EFTA World Championship team selection

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Darron, Sep 30, 2015.

?

England team selection from Euros or Season long performance?

1. Leave it as a one off at the Euros

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Take a season long views with GP/ BFTA champs etc included

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. Darron

Darron Reformed Bandit

Club:
    Millride FTC
    Should the Selection for the EFTA 8 man team be decided on the result of one shoot (the Euros) or should a more season long criteria be used?

2. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    I don’t mind how the qualification in the future is decided, I will try my best to be placed in the England team again. I had to pull out of the 2016 Worlds yesterday evening for personal reasons.

There are positives and negatives to both suggestions, but in my opinion the two day Euros is the closest measurement of being able to shoot under similar conditions to a three day Worlds.

You have minimal time to mentally re-group after each days shooting, unlike a series where you go away for a couple of weeks to prepare for the next shoot.
    You are physically and mentally tired over a two/three day shoot.
    Your kit needs to be on top form for that continuous period of shooting with no major changes to it.
    You are more than likely staying away from home in a hotel for the Euros as you would the Worlds.

And so on….

Many aspects of shooting the Euros will be similar to the Worlds in relation to key preparation, so maybe it is a good measure for picking the team??

P.S. Thank you to Rob F for all his hard work behind the scene for all the EFTA shooters who attend the Worlds event.

Kind regards,
    Justin

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. Darron

Darron Reformed Bandit

Club:
    Millride FTC
    Good post and good points of view tif, again all I say is what if you performed well all season and then at the 11th hour you couldn't shoot the euros but you've been a consistent performer? As for the similarities between euros and worlds for prep and pressure I completely agree

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    What you are proposing is the way the team was selected years ago, it was a more informal decision but was based on overall performance.

The problem with that system is that not everyone has the time / money to attend all the GP's, I remember Mick Woodhead telling me just how many miles and how much money it cost for him and James to attend every shoot.

The BFTA European Championship is a cheap ( £30) two day shoot that doubles as a qualifier. There are plenty of places and as has been said the conditions are very similar to a World Championship.

If you look at other sports, many have a similar qualifying process, so FT is not unique in the way the EFTA select their team, plus, as Rob has already shown in another thread, pretty much the same shooters would be on the team for 2016, regardless of which selection process had been used.

Change for change sake resolves some issues and introduces others.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    It's not a team event. Team classification is a side shoot.

6. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    LOL. I don't think that point is in question in this particular thread mate, a team is created and people are passionate about being a team member and how the process is decided.

That is what I am reading from the points raised or is it that some people are just creating waves for the sake of it - who knows? :)

7. Darron

Darron Reformed Bandit

Club:
    Millride FTC
    or is it that some people are just creating waves for the sake of it - who knows? :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not picking that vibe up from any of the posts I've read? If I'm honest I'm just a bit patriotic and like to see England win at everything we do so was just wondering if there was maybe a better way of ensuring that we send our very best shooters to every world championships.
    Anybody who can qualify at the Euros has the talent without doubt and that is not in question. The question remains is it possible that one of out top shooters could not be in an England team despite performing at the highest level all season long but misses the Euros through sickness or injury? The answer is yes. Is that in the best interests of an England team? The poll at the moment would perhaps suggest not.

8. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    If you want to see a change, then put the proposal to your EFTA regional rep to be raised at the AGM, and it will be discussed and a decision made.

If you are looking for consensus, then you'll never get it, your poll already shows that.

9. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    The squad pretty much seems to sort itself out and while the process isn't perfect, it wouldn't be either if someone had to pick a squad and there's no-one to actually do that. Knowing a shooters current form is not an easy task and can change on the fly.

Like Neil and others have said, if you want to change it, get a proposal in.

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    I'm not picking that vibe up from any of the posts I've read? If I'm honest I'm just a bit patriotic and like to see England win at everything we do so was just wondering if there was maybe a better way of ensuring that we send our very best shooters to every world championships.
    Anybody who can qualify at the Euros has the talent without doubt and that is not in question. The question remains is it possible that one of out top shooters could not be in an England team despite performing at the highest level all season long but misses the Euros through sickness or injury? The answer is yes. Is that in the best interests of an England team? The poll at the moment would perhaps suggest not.[/QUOTE]

Some of the best shots in England just don't want to attend. The team has been picked, there is an automatic 8 places per RGB. In every other country that's normally their 8 top shots( if they actually have 8 FT shooters :rolleyes:) cost is now an issue and recently in past couple of years many have just lost interest.

James Osbourne
    Ian Taylor
    Dan Eley
    Simon Ayers

11. nat

nat Member

.... looking at the vote results... it's as all things FT related, divided.

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Or, 34 people voted... 340 odd views of the thread...

We can play with stats all day long. ;)

It's a useful poll. Being admin I can see who voted for what option.

13. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Euro's for the PCP team, PJC for the Springer team

14. Air Armed

Air Armed MFTA Secretary

Club:
    Castle FTC
    Aye, what Bri said!

15. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Some of the best shots in England just don't want to attend. The team has been picked, there is an automatic 8 places per RGB. In every other country that's normally their 8 top shots( if they actually have 8 FT shooters :rolleyes:) cost is now an issue and recently in past couple of years many have just lost interest.

James Osbourne
    Ian Taylor
    Dan Eley
    Simon Ayers[/QUOTE]

I think it's fair to say there's a mix of reasons why some people are not taking up places they've qualified for, and Portugal with it's competition in peak holiday season in a popular holiday destination may present it's own unique issues. Certainly the practical requirement to book up early is something that many have not been able to commit to.
    That's in addition to the sheer amount of work it takes to ensure you're in tip top condition to stand the best chance of maximising your ability at this level, which is something some shooters either commit to doing, or they dont attend.

That's if you don't have the ability to shoot 1/2 a tin of pellets over a season and go and clear a national course without any practice :D

16. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Allegedly...

17. nat

nat Member

Unique views or same people revisiting the thread ;)

18. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Man, doing "form" on Springers Shooters would be a killer, I banged a fiver on Grubber for PJBRC having watched him all season in MFTA. That was another £5 to charity!

19. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Yeah, we tend not to follow any patterns :) Just to confuse people that like to put things in spreadsheets :D

20. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Proper LOL.

It would be just three columns tho Bri:

Super Lucky - Lucky - FFS WHAT ARE YOU ******* DOING NOW YOU ******* THING