Easyjet response to issues raised by passengers with air rifles

Discussion in 'News and Results' started by RobF, Jul 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Easyjet response to issues raised by passengers with air rifles

I'm pleased to say this seems to have a positive resolution. Thanks to all the help and guidance of the BASC, and the AMTA, the EFTA has been able to get this statement from Easyjet.

The EFTA has asked for more clarification on what constitutes "proof of ownership", to which we have been told we should have a reply within a week.

#easyjet

2. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Great news and pretty painless, highly unusual but a great result, well done.

3. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    Thsts some good news.
    But the proof of ownership could be hard. As some people myself included buy second hand so dont have any proof of purchase. So wonder what they say you need.
    Would be good to no when you find out from easyjet.

4. RobF

Club:
    That was the exact point we raised. We suggested a written statement by the owner that they were the full and legal owner might just suffice... we'll keep you posted. But I think this will be a small detail to overcome. It seems there was an error, and that's now been looked into and corrected. No company/individual/organisation is error free, but Easyjet have made the effort to look into this and resolve it quickly, so I'm confident.

5. Tesla

Tesla Member

Club:
    AFTE ( Euskadi F.T.Association)
    Easy jet: not enough satisfaction

I am also in the process of claim Easyjet Spain.
    The answer you have given, Rob, is enough in my humble opinion.
    They have exceeded his demand beyond what the law requires.
    They have been severely damaged three citizens preventing them from traveling.
    They have significantly impaired the development of an international course as the Euskadi Open is.
    They prevented the current world champion, a former world champion and another renowned shooter and great friend of ours to participate in the Open .
    And what is even more serious ...... have not properly cared for directions and explanations were provided at the airport in order not to commit a serious mistake, which ultimately committed by the lack of professionalism and stubbornness ground staff of Easy jet.
    If that's the final answer Easyjet, I think the BFTA should take up the matter and start a campaign against Easyjet to assume their error and properly compensate all.
    I am waiting for the answer to Easy Jet Spain. When I get it, I'll publish in this thread.
    Regards everybody

6. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    It's good news for future travel that Easyjet have accepted their stance was wrong, let's hope it prevents it from happening again.
    It's a shame it took 3 guys' holidays being spoilt to achieve this clarification.

When you book a flight, you have to select, and pay for, sporting gun carriage. How is this not notifying them?

7. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Sorry, my mistake, I thought 1 of the 3 was Shaun... :p

8. RobF

Club:
    I think from memory you purchase Sporting Luggage which covers carrying the guns, so it could be you are carrying skis or a bike or a rifle. I've tried in the past to let them know on the phone a day or so before, however i've had fun getting through. I think i've managed it 1/3 times, once there was a major incident on the day and the other time I was travelling at odd hours in between Italy and Spain (got to know Standsted very well in that 24 hours), so I let them know at the airport when I was there in the afternoon before.

For reference their response on Facebook seems very fast. I think it was only a few mins before my queries last weekend were picked up after posting on their page. So perhaps it's an alternative? Not for everyone granted, but adapt and overcome. Twitter also seems to be hotly used by companies these days.

9. Tesla

Tesla Member

Club:
    I've just received a call phone from easyJet aswering some questions.
    After studied the issue their arguments are as follows:
    1st. They prevent to fly with airguns because they DIDN'T WERE ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE THEY OWN each one of the rifles.
    2nd. They DON'T WARNED IN ADVANCE to the company about they travel with rifles.

I've asked for a written answer in order to have the official answer.

Anyway there are a lot of comments about each one of the two agued points.

The company ask for a document beyond the law requires. Moreover, one of the shooters had a certificate from AA about the power below of 12ft/lb and he owns the rifle with the serial number. So no discussion at all in this point, at least with one of them.
    When you book the ticket flight , you put the intention to fly with competition "firearms" , so you advise them and you pay for it!. No discussion at all.

I think these are excuses to defend something undefendible, their decission.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  10. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Kaixo Jesus, zer moduz?

