different classes in FT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Evo, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    hi all, as I,m new to the sport of FT does this mean when I,m entering the comps I will start off as class C

am I allowed being a class C to enter the grand prix series or do I have to wait until I,m AA before I,m allowed to enter the GP series,

I have read as much as I can about the sport but im a little confused,

the reason I,m asking is I would like to start entering the competitions which start on 20 march ( NWFTA) at Byley and would like to know do I have to enter this competition series beforehand and if so who too and how do I enter,i have not long become a member of Byley FT and not really had the chance yet to ask the guys there

this FT lark is fast becoming very very addictive but I,m really looking forward to pitting my shooting against other competitors,

many thanks for all your help and I really appreciate any replies to my questions,

2. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    You can enter the GP series as any grade, all you need is a BFTA card.
    You will realy enjoy the GPs thay are great fun and you meet a bigger range of people.
    About the other i can say. As im from north east.

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Fist thing you need to do is bump into your club secretary, but, to get you started.

FT is shot in a sort of two tier system; regional and National.

If you are a member of a club in the region, then you can enter a regional competition, usually by turning up on the day but you need to check on the specifics.

To enter a GP you need your club secretary to apply for a BFTA card for you. Once you have one then entry to GP's can be made on line via the BFTA web site.

Regionally you will start in C grade and as you scores improve over time, so will your grade. Nationally you will start as an ungraded A grade, and after three GP's you will be given your proper grade by Simon Evans (gradings officer).

I'm glad your enjoying shooting FT, it is an extremely enjoyable / frustrating / fascinating shooting discipline.

Hope to see you at a GP sometime.

4. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Have fun

You can enter the GP's via the BFTA web site when booking opens ,its open to all grades.
    However you might have to shoot the first 3 GP's as A grade until they establish your ability. This is done to protect C graders from throphy bandits ,who think that winning C grade when they shoot at A grade level is an achievement .
    You have to shoot 5 out of the 7 to place and I think you have to shoot at least 3 to get in the end of season raffle.
    Enjoy
    Simon

5. Evo

Club:
    thanks for the replies lads, I,m more understanding now, I will speak with the secretary on sunday to get my number sorted then I,ll certainly be entering the comps,

I have always been a dedicated sportsman in my past and where possible always give 110% so I,m certainly looking forward to putting the hours in on the circuit and I,m always willing to learn,

its certainly addictive that's for sure,

thanks again for your help

cheers Bob

6. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Just to add a little bit to that, because it works slightly differently now we have the Semi-Automatic GP Scoring system in place.

First thing to say is that if you don't have a BFTA Number, you can still shoot a GP, but you won't shoot in grade and you won't be eligible for a trophy or a raffle prize (there are some great raffle prizes at the GP's!)

Once you have a BFTA Number (see your club secretary to check that one has been ordered for you) then you can start to earn an official grade.

If you shoot in your local region events and you have a BFTA Number, Eagle Eyed Simon Evans (the grading officer) will spot your scores as if by magic and start building a rolling 16 percentage grade for you. Once you have 3 scores recorded you'll be allocated a grade.

If you start shooting the GP series and you haven't got 3 scores recorded (regionally or nationally) you'll start the season as "Ungraded A" which will effectively mean you'll be shooting against A grade shooters at a GP. However... once you have 3 scores, you'll be re-graded so that the next GP you shoot will be at the grade you've earned.

So.. in short.. you can shoot a GP even if you don't have a BFTA Number, but I'd advise you to apply for one as soon as possible. Once you have a BFTA Number, try to get out and shoot some of your regional Winter League events. If you can get 3 in before the start of the GP series, you'll start the series with an official grade.

If you can't do that, don't worry too much, you'll be re-graded during the GP series once you have 3 scores.

Sometimes to speed up getting a grade some shooters will also visit a neighbouring region to shoot one of their Winter League events as a guest. Even guest scores go into the grading officer, so in theory it's possible to get a BFTA Number and an official grade in few weeks.

The GP series is great fun and the atmosphere is really friendly and relaxed, there's no snobbery about grades at all and no one is looked down on. The best way to learn FT is to jump in with both feet and ask questions.

7. Evo

Club:
    thanks for the reply Brian, I,m at byley on sunday so I will speak to the secretary to get my number, I,m 51 years young and have hunted all my life but this FT stuff has really give me a new lease of life, the people I have met at byley have been so helpful and they are a cracking bunch, they must be fed up with me asking questions all the time ( only joking ).
    I do look forward to shooting FT and it has given me an increased buzz to take the rifle down and have a go,
    I know its a learning curve but I am prepared to put the effort in and practice, I do this now even with my hunting by putting targets up at the fishery and practice shooting in all weathers and conditions so really I suppose its the next step to enter the comps , I,m just gutted I didn,t take it up a while back because I feel like I,ve missed out on a cracking sport and one thing I will say is it will only improve my shooting that's for sure, its certainly addictive but I sold a couple of my rifles to fund it and have ended up with a decent setup so its down to me know how far I,d like to go and to the top will be the bare minimum lol

thanks again Bob

8. fireblade2

fireblade2 Master Yoda AA FT TEAM

Club:
    Tawd Vale AR&FTC
    Ho Bob, All NWFTA shoots are run to the same standards and rules as BFTA were possible, so your starting grade will be A grade until we see an average over 3 shoots then you will be put in your correct grade and your current points will go with you.
    There is the last of Our winter comps in a fortnight (check on the tawd ftc home page for this years shoot calendar ) this will be at Oldam ftc its very similar to byley so youll fell at home
    5 quid entry and you will get your first comp under your belt, shame you missed the last one as it was at byley sunday gone.

Cheers

Dave.

9. Evo

Club:
    yes Dave I saw the comp at Byley but didn,t attend because I didn,t think I could enter, I,ll put your comp in my diary and I,ll certainly pop down even if its only to watch and get a feel for things , my rifle is with john ostler at the moment so waiting on that coming back,
    cant wait to get to grips with the comps and I,m really looking forward to it, certainly beats sitting in with the kids

10. Fox

Fox Member

Hi Bob, if your going to pop down to Oldham for a look see put the riffle in the back of the car you will be made very welcome.

I hope to be at Byley this Sunday.

Clive

11. Evo

Club:
    hi clive, thanks for the reply, I,m hoping to go to Oldham to shoot but it all depends on weather my rifle is back from being serviced,

mind you I,ve got a s510 ultimate sporter that is very accurate that I could use,

I,ll be at byley on sunday bud so hope to see you there

cheers Bob