does this mean semi auto's are now legal then ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Deleted member 4175, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Deleted member 4175

Deleted member 4175 Non member

2. petesonfire

petesonfire Member

Club:
    misfits
    I saw these at soleware website as well, the power figures look a little low I don't know if that helps, and from what my mate looked into they needed to be smooth bore to be legal (but don't quote me on that) which would only make them a bit of fun down the range

3. johnbam

johnbam Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Look like RIF - Real imitation firearms.

That could bring some contention never mind the semi auto ability.

4. oldtanky7642

oldtanky7642 Member

I was reading dome place that it's actually 750 ft/per sec

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

They're no t semi auto, the simplest description is a double action rifle, loads and loads of fun, we've put shed loads of pellets through the pre production samples.

6. Corvids

Corvids Member

Club:
    Bolton Gun Club
    The way it's been explained to me is no, it's not legal.

Mick

7. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

How have you had it explained to you Mick?

8. oldtanky7642

oldtanky7642 Member

I spoke to a JP who i was in the army with , I showed him the photos and video clip of the Siggys, he said to me , that if ever a case was brought in front of him for miss use of an air weapon such as this , he would have no choice but to pass it on to Crown Court , just by its appearance and the way it shoots,he just wouldn't have an option.

9. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    Wouldn't he also pass on any case with a 'normal' air gun to the crown court? I don't understand how the military looks change anything.

10. oldtanky7642

oldtanky7642 Member

No idea, I'm not clued up on the law, unlike some of the people on some other forums.

11. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Because it can easily be mistake for something "high power" by the person deciding wether to put a 9mm bullet into your top lip.

12. oldtanky7642

oldtanky7642 Member

See, I told you ;-).

13. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Problem is the drafters of that particular piece of legislation failed to cater for the fact that airguns are deemed as firearms under UK law, just the ones that are not deemed "specially dangerous" i.e. Under the legal limits, don't fall into sections 1 or 5.

So an airgun that happens to look exactly like a "real firearm" cannot by definition be classified as an imitation firearm because it already is a firearm. Oops! :rolleyes:

This is why the .177 CO2 pistols that look exactly like 1911s and Berettas can be sold as airguns and not as airsoft RIFs requiring specific defences such as being a reenactor or airsoft skirmisher.

14. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    It's a fair point Adam, however in a court of law armed with just a few pictures of normal air guns and something that looks like a machine gun, well, you'd lose the jury in about 5 seconds. You wouldn't even need to be a good lawyer to make your point. Which one looks more dangerous? You can see how it would scale.

15. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Ah yes, a "normal air rifle". If you mean a picture of a BSA meteor with open sights, I might take your point. As opposed to something that looks like a (COD player's) sniper wet dream. ;)

Thing is you're not going to be in front of a jury just for owning it ...mainly because it's legal. If you're in front of a jury it's going to be because you've been acting the tit with it, in which case its RIF status is the least of your worries.

16. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Let's face it, if you own one you're a bit of a tit to start with and you're probably more worried about which camo matches your eyes!

17. richierich

richierich New Member

They are legal providing the barrel is smoothbore (remember the crosman 1077?), and does not exceed 6fpe in either calibre. Looking at the stated velocity figures on BAR's website, it would seem they fall under the limit. That is, if the figures are based on the lightest pellet for the calibre (eg. 7.4gr for .177, and 11gr for .22)

18. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Thanks. In addition to my "normal" air guns I currently own several Umarex CO2 powered replicas: CP88, Beretta 92, Smith & Wesson 586, and Colt SAA, plus a Walther Winchester CO2 rifle and a handful of airsofts. In the past I've owned the Umarex CX4 carbine (a 30 shot true semi auto .177 pellet firing replica of the Beretta CX4) and half a dozen other CO2 .177 and BB pistols.

And if I had the money, and the time to shoot it, yes I'd probably get one of those Sigs, they look great "fun"*. If that makes me a tit, so be it; there are quite a few of us tits on here actually.

Plinking, shooting purely for "fun"... you should try it some time. ;)

* Fun
    noun
    1. something that provides mirth or amusement:
    2. enjoyment or playfulness.

19. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    LOL Both feet :)

20. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club: