Dirty barrel

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Magic Bus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Here's a question for you all. Can a dirty barrel cause shots to go low? I know there can be other causes too of course :) I pulled the barrel through today and the first few patches came out really black, much dirtier than usual. Funny thing is the gun, an EV is now a lot more consistent over the chrono after the clean. Coincidence or do I need to clean the barrel more than once every few months? Thanks in advance.

2. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Variation

The barrels vary with each one. Some like to be cleaned very regularly (after every tin of pellets), others dont need to be cleaned at all.

My old Ripley AR5 never needed the barrel to be cleaned. I owned the gun for a number of years and dont think I ever cleaned the barrel.

When I set up my Walther as it was practically brand new, I cleaned the barrel after every 200 shots initially after a few times then i cleaned it after every tin shot through it.

My EV2's dont seem to be as fussy to be honest. I do clean the barrel but it will tell you when it needs it as the groupings you will find are not as good as they should be.

During the Summer time with all the big comps I am more likely to clean the barrel every couple of weeks in between say GP's etc. So I know that it is ready and leaded up for the comps then.

Try it out now that you have cleaned it and see what its like...

Berty

3. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

As Berty said every barrel is different. I sometimes think that the barrels need a small bit of lead in them to work better rather than super clean.

Both my AR5 and AR5s get a proper clean at the end of the summer but other wise it gets a pull through every other month with a patch that has a small bit of barrel cleaner on it to slightly clean it.

My Rapid I have only cleaned it once in the 10 years of ownership. Will give me groups of 3/4" at 45yds with a full magazine rested (.177 cal) which I am happy with for HFT and Hunting when needed.

A good friend owned a RN10 during the 98 GP season that had to be cleaned after every 3 weeks or so. He was using 7.9 Premier at the time as was shooting it every weekend getting through about a box and a half of them a month.

4. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    My EV2 needs a clean almost every time I use it! you notice it going off after 200 shots!

I don't super clean it or it takes 50 or so shots to bed back in, 1 patch with a little cleaner on it and 2 dry ones is all it needs, and 1 proper clean every 6 months or so but its deadly accurate when its happy so I can't complain much

5. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Norm

dirty barrels usualy make for eratic groups . in other words the groups open up ??? HOLLY PS my GC2 woud go 6 months without cleaning .

6. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    6 Months

The barrel is just like its owner then I take it heehee.. Haahaahaa......

Berty

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yes yes yes ?

Yes Berty ,GREAT TO LOOK AT , RELIABLE , SUPERBLY ACCURATE , With a Really Dirty Mind ??? HOLLY

8. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    It will get tried this Sunday hopefully Berty. I'm just intrigued as to whether a barrel as filthy as mine was can cause the odd shot to drop low. I thought the reg might be creeping but over the chrono it seems fine.

9. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Could be bad pellet

It could be a bad pellet now and then,

If the gun is good over the chrono etc, then the reg is fine. I am always happy with a 10 fps variation over a charge through my guns. If its lower then happy days, if its 15 fps its not the end of the world.

I weigh my pellets, I use JSB Exacts myself and weigh them into batches such as 8.2, 8.3, 8.4 etc etc. My rifles seem to run about 4-7 fps over a charge with weighed pellets which I then know is spot on.

I would check the gun with weighed pellets to start with over the chrono, then use the same weighed pellets when shooting on boards and see how much better the groups might be or do they stay the same.

All I do with my pellets is weigh them, I dont clean them or lube them size them or have them blessed etc. I find weighing them is enough for me.

Tell us how you get on when youve done your checks.

Berty

10. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Will do Berty.Thanks for the advice. I need to get myself a set of scales I think.

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    seen shots randomly drop on several guns now... suspect pellets cos cant get anything to show over chrono... reason i started sizing... think it helps, almost the group comes down to where the dropped shots go, if you see what i mean...

still see it now and then, but it's not as bad as falling out of a 55yd kill...or a 40 for that matter... saw that a few times.

seen a rifle needing a clean after 50 shots when new... poi wandered... group tight, just wandered... 20mm at 25yds... clean, back on zero... then after 50, wander... after strict intensive cleans, she settled.

12. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Low shots

Dont know if this is any help you may have already elminated reg creep.

Some time ago i had a simular problem I was shooting FT at Lea Valley and my first shoot in each lane went low, second shoot bang on.
    So went home and tried it over the chrono and found that the first shot after the rifle had stood for a few minute gave a lower reading and then all shoots were fine over the chrono, leave it again and the first shoot was low. A reg service sorted it out.

As i said may be of help.

13. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Thanks for that. I don't think it's the reg as over the chrono all seems well, checking at ten minutes, fifteen etc.

14. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Eliminate the possibles then

As youve already done youve eliminated some of the possibles.

It could be bad pellets or the dirty barrel, I know the old Premier pellets would really dirty up the barel and thats why people cleaned them when using them. I am not sure what the new ones are like though as never used them, even though I got a box here to try out.

If it is the barrel being dirty then work out a system that ensures you dont have the same problem again. Hope you found some scales after...

Berty

15. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    I remember how filthy Prems could be :) What surprised me was how dirty the barrel had become with Exacts. I guess I must have maybe shot more pellets than I realised :rolleyes: I'm taking your advice this evening and will hunt down some scales. Thanks mate.

16. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    No problem, keep me posted on what the actual issue was as well so I know I never get the same problem anytime haahaa...

Berty

17. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    The filthy barrel did not help as consistency has returned to single figures after the barrel clean. So ooo .. there is a tin of pellets that needs weighing.

18. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    I weighed the tin of pellets I had been been using from and found the majority to be in the 8.4 to 8.5 grain band. However there were a significant number above and below that range, some at 8.6 and 8.7 and some as low as 7.7 grain. That's quite a variation :rolleyes:

19. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Batch weights

7.7 is ridiculously low to be honest, that is 0.7 grains under what you would expect them to be. Worst I ever had was 7.9 with Select pellets.

Thing is if you for instance have a small amount of light pellets and set your zero etc with them, when you use a pellet that little bit heavier you would be suprised how much diferrent it will be. Sadly people think into it too much.

I batch my pellets into weights as follows 8.2, 8.3, 8.4 etc, so I know I can put the same weight through the barrel at the same time. If I change from one extreme to the other, I will check the shots on the boards and see how much of a difference the variation in the weight has caused and rectify as I go along. Simple way of doing it really if you ask me. My batch that I have had for the last 2 years have been great for my rifles and all I do is weigh my pellets nothing else.

Berty

20. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    As much as I don't enjoy weighing pelets I think I need to, especially as Chairgun suggests an inch difference in drop at 55 yards between 8.4 and 8.7 grain.