European Tour?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by JamesO, Oct 29, 2009.

1. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Not sure if anyone has given this any thought.
    A bit unrealistic, but something to think about.

What about a European league over the summer? 1 round in England, another in Germany, another in Spain etc.

I competition a month and points awarded as for our Grand Prixs.

There would be many hurdles to acheiving this kind of thing, not least money.

Over to you:D

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If france wasn't such a pain for airguns, then we could do a load on the way over to the worlds and back...

3. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Go through Belgium or Holland:D

4. RobF

Club:
    I'll have to look them up Chris.

The tunnel is great though... by the time you've got used to the idea it's daylight and you're out the other side and onto the motorway. Cuts out so much time. One year I left my place in Bournemouth at 4.30am, I had lunch in Paris and a wander around a place all afternoon and Dinner in Dijon... all by car.

5. raygun

raygun Non member

I can't even get to all the shoots in the U.K. let alone Europe.

Apart from that my Passport run out :D

ATB
    Ray.

6. RobF

Club:
    True Ray... still haven't done the Anglo yet...

7. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Dover/Felixstowe to Zeebrugge/Ostend is about 4/5 hrs if I remember rightly:D There is an overnight one that goes from Hull but I'm guessing that would'nt be much use to you:D

8. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    As a suggestion it could be a good idea to set up a European Field Target federation in which member countries set up an open event each year, This could then progress into a full European championship with say 10 rounds 6 to count in the future. I would be up for it...:)

Get e-mailing Rob

9. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Liking the sound of this idea!:)

10. RobF

Club:
    By strange coincidence, there has been a little bit of comms traffic in the WFTF about regionalised events... but the current thing on the table is the election of the new President. I think once that is out the way next week, we'll be able to start on other proposals.

I'm certainly happy to pass it onto Mick for him to look at though. There's a number of things that the EFTA are mulling over, so feel free to drop me a line on it, so i can add it to the list ;)

(one of the things is a WFTF website... wouldn't that be a novelty! :D)

11. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

I'm glad to see this has created some debate.

It seems to me that more people are making the effort to travel abroad to shoot, which is fantastic.

If a series of shoots could be set up it would encourage more shooters to do the same. It could also encourage sponsorship and raise the profile of the sport in general, it would be nice if that sponsorship went to help keep the costs for individuals down.

You never know it could make it onto a sports channel and we might see a Red Bull European title. I think European attitudes towards shooting might be better than ours over here, making this more likely than if we alone tried to raise the profile of the sport in Britain.

Anyway more to the point, wouldn't it be nice to spend one weekend a month shooting in another country:D

12. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

It would HAVE to be more interesting than the GOLF on Sky TV!

Regional comps are an interesting idea, it would play to regional strengths (things in common rather than things that differ), and give a stepping stone between National and World Comps. Its always a gamble as to whether the funds required to attend regionals might detract from attendances at annualWFTF events. After all there is limited funds in private pocketses my precioussssssssssss.

If the WFTF is a fully Amateur event, perhaps the Euro League could fill a void and become a partly Pro tour. Now who with deep pockets is up for sponsoring that? Lets see,.....who makes the most money out of FT/HFT/10m?

GS:)

GS

13. Tesla

Tesla Member

Club:
    AFTE ( Euskadi F.T.Association)
    Fantastic!

Mmmmmmmmmm.
    What a fantastic idea mates!. James I owe you a couple of beers!
    That would be very good oportunity to know other countries and foreign shooters.
    As some of you already knows we are very keen to develope this kind of contacts.
    The Euskadi Open would be ready to be inside this European League and the distance from England is not too big.

Regards

14. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    If a common core set of rules could be drawn up for the European shoots in line with the BFTA Rules then at least we could maintain the shoots to a high professional standard thus attracting the sponsership, I'd like the idea of a two day 100 shot competition per country,Makes the travelling worth while then. We already have an event ready to go in the form of our European championships in september. With the Euskadi open that make two events already for next year,I hope Ireland will put on an open again next year as they were talking about it at the europeans when I questioned Dermot on the posibility. Perhapes Hungary could form part of the championship as well as the worlds. That would be 4 rounds without doing to much work.

Chris:)

15. RobF

Club:
    Just thinking aloud...

European Countries in the WFTF : 19

Austria
    Belgium
    England
    Germany
    Greece
    Hungary
    Italy
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Malta
    Netherlands
    Northern Ireland
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    Russia
    Scotland
    Spain
    Wales

But you could condense that into say a;

United Kingdom; England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales
    Northern Europe; Norway, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Germany, Poland, Netherlands
    Southern Europe; Spain, Italy, Portugal, Malta, Hungary, Greece

So perhaps 3 events, one in each region. As per other leagues, once the word spreads the venues could be bid for by other countries within that region. Like you say Chris, there are 3 rounds possible this year anyway... and I cant see 3 rounds being out of the stretch in the future.

Countries outside Europe : 5

Brazil
    Canada
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    United States of America

So the US could hold a American Series as well. Just leaves those at the south end of the globe with a bit of traveling...

You could even have a US/Euro match at the Worlds to add a bit of spice.

Just while it's out there, i reckon the far east would be a good market for FT... imagine an FT shoot around the wall of china! Think of the numbers of shooters out there... that could wake the manufacturers up!

Anyway... travel and time are the two problems to solve... in reality I reckon everywhere is going to be a 3 day trip, and that's pushing it with one day in and one day out and one in the middle for the shoot. And the spons for the plane tickets could be a stretch... but then saying that, Scotland will cost me £120 in oil and £50 for a room + food and take a weekend. But lets say 4 days. It does limit the calendar a little... but i suppose I could put aside my GP title challenge for a while... give Gillott a rest.

There's a small aside in that the "Euro's" has it's traditional home at Weston Park, and so I think that would need careful steering... it's a very popular event in the UK, probably our highest profile as well. But then if the WFTF had a European league, then perhaps this wouldn't mean the shoots would tread on each other's toes.

But... saying that...

I've been wanting to try and combine a trip and shoot to italy (amongst others, but the other 1/2 is 1/2 italian so i'm working with it so to speak)... and the FFTI have just been admitted to the WFTF (now it accepts Regional as well as National governing bodies). And I think it would be good to run an instructor's course or workshop as well when we have these events.

Definitely the lure of shooting abroad is firmly hooked in me now. Have rig, will travel.

Oh this would be so much easier if the EFP was sorted... but on a serious note, I could be tempted to have a 12.1 gun, and the european league would be reasonable excuse.

Dunno about this TV malarky... I'd have to wear my best ripped jeans... and might need to trim the stubble a bit more...

We'd have to have some decent gear again as well. And a nice trophy.

16. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I think it's a mega idea, I'd love get some shooting done abroad while I can.:)

Ryan

17. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

The thing about a series of National Opens within Europe is, that it would be a good 'break-in' for the Worlds. Countries that may be up for hosting the Worlds could get a taste of a big comp with foreign attendance under their own terms, as it were.
    Greater links between National governing bodies will. I'm sure, minimise the little differences in the rules that require sorting before holding a big international event. Countries looking at a long wait before their chance to host the Worlds would benefit from hosting one of these in the meantime as well.
    The only thing against it really is when would it be scheduled, it's bound to impact on someones domestic itinery?

18. saltydog

saltydog I smell something fishy

Club:
    Mid Ulster, Tawd Vale
    I like the idea small step s would be the best approach uk league first then develop it from there, even a team event and individuals uk s top 2 teams meet the top 2 from a euro league would mean less expense. Just a thought

19. TerryJ

TerryJ New Member

" but the current thing on the table is the election of the new President " hope Tony is not in the running for it