Energy reduction to 7.5J vicinity, LG110

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by uubis, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. uubis

uubis New Member

Hi all,

i have second hand LG110 FT gun dated 2010 which i am using as general purpose training gun. Recently my hunting team purchased however electronic target set for 10m and i am interested in some casual competition with the gents.

As i understand, the targets require the velocities somewhere below 182 m/s. My gun has been modified by the previous owner, i.e. its with the external velocity adjustment and with the .22 barrel modified as 40J (sales advert, have not tested nor am sure of the parts). It does have a black transfer port, which i suppose makes it at least 16+ Joule model. I have tuned it down from the external velocity adjustment as much as possible but judging from the shot counts i am not quite 10m ready yet..

My humble question is that, were i to want shoot occasionally 10m - which parts to order to surely drop the energy to 7.5J? I do have the 4,5mm barrel as well, so i should imagine some combination of spring, hammer, transfer port and regulator should do the trick..

Some pictures below.
    http://imgur.com/a/HVvr1

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If you're shooting a competition in 10m then they'll most likely insist on 4.5mm because the scoring is inward, so by having 5.5mm you're gaining 0.5mm.

That will drop it a bit as .177 is less efficient. What power are you currently running at?

3. uubis

uubis New Member

good question :)

The current energy is tricky as we tried chronograph it today to no avail :(. Problem thus is, i have no clear data at what pressure the regulator is, as i have 'high power hammer and spring' in a plastic bag, i only assume the ones inside are originals. I will need to try find better chronograph or try it on a brighter day.

This being said, if there is 'fool proof' lit of parts which surely set it to 7.5J, i'll gladly hear it as it seems the cost is not impossible.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  4. RobF

Club:
    All depends on a lot of stuff. Get a chrono reading and go from there.

5. AlexS

AlexS Member

I believe to rise the energy to 40 Joule from 10-m-level is the black transfer port, instead of the golden, regulator pressure boost from 85 to something above 100 bar and the bigger caliber. So a simple reversion should do the trick.

6. RobF

Club:
    We run the black here at 16J. If it was just that then we'd be doing 40J as well. Going from 40J down to around 8 is not going to be a case of swapping just that. You can run 16J with the silver as well.

You need a chrono to start with. And change the barrel. After that it will probably need a strip to find out what parts you have as well. There may be additional ones beyond what is fitted to a 16 or 8J rifle. I've stripped one that was running higher energies than 16J and it had an additional part.

7. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Just fit a 7.5 joule reg.

8. Andy P

Andy P Gently does it......

Club:
    Mid Shires Marksmen / Hereward FT & ARC
  9. RobF

Club:
    Having had a FAC action I can tell you that there are other things that are different apart from the transfer port.

The video starts with "if you are dealing with a 16J rifle".... the OP isn't, he is dealing with a 40J rifle.

10. Andy P

Andy P Gently does it......

Club:
    Mid Shires Marksmen / Hereward FT & ARC
    Yes sorry rob my mistake i didnt see he had 40J, so would say in that case reg change as well, so in all Barrell, Reg, and Tranfer port as hammer maybe ok.?

11. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Reg pressure needs reducing from 40J (setting which is higher than 16J).
    Reg pressure on 16J is also higher that 7.5J regulator so you really do either need to get s regulator tester and adjust your reg or purchase the 7.5J reg.

Choking the transfer port down only wastes a considerable amount of air and may be an option however trying to achieve 7.5J from 40J just by using a restricted transfer port is plain silly and you probably won't achieve your desired velocity, yours will be too high.

Your hammer and hammer spring configuration will also be different so you'll have to change that also. You may get away with it but I suspect you'll have to change the spring.

You need to fit the 4.5mm barrel

Without a chronograph really you are pi55ing into the breeze.

12. RobF

Club:
    There's also an additional part fitted to FAC/higher energy Steyr's that i'm not going to divulge on an open forum.

Chrono it, find out where you are and how close you are as well.

13. RobF

Club:
    Yeh could be. But there is an additional part that needs to be removed otherwise it's actually difficult to get the gun under 16J.

14. uubis

uubis New Member

thank you for now,

i'll try find a better chrony and/or a brighter day. i'll find time to dissassemble the gun to determine currently equipped parts, measurements :)