Essex 50 what should I score

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by scutter, Oct 10, 2011.

1. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    As a few of you know, I will be shooting my first FT comp this Sunday at the Essex 50.

I have never shot FT before and even though I shoot HFT at a reasonable standard, I have no experience in Field Target. I will be writing up the event and also a piece on what FT is all about as well as what you have to do to get stated.

What I want to know though is this, what sort of score should I be looking to get on Sunday? I will be shooting C grade. I have looked at a few scores from other shoots and the chaps in C grade seem to come in with between 25 and 30 for a 50 shot course.

My current aim is to try and get in the 30's, do you think this is being too ambitious?

Thanks

Gary

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I have only shot Etl once and really enjoyed it. The lanes twist and turn so you cant relly take much learnt from one lane to another.

thats what makes Etl one of the best Ft courses in the country to me.

What are you going to score?

so many things will dictate that. High wind like on the weekend will make it very tricky.

Standers, will they be long ones? Same for kneelers.

Its an open shoot so i guess they could put out 25 ml standers / kneelers if they weanted?

if the wind is low, then aim for 30 -40, depending on positionals.

If the wind is up, be happy with 30?

Simon

3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Oi we're meant to start this book!:D:mad::D

Good luck Gary, the sitting position is difficult to get used to.:)

4. Son of HotShot

Son of HotShot Ex Shooter

The best advice i give to anyone when it comes to anything involving competition, especially when they are starting something new, is that they should at first try to compete with themselves as they are learning.

As its your first FT shoot you will have no basis for comparison, so my advice is to go out without expecting anything, be happy with the score you get, try and think how you could have shot better, and then try and aim for a better percentage next time in similar conditions.

~S.o.H

5. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    As I am writing it up for Airgunner, I need a baseline for a comparison. What would you expect a complete novice to score in a 50 shot course and what would expect to see a seasoned C grade shooter to score?

With this info, I can state whether I did well or crashed and burned. I will enjoy the course no matter what, but I am going there to compete and do the best I can.

Gary

6. NJR 100

Club:
    We took a new Ft shooter to his first gp this year Gary.

It was Iceni.

Now the chap has good kit, Big Nikko, s400 + exacts. Given this was the only shoot i have ever done where there weas no need to come out of kill, he should have scored well. However, i think out of the first 38 targets he only hit 11. He then went back to zero range to find himself a turn out.
    Really, i would have expected him to have scored 30 +

Truth be told, you wont know till the day as it will depend on the wind.
    If i attend, its likley I will have a jellyfish with me. He has just dome his first Gp season in c grade and now is in B. Windy and i would expect him to score 25 - 35. no wind and it should be 30 -40?
    I donty tell him that though lol.

7. kilty

kilty Member

Club:
    SPRINGFIELD ARC
    Hi Gary
    C grade is about 50% give or take.
    As a newbie to FT but a seasoned HFTer I expect you to come out around the 30 mark if the conditions and your shooting partner are right.:D
    Look forward to meeting again at ETL on Sunday
    cheers
    Barry

8. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I know this is to be for a magazine article but you're going about it the wrong way, expecting a figure to come away with is not the way to go or what competition shooting is all about, especially for the novice. There is just too many variables to even think about what someone might be expected to score, if you want to compare anything, compare what it's like for a seasoned HFT shooter to try FT for the first time, compare what you expect it to be like and what you thought of it afterwards.
    If you go into it expecting a 30 ex 50 or a 35 or a 40 or whatever you will be more focussed on that and miss what it's really all about, enjoying being out with an airgun in the company of like minded individuals...exactly the same as HFT.
    Seriously, you'll enjoy it a helluva lot more and shoot better for it if you don't concentrate on what you should score. Then next time you can compare.:)

9. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Your meant to be aiming to hit all 50 :D whether your C or AA

Its exactly as jamesy has said go out there to learn how to use your kit and the sitting position isnt easy.

Have you done any practising not off the bench but sitting ,ranging shooting are you hitting them in none competition.Because if your not hitting them then your sure not going to with competition nerves and worries

Most of all have fun your not going to at this rate as your mind will be elsewhere.

good luck

loops

10. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Jamesy,

Thanks for the reply, but I am afraid I have to disagree with you on a few points, Competitive shooting for me is about score, if you do not care about the score then why keep count? On Sunday I am attending ETL and even though I have had very little time with my kit and I really do not have a clue what I am doing, I will be doing my best to win.