You are correct, but I think Easyjet are now trying to justify their actions.
    We have to be careful of pushing them too much, or else they will just say "OK, no airguns, full stop".
    If they say the requirements are that we must show a letter proving the guns belong to us, and we must notify them in advance of our intention to fly with an airgun, then I think we will all settle for this. As long as the procedure is clear, and they adhere to their own procedure, then the requirements are not too bad.

Phil

11. Tesla

Tesla Member

Club:
    Kaixo Phil. Ondo eta zu?. Ni naiz hemen, easyJet borrokan gai hau argitzeko.

Right!. Probably you are right.
    Just received the email from easyJet saying the same as they told me by phone.
    They are castled in their positions.
    I'm just looking for a simple " SORRY, WE MADE A MISTAKE, NEVER WILL HAPPENED IN THE FUTURE". It seems totally impossible to receive it!
    Everybody who take decissions dayly risk to make mistakes, but it's honourable to admit the error. Obviously their arrogance prevent to do that.
    God save the Queen!

12. rich

rich Active Member

If it ends up having to show ownership, then you wouldn't be able to take a mate's rifle for him. Imagine he's already there or travelling separately.

13. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Re ownership.

My thoughts are we all won the war. Drop the rest of of the minor niggles that we have while the going is good. With regards to ownership thats not an issue , I am sure that we can all obtain a receipt for the purchase of our rifles with our name and address on . Thats sufficient proof of ownership . Any one that has a problem obtaining a receipt please PM me for further information.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  14. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Phew that sounds like it's sorted then. Call ahead to let them know you're travelling with a gun and get your gun manufacturer to send you a letter stating that you are the owner of your gun and that it was manufacturered to be sub 12fpe and doesn't require a licence and it's job done.

I sent an email over to Air Arms asking for a letter for my TX and they were really helpful, I've got a blinder of a letter from them now.

I'm still gutted for the EJ 3 but at least some good has come from it.

Well done Rob for your tireless pursuit of this, you've done us all proud mate!

@Ger : sorry I missed your call the other night, no signal, so the phone didn't even ring. I'm around this evening though, PM me your number and I'll give you a bell when I've got a signal.

15. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Yes well done Rob , will this milestone be remembered as the EJ 3 ?

16. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

Many thanks to rob for sorting this out .
    Not sure if they're still going for the old " get out clause " when they mentioned us not notifying them of us travelling with airguns ????? This was done when the flights were booked originally so ..... ?
    Still gutted at not being able to go to euskadi , but one good thing that should come from this is , it should make the travelling abroad road a bit smoother for everyone in the future ( hopefully ).
    Was really looking forward to this one , having not been for a couple of years to sample the legendary Spanish hospitality .
    The experience that shaun , john & myself endured still wont put me off travelling there again , hopefully next year ...... roll on 2015 .
    Calps .

17. daveuk

daveuk New Member

Club:
    Liege
    I would echo the sentiment for the guys left high and dry because of EasyJet.
    With regard to Brians comment, the manufacturer has no way of knowing whether the rifle in its present form does not require a licence. They can however state that it did not require one at the point of manufacture. The manufacturer does not know whether you have inadvertently rebuilt it and not run a batch of pellets through, leaving it at 12.5 ft/lbs.
    Dave

18. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    It's more a case of what the manufacturer are willing to put in a letter rather that what they know or don't know. Air Arms were willing to put that on letter headed paper for me.

It's quite persuasive if the gun manufacturer give you a letter to say your gun isn't capable of exceeding 12 fpe. Whether that's factually correct or not doesn't matter for the purposes of dealing with a jobsworth at the airport.

Mind you, Calps (one if the EJ 3 ) had a very similar letter with him at the airport and it still didn't help him.

The check in staff at the counter didn't even work for Easy Jet, ithey work for 'Menzies' aparently.

19. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I seem to remember having to have a document with the serial number on with the general description of the rifle for the Spanish authorities when I traveled, is this no longer the case, if it is can it be expanded to include a ownership declaration in Spanish & English issued by the governing body perhaps on headed paper?

20. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

As unpalatable as it may seem, perhaps some kind of licence is the easy solution to this.