a problem.

Assuming no creep, there will be some shot to shot variation but a spread of 5fps or less over 20 shots is good, 10fps is OK-ish and anything else is not good. In real terms 10fps has little real world impact on accuracy, but a sorted EV should be capable of far better.

There are loads of threads on this site that make qualified suggestions about the various regulator guru's but Barry Taylor, Jon Ostler and Dave Penman all have excellent reputations but there are others as well. I've not had a need to use any of the named chaps so can't comment from experience.

Hope that helps

Rob

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  11. freshman210

freshman210 Member

Club:
    Waddington

12. Scottish Guy

Scottish Guy Member

Club:
    Dunfermlie ARC
    You have a Pm

13. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    ev2 mk4

my ev mk4 as been sorted by Barry Taylor and it's shot to shot string as to be seen to be believed +/- 3 fps and barrel as been free floated but struggling with pellets jsb exact 4.52 are ok but every group I shoot as a couple of rogue shots using crosman premiers the group's are unreal at 55 yards but only got 4 boxes of these and there over 10 years old but they are awesome die 2 any thoughts on any modern pellets to try cheers