Entering MFTA Events...how soon

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by JG42, Oct 25, 2011.

1. JG42

JG42 New Member

Club:
    Purley Chase
    Just a quick question following on from the post re Castle running 3 sessions.
    How soon do you have to enter an event to be sure of getting the session you want?
    Is there a standard entry form or is it e mails to the individual organisers?
    Sorry that was 2 questions.

2. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi JG42

only Castle and Shugborough (Round 10) will be shotgun starts. All other rounds will be feed on - turn up, pay your entry and join the queue at lane 1. Or relax and wait to the queue gets shorter :)

Shaun

3. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    is therer a reason to que shaun. Why not let shooters, say if lanes 1 - 5 are full, feed on to say lane 7?

Would help speed things up at non shotgun starts.

4. JG42

JG42 New Member

Club:
    Purley Chase
    Thanks

J

5. Littlekev

Littlekev Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    you can do that now if u want to nothing stopping you

6. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Because they finish lanes 7 - 15 and then find an equally long queue at lane 1. So nothing gained.

7. NJR 100

Club:
    Ah, but if timed correctly you could return from lane 15 to find lane 1 que much smaller or even gone?

It depends on numbers. It works in Wafta, but the entries are much smaller.

Just wondering why no one did it, given the mumbing on sunday about the queing.

8. j.waterfield

j.waterfield Member

Club:
    Harriers and Old Pheasant Pen Wood Field Target
    Wait at lane one !

Good old BRITISHNESS that's why we "don't" jump the que and go ahead up to a free lane, we don't jump que's.

Having said that

I think it may be a good thing if shotgun starts became to norm, as it makes better use of the facility with all lanes being shot from the beginning of the comp. BUT if you think about it "someone would have to administer it" wouldn't they !

So those that want a shotgun start how about offering to organise it for the rest of us !

I would go along with that !!

John Waterfield

9. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    I agree with Shaun and John on this, The idea of jumping on halfway down the course would not have reduced waiting times on Sunday as there were two waves of shooters turning up for a pretty good turnout of 80+.
    It may well be that shotgun starts are seen as the way to go but it will stop people shooting with their mates and require much more time and thought to administrate, pre booking etc so at the moment simple is best, if you don't want to hang around you'll just have to get there early and try to get your gun bag down in front of Bobby.

10. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    NEFTA works with shotgun starts but we don't have pre-booking. People are assigned to their lanes as they book in.

Dave.

11. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Why would you need to pre-book for a shotgun start?
    You might need to shoot 2 sessions depending on the number of shooters, but up to 3 a lane with a shotgun start would see the first 45+ depending on number of lanes straight off. 2nd session straight afterwards once targets repainted.

Lanes allocated on booking in shouldn't take longer booking in than booking in normally.

12. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    I personally wouldn't fancy turning up at 8am only to be told I couldn't shoot until 2.30pm because the first two sessions were full.
    We shot several rounds in seriously sub zero temperatures (Millride was -9 as I remember) last winter, so a five or six hour wait in those conditions apart from being unpleasant, I think defeats the object, which is to cut waiting times.
    It would be interesting to know if the NEFTA experience is that shotgun starts reduce waiting times?
    How many shooters attend the average NEFTA WL?
    How many sessions does the average NEFTA WL shoot run to, two, three or more?
    Do you struggle to get the targets in before it gets dark, bring them in after dark or do you leave them out permanently as I know a small number of clubs in the midlands do?

13. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    NEFTA W/L shoots normally attract between 70 and 100+ shooters depending on the club hosting the round (not many shooters from outside the region travel to the distant clubs)

The norm is 2 sessions but there have been a couple of 3 session shoots but they are rare.

We have 3 shooters to a lane and can have a 1A and 1B if really busy so can get 51 shooters in a round.

Round 1 kicks off at 9am unless it is fully booked early on then we will try to start the session 15 to 20 minutes early if possible.

Second session normally kicks off around 2.5 hours later (following the first session and respraying the targets)

People who want to shoot the first session normally arrive between 7-15am and 8am. There is always a chance that the sesdion could be full but I don't think this happens very often.

We used to shoot by queuing at lane one many years ago but adopted the shotgun system as it solved quite a few issues:
    1 - removes the problem of the first group going round having clean targets on every lane and always seeing their his / misses.
    2 - Queing in the rain.
    3 - New shooters not having partners and struggling to find someone to shoot with.

Dave.

14. NJR 100

Club:
    Good points.
    no 1. in Wafta there is no start time it seems, but if its at tondu and we say 9am start, no one gets on before that.

2- rain and queing do not mix lol, come to that rain and shooting dont go well together for me.

no 3, i have found the change in shooting Swefta to work well this year.
    Swefta have a rule that a shooter can not shoot with a club mate or the same shooter twice.
    (unless no other option)

This takes away the "mate" shooting situation, the sort of thing where "people" notice a certain pair always shoot well together!
    Anyway, what it does do well, is get more people to know each other, which as I said I have found great this year, my first in Swefta.
    It does of course also help new people make friends in the sport.

15. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    We have a similar rule - basically the lane (group of 3 people) must have members from at least 2 different clubs on it.

NEFTA seems to run quite smoothly with shotgun starts but we have been doing it for quite a few years and everyone is used to it.

Dave.

16. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Forgot to mention that even with 3 sessions we managed to get completed in daylight. The last round would only really have to have pairs on a lane as you wouldn't expect more than 30 shooters in it. If you have an odd number then have one of the course marshals go round with the odd shooter to stop having a bottle neck of 3 shooters on a lane.

Booking in for any session should be done a pair on lane 1 (from different clubs) then on lane 3, 5, 7 etc.
    Once lane 15 has 2 shooters start on lane 2, 4, 6 etc.
    Once you have pairs on all 15 lanes you go through and place a third shooter on every lane.

This way - if you have a low turnout for any round then it will complete quicker. Not much point having 3 shooters on each of the first 10 lanes and the last 5 empty :)

Dave.

17. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    I do quite like the way Castle have handled this in the way it's been semi pre booked / advertised.

It is difficult to judge attendance numbers as some shoots are more popular that others, last year i turned up at Ponty for a NEFTA W/L at 08:45 for the 2nd session (plenty of time you would think ?) & was told 2nd session was full & i was in the 3rd session which would kick off around 1:30 - 2pm ? I saw my arse & didn't stay but had i known it was to run into a 3rd session i would have turned up at 12:30 ish , so the more info you can put out there the better.

But you can potentially turn up at some of the more remote shoots like Hull or Manion Park & 2nd session will be half full & this is probably the same in most regions ?

So in my opinon ( for what it's worth ) the semi pre booking is a good idea BUT you still may get people not turning up like some of the GP's ?

Shot gun starts are good , even without clocks they flow pretty well.

18. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    There are odd occassions when you get a big turnout - it depends on several things coming together at the same time. Good weather, a location that the midland, scots and north west shooters can all get to reasonably easily and nothing else on in their region.

Its not very often it happens - but it does :(

19. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    If you know you are going to go to a club where someone knows what they are doing when they are putting a course out most of the time they are very well attended, sometimes the course setters forget that the idea of the game is to hit targets not miss them :confused:;):rolleyes::eek: and for me :D

20. TourneySteve

TourneySteve New Member

Club:
    Midshires
    Yea thats how the FFTA do it too :) First session is always the open round, second one is spring only, so alot of people do both sessions.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011