9 years ago when I was doing martial arts, I was fighting in a round robin competition, in my first round I was drawn against the European champion. I had no chance of beating him as I was just a club fighter. However, in the first round he dropped his guard and i managed to kick him in the face for a point. (He then pulverized me:D) but this is the attitude every competition shooter should have, never give up, never back down and fight for every point.

The article is going to be based around 4 sections, the first two being a review of the gun and the scope, (AR20 and big Niko with nato ret) the third piece will be a review of the Essex 50 and the final section will be what I as a HFT shooter thought about my first experiance of FT.

I will enjoy Sunday, I will enjoy it, if I score 50 or 5, but I personally need a goal to work towards and I now have one. My aim for Sunday is 35+. That is my goal and tomorrow I start the practise for real:D

11. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hitting 50 would be great, but I think there is more chance of me hitting 5:D

The gun and scope were only really joined together today for the first time, I have spent the day modifying the rifle. It now has a large side whee fitted to the scope (old 170mm Tupperware lid) and I have made a butt hook out of a old wall bracket. The hamster has been been deepened so that it is 190mm from the base to the center of the barrel.

I have marked the wheel up for all the ranges from 8 - 55 yards using the colour system and tomorrow I will start to learn how to dial in. I spent half an hour today in the sitting position and I must admit my hip flexors are quite painful now.

I set out a target at 45 yards and in some heavy wind and on 20 mag I was killing it 8 times out of 10, tomorrow I will try 55. I am going to struggle with the standers, but the kneelers at 45 seemed OK.

As far as nerves are concerned, as I compete in the UKAHFT national series I am used to competitive shooting and they should be the least of my worries, however, if I start to crash and burn on Sunday, I will be worried about coming last:D

Gary

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  12. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D

Cheers bud, come and find me and i'll buy you a cup of tea

Gary

13. merlot

merlot Member

FT

Hi gary my name is danny webb i use to shoot hft at a good standard i swoped over to ft for more of a challenge because its a lot harder shooting of a bag than putting a butt to the floor prone style. If you score 30 sunday you have done well but expect to score less like i say its a lot harder sport than you think

14. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    What i was trying to say is, as this is your first FT comp, you have no other's to compare it to, no previous scores, no experiences in FT.
    Of course every serious competition shooter cares what they score, but if you focus on that you'll miss something else, usually the targets.:D
    I've been there believe me. Done it all from the begining almost.
    Taking the attitude that you have no chance of beating someone is also not the way the serious competition shooter should think, you have to believe you can win, the never give up bit is right, but to go into anything with doubt in your mind cannot happen.:)
    Last year at the FT world's i experienced the best state of mind i have ever been in while shooting a comp, completely relaxed and expecting nothing but to enjoy the experience and i shot all the better for it. Yes, as the competiton went on and i was doing well i did start to think about my score but it cannot cloud your mind.
    I hope you enjoy the experience.:D

15. Tackleberry

Tackleberry New Member

Club:
    Meon Valley (CSFTA)
    Have you been listening to Holly's tips for modifications??:D:D
    Shame you won't get to see Big Phil's Steyr with the Child Flip-Flop hamster rail. It was the work of genius.:eek:

Al.

16. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Here is a pic of the mighty modified Ar20,

You will note, the Tupperware lid side wheel, the extended hamster, angle bracket butt hookl and a raised cheek piece made with a Velcro knee support.

All trademark Scutter mods

Piccy

17. NJR 100

Club:
    i cant help but think your not taking this serious:confused:

Still,if it works for you.:)

18. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Best ?

Best thing to do is to get down to springfield saturday and we will show you an avearge FT course . not as hard as ETL but a winter league type course , where you can check out your range finding and positionals . if not . then i would say some where between 20 and 30 hits . you shoot HFT so you are not a mug . 30 + plus is obtainable if you understand and can use the kit . the AR 20 does not have a good trigger out of the box and this will count against you on the longuns . the Big Nikko is pretty easy to use . ??? HOLLY:)

19. NJR 100

Club:

Holls, i have set up two Ar20 in the past couple of weeks, both had very usable trigger. much better than when the ar20 first came out in 2010.
    dont know if it has been re-set at factory, but the two i set up for club mates had very good triggers really.

20. NJR 100

Club:
    have you sorted a partner out for sunday Gary?

You could either go for a C grade shooter and judge your score as your shooting.
    See if you both make the same mistakes.

or, you could pick a AA shooter and learn from them? Someone with course knolage perhaps?

thats presuming you dont beat them:eek: