Disabled Kneeling position - NEFTA winter league

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by imorik, Dec 10, 2011.

1. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Can someone confirm if it is to be allowed or not :confused:
    What are NEFTA rules for disabled positions :confused:

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Ask the chief marshall at the shoot, it's his decision AFAIK.

3. rick

rick New Member

Message Body

This is the latest instructions I received this week from Trev Ryan.

would you please make your members aware of the correct procedure for the use of the disabled shooting position, if a shooter cant kneel for there kneelers then they must take the next hardest option standing, if they cant stand then they use the alternative disabled positions, but they must see the chief marshall on the day before the shoot commmences and get there card signed.

would all host clubs please put signs up on the day to say who the chief marshall is .

4. rich

rich Active Member

They have to see the chief marshall the day before the shoot?.....:confused:

5. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    I think he means:

on the day, before the shoot commences

i.e. day of the shoot, before starting the session.

6. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    I think he missed a commer
    dyislexer rules KO

Aitch

7. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Is that something similar to a comma, Harry? :D

8. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Taken from the Nefta FT rules

From page 4

Disabilities: Shooters with physical disabilities may use the alternative positions as detailed in Appendix 2. The requirements of wheelchair users will be considered on an individual and mutually agreed basis. The shooter s score card is to be endorsed by the shooter and the Chief Marshal on the day.

From page 8

APPENDIX 2
    Disabled shooting positions
    NEFTA accepts the BFTA Disabled Shooting Positions Clarification document as part of these rules.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

9. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

You can use the BFTA positions providing the Chief Marshal is aware before the shoot.

It's not that confusing if I can get it and I'm a grubber!:D

10. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    The confusion is that on Sunday at Emley anyone unable to shoot kneeling due to medical problems, but were able to shoot standing, had to take the kneeling shots standing. Only if you were unable to shoot kneeling & standing due to medical reasons could you use the alternative disabled position.

So you couldn't use the alternative positions...........that's the point of this post.

11. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    That is correct procedure i believe. Chief marshal decides what is to be done, kneelers taken standing or alternative positions.

I would expect it to be re-used a bit more in 2012 than it has in previous year(s)

12. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Where is it stated in the rules.......as I can't see any mention of it :confused:

13. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

You could if you had your card signed by the chief marshal as Trev advised earlier on.

14. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Not......asked Trev on Sunday, he said "have to take kneelers standing, unless you were unable to do standers"

15. rick

rick New Member

Go onto the NEFTA website and look at FT rules/NEFTA shoot rules the BFTA Disable Rules clarification document was adopted in 2010. Until NEFTA committee changes the rules those are the ones we are working too.

It is the responsibility of the Chief Marshal at each shoot to interprets the rules and decides on the fairest course of action for any individual who cannot kneel or stand. If I end up being Chief Marshal at Redfearn s shoot my first question will be, what did you do at the other winter leagues.

This is not going away and it should be at the top of the list for the NEFTA committee to clarify. Not going to be easy and it certainly isn t going to go away.

16. IvanM

IvanM Member

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I am happy to take my kneelers standing but would appreciate not having do 6 while all those folks with bendy legs have only to shoot 2.

I don't think anyone wants it to be unfair to us non-kneelers so I would hope there would be support for a 4 standers 2 kneelers course arrangement, in future. If its done that way it is completely fair on all those who can kneel and less unfair on those who can't. It isn't perfect but as we all know, there isn't a perfect solution, so a fairer compromise seems like a good way forward.

On Sunday Trev indicated that this would be put forward at the next NEFTA meeting. This is much appreciated and I hope it will get support from other respected members of the NEFTA community.

Ivan

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  17. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Is there a record held of those who need to shoot using different positions on medical grounds? If not, surely there should at least be some form of log/register to keep a track of who is using alternate positions, and what positions are being used.

A simple record sheet provided for each club to use during booking and and then passed on with the results shouldn't add much in terms of work and would help marshals if there were any queries.

18. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Ivan, I understand your point of view on this, but the other side of that suggested blanket ruling would then be penalising those who have put a good deal of practice into kneelers and as such may not be seen as fair on everyone else, as well as taking away an element of freedom in course setting.

Playing devil's advocate would be that you are aware of the requirements for FT positions and choose to take part despite knowing that you are unable to use one or more of those positions, so therefore suggest that the rules that everyone else shoots by should be change as a result of you not being able to shoot a certain position.

I have asked previously, but just how many people actually need to use the adapted positions?

FT by its very nature is a physical sport. Is it always right to adapt the rules used by a large majority to suit a minority? I don't know the answer to that one. :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  19. IvanM

IvanM Member

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Paul

I can understand why people would sooner do kneelers than standers - I would. I think as a principle though more fair is better than less fair.

Speaking for myself: I think that in any given situation, if it is possible to accommodate a minority without significant detriment to the majority, it is right to do so. I openly admit to being a bit of a liberal though. :D

Ivan

PS Why doesn't the devil ever speak for himself? :)

20. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Is that more fair for more, or more fair for less???????

Still can't help but feel though that it's still a case of choosing to do something within which somebody is unable to shoot a specific position. Rules are in place and an answer has been given in relation to that.
    The answer given does not suit, so expect a change of rules instead.

I know how good a shot you are Ivan, and know that you want to do well. You also were aware from the outset of your FT shooting that you can't kneel, and that there are kneeling shots. There are rules in place regarding this and it would appear that further direction has been given also.

You want a change of rules to help the fact that you can't kneel. Should there then be further changes to the main rules because somebody else can't use another position and they don't like the alternative?

Sorry to sound hard nosed, but you knew the rules and requirements when you chose to have a crack at FT.
    If you know that you are limited in the positions that you can use, but still chose to shoot, then surely it is up to you to adapt within the rules, not have the rules changed to suit you???