Dominator Pellet probe spring

Discussion in 'Walther' started by Ceathreamhnan, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    I'm looking for people's thoughts on whether this spring is a bit too short.

The original Dominator system exploded diagram shows a part that is as long as the probe itself:

Dominatorspring.jpg

Part 30 here. Though possibly that shows it being extended.
    The spare part is a 29mm long spring over the curved ends:

Picture 166.jpg

This is Judith's picture.

One of my springs has broken off at the end link; I look at the one in the other similar action and it's distorted and stretched beyond the original shape in places over the rubber insert pipe that goes inside.
    The spring starts at 29mm and goes out to approx 75mm full extension with the probe in the barrel. All the spring specs I look at seem to show the max an 'extension' spring should be pulled out is less than 100% of the original length. Is this why it's broken? Has anyone used any other length of spring?

2. Michael Brownlie

Michael Brownlie New Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Yes sir, i would concur with this hypothesis as my 10M converted 300 was very tight and “squeaky” until I bodged an end cap that had a longer tang, effectively shortened the length/tension by about 5mm. My spring was also distorted at the rear but I put this down to installation/removal through its various owners and mishandling.

Looking at the “dog bones” and mechanism once the probe/cocking lever is fully forward it’s locked by the pivot point of the cocking arm. I can only see the spring simply being there to aid the probe direction rearward and prevent the probe slingshotting forward ???

3. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

The line drawing is a little misleading and gives the impression that the spring should be longer than those actually supplied .
    I have seen inside a few lg 300 and all the springs have been short like yours .

You can do what you like with this spring .
    It makes no difference to the operation of the gun other than alter the feel of the cocking lever .

Some of the lg300 models with a stabiliser / equaliser type probe have no spring at all .

We like the Lg300 a lot , but have said for along time that this spring is unnecessarily strong / short and is one of the reasons for wear on the the left side of the pellet trough .
    This wear will eventually develop into damage to the taper / oring on the probe and the taper of the barrel

If your old spring is now scrap , try opening out a few coils from the broken end and create a new hook or even a loop .
    you can adjust the tension by stretching a coil or 2 .

Be aware this is a one way journey for the spring . So a little at a time would be wise .

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Michael Brownlie likes this.
  4. Ceathreamhnan

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Yes Phil it looks that way, thanks.
    My other very late action from 2012 has the larger probe body for where the equaliser would go and this didn't have a spring; Pete D made one for me there.
    I'm going to get some slightly longer springs. Even though one of the actions that have the short spring has been used to death, it hasn't developed wear in the channel like that thankfully.

Michael Brownlie likes this.
  5. Michael Brownlie

Michael Brownlie New Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Hi Greg,

With the probe fully rearward what is the distance to the rear of the block? It may be that if the spring is too long it may impede the probe ?, this was my thinking when making the button/end cap longer but I did not get around to measuring before swapping to the 400.

Cheers

Michael

6. Ceathreamhnan

Club:
    Dunfermline
    I think there's room for a 35-40mm spring.

7. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

Too long spring will impede the rearward action of the probe .

on the std domi , it pushes the plug out the back

on a later stabilser type it will lock against the screw plug and prevent full travel