Emley GP7

Discussion in 'News and Results' started by RobF, Jul 27, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    BFTA Grand Prix 7 NEFTA @ Emley Moor

BFTA Grand Prix 7 NEFTA @ Emley Moor

It seems competition and pride are at every level of FT these days. Beyond the shooting itself, each region and club is seemingly looking for the limelight. So when one of the top region's clubs lost its ground it didn't waste any time, it found a new one, and got to work to make it a fine demonstration of what the region to offer.

In a few months from opening, Emley have transformed a wood into a full blown FT course, with ample parking, plinking & zero range, including a clubhouse with catering.

The course itself lays below a thumb shaped plateau. Around all 270 degrees it provides shelter from the elements above, but varying amounts of shelter from the breeze. You have to factor in that your shooting with a hill closeby, and watching for any windsign became the trick... I was treated to an early miss on my first target, over doing it... my partners under did it, and they had the same result as me...hmm. I went my way, they went theirs and although our approaches differed all over the course, the results didn't, hinting at the need to be as certain as possible of what you were dealing with.

As the course turned into the wind the length extended, and then the fun really began as the angles changed along with the elevation. I broke the seal on going out of the kill before the turn as I watched a 4.48 mozzy shave the side of the kill that a 4.52 would have clipped. Later on I knew I was again pushing my luck when sparks flew going as the pellet went into the longer kneeler's kill. The last lane had a full wack super-high target in a completely different direction to the rest of the course, just to really push you. But the course setters had been kind, and it wasn't all out there everywhere, and people were still capable of missing the close ones anyway.

The AM session was lead by Andy Gillott, just pipping Dave Penman who lost one on his last lane. John Costello however came in strong from the afternoon to equal Andy for joint honours on 48. Across the other grades there were many other strong scores posted to keep the PM visitors busy. Ashley Holloway and Steve Wilson held onto their morning's A grade winning scores and Antony Johnson stood 2 shots clear of a wet lonely shoot out for 2nd place in B. Jack Harris blew most of the field away with a class busting 45 to win C grade, whilst Nick Murphy just narrowly missed an overall win with 47 in the Piston class using his new Pro-sport. Dan Gillmartin stole the SFT class with 36, and also the top raffle prize of £100! The 2nd £50 prize was won by Dave Jowett. Honorable mention goes to Kev Sayers who generously ducked out of the raffle by missing the 20yd full size kill, the only shooter kind enough to do so...!

Walther set Air Arms on the back foot by winning this GP, leaving AA with work to do, and giving Walther the opportunity of sealing it next GP... but it doesn't really stop with the teams... Andy Gillott has lead early this year and, despite a hickup on GP2, has put in strong top 5+ scores each GP and set the benchmark for others to try and reach. Even then, he could raise the bar further. John Costello is close behind, and it's all to play for, but there are other dark horses at play, Calpin, Osborne and Penman all could keep Andy's nails short.

A & C grade will be down to the wire, and Simon Higgins shouldn't be comfortable in B either. Silhouettes is just silly with 4 targets between the top 3. And Piston Class is anyone's guess, but although Brian Samson looks good in SFT, will he get his dream and qualify for the showdown in SFT?

But really the trophies were just the icing on the cake, the real winners were those who turned up on the day and were treated to a superb Emley NEFTA GP. Good stuff all.

So next it's on to Nelson for the WAFTA GP, and I know the Welsh are very keen to make this a round they can be proud of. See you there!

The scores full scores are up in the Bfta and Nefta Results section (links below), I didn't get the camera out this time, but I saw a few out there, so hopefully there'll be some pics up.

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    Just got back home and would like to thank The Emley crew for a fantastic shoot today, The new ground you have was a pleasure to shoot and I appreciate all the work you have done in the short time at the ground,the course had everything a GP shoot should have, Well done and the best GP so far in 2009.

Chris Jones

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  3. LeeEv2

LeeEv2 Member

Here Here:D well done to Trev and the boys, n girls:eek: cracking ground and shoot:D
    Lee

4. Steve

Steve Member

Couldn't agree more lovely setting good balanced course,only thing I didn't like was finishing on targets 49/50 when going for my pb in ft of 46:D

5. LeeEv2

LeeEv2 Member

Anybody got any scores?:rolleyes:

6. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Thanks!!!

I'd like to add my thanks too, for an excellent well organized shoot & an excellent venue.
    I'd also like to thank the hard working food ladies for the awesome roast beef rolls.

7. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

What an excellent course, well done to Trev and every one at Emley I enjoyed it tremendously.

A fantastic venue, I look forward to more of the same :D :D

Special congratulations to Nick Murphy for an incredible 47 with a springer :eek: I am in awe :cool:

Rob

8. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Me too!

Had a great day at Emley Moor. Thanks to Trev and his crew for the course, Hugh and Bob for the company and Pat and Beryl for the beef rolls.

Cheers
    Shaun:):)

9. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  10. RobF

Club:
    yep, top stuff today... very difficult to read in sections, I had my fingers crossed for a lot of the course.

thought the course was about right for difficulty and the positionals in my opinion, something for everyone... loved the high target 49... amazed at how quickly a GP course \& club could be put onto ground that's barely been opened... a lot of hard graft there. Thanks for the effort.

11. RobF

Club:
    Cheers for them Steve.

They're also on the BFTA site under results as well :)

12. TeamZ

TeamZ Member

Club:
    Castle
    Great course, very challenging and very enjoyable, thanks to everyone involved for all the hard work.

Big congrats to Nick on his 47!!

Cheers

Chris

13. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Well done Trev & the troops , excellent day & beaten by my Best Mate Si in shoot off (well done mate) :D

14. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    well done

Well done to Trev and all who helped put out the course at Emley today. Thought the balance of target ranges was spot on and the deciplines just right too.Certainly on par with Icene GP.:)

15. CoolId

CoolId New Member

Awesome

Loved every minute

Many thanks

Dave

16. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Cracking course lads, certainly one of the highlights of the year. I know its been said but the corse had something for everyone instead of going down the lazy route of throwing everything out to 50yds+. Also loved the pheonixes (or is it pheoni? we had this debate about lane 15!) and would love to see them become a NEFTA GP signature!

Also a big thanks go to my shooting partners of the day Mr Cedric Smith and Mr Roger Moy, gentlemen both that made the session a pleasure, and where the wheels come off (targets 40-50) not feel so bad!

Will

17. RobF

Club:
    Yep, that was some fine shooting with a springer! (again for a GP shoot... seems if Mark isn't there, then Nick is... and it was a new gun and scope!

You held the 40 well Chris... I know I was quite nervy on my last target, but I wouldn't have liked that 45yd kneeler any better.

Lots of top shooting from all the grades... SFT won with an A grade score, and the others all AA... and although one side wasn't taking much wind, it had it's long ones, and it could be tricky... and then there was the other side which required concentration and courage.

18. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I'm pretty sure Dan Gilmartin got a 36 in the SFT class but his score doesn't seem to be there ?

19. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

It looks like they have stuck him in A grade by mistake

20. RobF

Club:
    That's true...he did :)