Double header HFT / GP Ft rounds

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NJR 100, Oct 14, 2011.

1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    A few of the long distance travelling Ft shooters have thaught that as it seems to work in Hft, that a double header BFTA Ft GP round would be an option.

cons so far seem to be - need saturday off.

Pros.

Half the travelling and costs for two rounds.

Can leave a bit more time bewteen rounds for regional stuff / family time?

so what are the other pros and cons double header weekends?

cheers

2. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    I thnk it's a brilliant idea, squeeze two regional GP's together.

All pro's for me ,as i live in the cul-de-sac / arsehole corner / stuck out on a limb / billy no mates / no one to travel with , bit of England.

So the majority of GP's excluding NEFTA & MFTA are a full weekend for me anyway.

But thats just me.

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Sounds good to me, for basically the same price you get two quality shoots together:)

4. NJR 100

Club:
    Would be great to see a northern Ireland Gp ??

5. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Within HFT, the double headers are the highlight of the year. It is great to shoot for two days, but what is more fun is the Saturday night.

We all meet up at a local pub for a meal and a beer and get to know each other a little better. I do not know what the social side of FT is like, but I can assure you of this. With a few double headers in the mix, you will get to know each other a whole lot better.

Gary

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    the only other con is the extra night in a hotel, which could be the same as the fuel to another venue... but with the offers on rooms coming down to below £20/night, there's not much in it, and for a venue over 100 miles away it works out better for me.

I could see sat afternoons being a busy session to book, so perhaps something needs to be thought about in terms of booking in vs no-shows, but that's my thoughts.

What I think it could be good to do is stack them either end of the months, so we don't end up with just more time shooting... it would be nice to have say 3-4 weeks in between GP's rather than 1...

You could have a welsh open weekend, nefta weekend... at a stretch a newbury/bisley/ottmoor... scotland possibly...

Hell, if a venue was big enough you could run two shoots at the same venue and make it a joint event for those who want to compete as a two day event.

The nefta is a great weekend, aside from the shooting, it's just good to catch up.

7. NJR 100

Club:
    some interesting thaught, keep them coming.

Taking the Nefta region as an example, i think i would still do the saturday morning trip up as apposed to an extra night in hotel, shoot either am or pm and then the luxury of a premire inn for the night. Shoot sunday then home, thats my normal long distance routine as it is.

Double header would save me in this case around £60!

8. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Another con...if the double header falls on a weekend where work/family commitments clash,...or god forbid wifes birthday/wedding anniversary fall :eek::eek:...gotta have an understanding gal for that one :D

9. RobF

Club:
    or find one that shoots FT ;) :D

10. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

This idea has been brought up in NEFTA meetings every now & then for the last 10 years or so .

I'd like to see a big ( something to look forward too ) shoot every month / 5 weeks .That would give everyone the chance to put a bit more time in back at their clubs , which can only make the sport stronger in my opinion . Also a few brownie points could be harvested as family time would be more frequent .

We have the bfta / inters in april . Nefta classic in may . possible return of the anglo to take into consideration as weekend shoots . Thats 3 monthly weekend shoot out of a 6 - 7 month national calendar , so ..... would it be worth thinking about dropping gp's to 6 or 7 rounds ?

Off topic slightly . Would there be any interest in a buffet meal on the saturday night of the classic ? This is something that i look forward too when shooting abroad & brings us all together socially . Trev ryan & some of the emley gang are trying one out on their xmas do & is reporting back as to what it'll be like for the classic weekend .. Its an indian restaurant & costs about a tenner plus drinks & if it comes off could be incorporated into the shoot entry fee if enough interest is shown ...

Soz to divert slightly , but maybe an ideal chance to see how the weekend shoot get togethers would go !

Thanks , calps .

11. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Food>belly>calps[/size]

12. NJR 100

Club:
    surley thats the same if it falls on any sunday?

Just make sure you leave a card!

13. NJR 100

Club:

whats stopped it happening in the last 10 years?

How about something along these lines

1&2
    double header to start the gp season off - april / Easter Bank holiday.
    Bank holiday event could be sunday and Monday, or saturday and sunday.

3&4
    end of May, Bank Holiday weekend,. Again, Sunday + monday?

Rd 5
    end of June

rd 6 end of july

rd 7&8 end of August, bank holiday weekend

Rd 9 to finish Sept

I think the Gp series is the hardest Ft Series Champioship to win overall, i would not like it to drop any rounds.

above allows a few extra weeks off during the summer so famiily holidays can be taken etc?
    open / other shoots?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  14. RobF

Club:
    6-7 gps would leave some regions out which could make traveling worse, or leave gaps, but if it can be squeezed into 6-7 weekends and still have 9, that sounds good to me. Agreed about being able to feedback into the local scene. Shooting the Swefta summer series and the opens and the gps has seen me n H shooting probably every single weekend save 1-2 since kick off at the inters... going at it like that you don't get much time to work off the pitch or put back much into the club.

Meal at the nefta would be awesome...

15. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    regions left out

I'm thinking that a double header means, saturday shoot stay overnight then shoot the same venue next day.
    Will this cause some regions to miss out?
    Will club's want to hoste such an event,barring in mind that the coarse will probably need altering to keep it fun?
    I think from a social side of thing's could be good but with a young family at home,don't think it will go down very well at all.
    Personaly i think i'd like thing's to stay on a fornightly bases,and also think this may affect attendance.
    Yes it will meen a club will take double money but if there are only 100 shooter for 2 day's,then that's only a gain of 50 entrance fee's.
    Think the buffet sound's great but wood prefer chinese:)

16. NJR 100

Club:
    With double headers, i would prefere to see a region use two clubs.
    ie in wafta, we have Tondu (who have the 2012) gp and new Club Oaktree FTc. There is about a mile between us.

Our ground is open and tricky if windy, Oaktree is wooded / oped and impossible if windy lol!

anyway, point is could be Tondu / Oaktree or Nelson. There is only 30 miles between us and nelson so not far.

Its ok for you midland lads but shooters from sarpa, wafta, swefta Sefta have long trips to any shoot so a saturday overnight is often a must.

Could be worth a try, perhaps only one in the first season to see how it works. Bit like the 15ml kills!