EFP- without a FAC

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by dnic, Jan 24, 2014.

1. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Hello,

I have contacted my local firearms officer to enquire as to how I can obtain a EFP.

I stated that I do not have a FAC, but have sub 12ft lbs air rifles. Here is the response.

"Unfortunately we are only able to issue European Firearms Passes for
    guns which are held on a firearm or shotgun certificate.

You would need to contact your airline regarding carrying the guns, and
    also ensure you comply with any export laws and the laws of the country
    which you will be travelling to."

So that's it then, want be all above board when I travel and thought an EFP would be an asset. Unless anyone here knows differently.

David

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Where are you travelling to?

3. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Brian,

France, Germany and Portugal, possibly Poland as well.

David

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yep, we can't get an EFP for a rifle not on ticket, and FEO's won't put sub 12 rifles on ticket.

France recently changed their laws, so you won't need one for there. If you do a search on here for France you should be able to find the recent statement made by someone from there.

Germany, they'll need to organise a license for you.

Portugal, according to their WFTF rep posting on the WFTF forum....

Poland, not sure of. But FT has been shot there before so someone on here is bound to know.

5. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Poland is dead easy - not a bad idea to have a letter from the gun manufacturer to state that your gun was manufactured as a sub 12fpe gun and if you have some form of invitation to a shooting event that'll be good to.

When I went to Poland in 2006 with two rifles, no one ever asked to see any documentation and only once on the outbound flight from Stanstead did anyone even look at the gun.

France.. they've just recently changed their laws to make carrying sub 20 Joule guns through france much easier. Again, no need to get a firearms cert, but if you've got a couple of letters that'll help you if you get into hot water.

Portugal, I don't know for sure, but I believe you don't need a license for a sub 12fpe gun out there either.

Germany - avoid! :) Major pain in the bum

6. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Brian, Rob,

Many thanks for the replies, and the invaluable info they contain. So in a nutshell, get as many documents as possible relating to the rifle. Germany sounds like it could be a royal pain.

David

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I got a pretty little letter from Walther stating the rifle was sub 12 ft-lb. Somewhere lost in the mists of time on airgunforum.co.uk is a letter from the HO stating they won't issue EFP to sub 12's. The previous combined with an invite to an event seems to do the trick. I figured that a photocopy of a letter from the HO in the year dot wasn't really going to smooth my way being stopped by the road in a foreign land at 2am so i never bothered keeping it.

The reality is that for places that need licenses, the hosts have sorted the paperwork out for us. For Germany, even though we needed it, because we drove in through Holland (where we didn't), paperwork never left the glove compartment. P&O didn't want to see anything (as far as I can remember) each way at Rotterdam or Hull. Think they wanted some forms filling in with serial numbers... that was it.

In Hungary the guns arrived with the luggage and we elected to go out through the exit 10 yds away than complicate it further, even though we had paperwork licenses. On the way back out though we needed to show them at the airport. They got the guns out in the queue for the scanning machines and put the rest of the passengers minds in a state of frenzy though :D

Italy, as one may expect, was a bit of a hoop jump, requiring forms in triplicate... and a bribe, sorry fee, for carrying the guns to the plane. Of course even though one person carried 2, we needed to pay twice. Easyjet refunded that much to their resistance. Other airports in italy didn't seem to charge. Go figure.

SA was ok. They tested they weren't illegal calibres scientifically by trying to stick a finger in the breech.

Coming back is simple. Once the plane touches down and they've actually found the guns then the chaps at C&E red channel have been more than helpful and friendly. I think it gives them something to do. And they like looking at guns. The chap at Gatwick is actually a shooter. The lady at Standsted wasn't fussed..."sub12?" "yep" "no concern of me, see ya"

Driving seems to ease the pain. I wouldn't advise going somewhere where you need a license of course, but where you don't then it seems far less paperwork to drive. A quick call to the ferry (who seemed very helpful) beforehand settles the path. Haven't tried Eurotunnel yet. P&O and Easyjet, and BA have been quite ok to deal with. Just check for charges for carrying. P&O none. Easyjet not too bad. BA have upped theirs.

I keep all my travel licenses and documents, and all the stickers on the case. My thinking is that if i am stuck, having reams of paperwork in various languages with all sorts of stamps might help. And the stickers on the case normally mean your gun will be treated as such when crossing borders, and not possibly lost. It doesnt' always work. One of the TeamGB shooters almost lost his rifles after Lufthanza couldn't be bothered to find them for a month... funny when he mentioned it on social media they found them.

8. Brian.Samson

Club:
    I haven't driven through the Eurotunnel with a gun, but I drove through without one a couple of years ago.

When I drove through, one of the standard questions they asked was 'do you have any compressed air tanks in the car'. They didn't ask me if I had a gun though.

If you drive through the Chunnel, it might be worth checking about the air bottle thing just in case.

9. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    "I keep all my travel licenses and documents, and all the stickers on the case. My thinking is that if i am stuck, having reams of paperwork ....................... might help.

That seems a reasonable assumption.
    I have, for years, always carried photocopies of M oT/Ins docs/sections of V5 in the glove compartment of the car. Hardly necessary now in the days of electronic checking, but ....
    I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to have photocopies of club membership cards too, for production in the event of enquiries by the police, whilst on a journey. Also whether it may pay to to have a small lockable cash box, for pellets, under one of the seats. Then they would arguably be remote from the gun & not be easily accessible, under the terms of the law.

10. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Which country has that law Jack?

11. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Ignore that Brian. It was a thought I had with regard to Barry Cheese's thread.
    I'm afraid that I got a bit mixed up.
    Rob's statement that paperwork would be beneficial in the event of being stopped by police - &
    also thinking of the implications of having ammunition in the vehicle in which the gun is being transported.

Just write it off as a senior moment. I have them occasionally.
    So will you, eventually. :D Something to look forward to. :eek:o :eek:

12. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Ah, I wasn't sure if it was a law you'd discovered from another European country.

13. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    No Brian. I'm afraid not. Just me, being me - that's all :D