End of days for the arguement?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, May 17, 2010.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Nick Murphy put in another stunner at the weekend, Mark Fisher had him on the ropes last year. Plenty of others across the formats have shown that a recoiling springer can do just as much damage to a course as a pcp.

So with the idea of perhaps looking on the scores in awe, one wonders perhaps not if they should have bought a AA or HW, or which one is better and perhaps the springer is dead from the equation, and one wonders if they can be as good as the person behind it, rather than lusting after what's in front...

I don't even think they're out there just to ram the point home either...

2. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Well, my Steyr has gone & I'll be a Piston Person from this point on. Still yet to change my Siggy yet so I suppose it's not official till then.
    I'm hearing of several shooters that have Boingers now so perhaps a Recoil Renaissance is in the offing!

3. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    My opinion for what it's worth :confused:

You still have to pull the trigger & it's all down too good technique, i guess a twanger tunes that technique ??? i don't honestly know ? I had one for a short time & it scared the Beejesus out of me ? Now is that bad / lack of technique ????? i think so !

Nick Murphy , Mark Fisher , Neil Daniels , Matt Hirst have all put in consistant top scores with a twangers, but their all world class shooters with good technique, that can pick up a Walther , EV2 or what ever pcp they like & again 9 times out of 10 put in a consistant top score.

Examples :-

I shoot with Neil week in week out & seen him clear Redfearns course with both a twanger & his Walther, this is not every time but fairly consistantly ?

Matt Hirst & Neil Daniels GP Series 2008
    Position Name Club Class BFTA Points Targets Scores
    1st Matt Hirst ZZZZZZZZ PISTON 40390 296 183 48 0 0 50 0 50 50 48 50
    2nd Neil Daniels CASTLE PISTON 20352 294 209 50 44 50 0 0 48 48 50 48

Nick Murphy shoots a right handed twanger left handed ?
    GP Series Piston Champion 2009 , Classic Piston Champion 2010

Mark Fisher puts in 4 top GP scores on the bounce & as Rob mentioned puts in a neck & neck race with Nick for Recoiling Championship in 2009 like with Matt & Neil in 2008 ?

And most recently Matt Hirst wins NEFTA Classic Silhouette ............ with a borrowed gun ?

It doesn't shoot itself !

I may have driffted of path slightly here, but from what i know , have seen & encountered it's all down to the man ............... but you still need the right kit ........... set up correctly too !

Phew :rolleyes:

4. Dan

Dan Stealthy Walther Shooter

Club:
    anston
    good post mate all true dan:shot:

5. Anon

Anon Non member

I think Rob is right that the difference between twangers and pcps is closer than ever before, I have shot Rob Longs TX200 and my good that is so easy to shoot, however, the big thing with the springers are that you have to use consistent hold and the two courses we have shot so far all allowed pretty good sitting positions thus allowing consistent hold. I rememeber going to one shoot down the south east and that was set up deliberately to force you out of your normal position and it showed by pushing the twangers back down in the results.

Thanx for the bigging up of my previous performances Tool, I thik I could shoot a twanger back then but I am seriously struggling nowadays.

One thing I would like to see is next year get all the twangers to put a team into the constructors series, presume would need help from AirArms on this, just to see if we could manage to upset some of the pcp shooters. Would also like to see an england piston class team just to see how we fair against the pcp teams.

regards,

Matt

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    personally Matt, I think the constructors should be opened into just teams... think of a common theme, throw 8 people into the pot, battle away... i don't think common themese should be "we're all good shots" or "all world champs" but you get the drift ;) Could even have clubs or sponsors or whatever...

7. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Team Vintage AA :D

I like the club idea, get some good banter there between local clubs??

i have been thinking of doing a one off Clubs comp (remeber shooting it in the 1990 /91 season).
    Ft only, 40 shot Ft comp perhaps just after the Showdown or just before the Inters? 3 or 4 man team so small clubs can enter and the bigger clubs could have team A vs Team b etc potentially?

8. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

I can get just as good groups out of my HW98/Webley Omega as I can out of my precharges, but thats when sitting in the same position grouping from the same spot,, where the problem lies is when you get up and re position as you do on a comp, its absolutely critical with a springer to get your position and hold consistent and even undulating ground or taget height can put you off.

if your a good shot then you can do it, it's a bit beyond me at present (but im working on it) but I'm in the process of bulding up a custom HW77 which I intend to use on all non WAFTA scoring events, I much prefer to shoot a springer, a good score with one (my best being 30 with my Omega at Blaunau) gives me a far greater sense of achievement!

9. Anon

Anon Non member

A while ago myself and Chris Large tried to set up a teams competition, would be a good idea as far as I can see. It would be nice to see a welsh team, scottish team and teh England team shooting against one another through the year as opposed to a single comp. Making it along these lines would make it easier to gain sponsorship for the respective teams.

The manufacturers could still be represented as you could still nominate shooters who represent them.

Hhhhmmm wonder if we could get this pushed through for next year?

regards,

Matt