Differences in Steyr Barrels

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by cloverleaf, Apr 5, 2019.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

For various reasons I've had cause to photograph some barrels recently, and noticed a difference in the rifling geometry between two different .177 rifles.

1. 650mm Hunting 5, Circa 2014 (dirty!):

SMALL_IMG_8896a.jpg

2. 550mm LG110, supplied recently (but appears the same as the original late 2017 example it replaced):

SMALL_IMG_8863a.jpg

Note that the H5 barrel has lands and grooves of similar width (typical Walther profile IME), while the LG barrel has skinnier lands / wider grooves and also appears to have more pronounced rads on the edges of the lands too.

I always thought Steyr (at least under Anschutz ownership) used Walther barrels; do we think Walther have changed their profile, or perhaps Steyr are sourcing their tubes elsewhere? Alternatively, could these barrels be different because of the rifles they're fitted to, rather than the time it was made?

Intrigue! Anyone got any thoughts?

2. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    My limited experience of manufacturing has taught me that people use whatever is available and more importantly, the cheapest at the time they need it. So if barrel supplier A is out of Walthers but has a shedload of cheap CZ barrels they'll do...;)

3. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    wow that hunting barrel looks a bit ropey mind doesnt it!

4. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

Interesting .
    Dunno where i got it from but i thought Steyr used Lw barrels too .

I suppose it would make sense that they use Anschutz .

We are pretty convinced that Walther use Lw after Rob seen 'em on the Lw stand at the big show. (that's real Walther , dunno about the springers )

cloverleaf likes this.
  5. hmangphilly

Prob a load of lead dust stuck to it .
    The factory finish is usually really good

6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Yeah, although I'd hope that someone in Steyr's position might be a bit more discerning!

Indeed - it would make sense for them to use Anschutz but I always thought they used Walther and the rifling pattern of the H5 would seem to support this. Maybe they're switching over, anyone with an Anschutz barrel / familiar with their geometry care to comment?

I wish I'd slugged the new one before fitting it to check its twist, although I wasn't aware of any differences at that time..

I think Walther are the default for most decent manufacturers and the cost of manufacture / economy of scale argument makes a compelling argument for them to come from one source. Wouldn't surprise me if the barrels on the Umarex guns were Walther too, given the connection between the two companies; just with higher tolerances / more liberal QC to suit the much lower price point.

Said barrel hasn't been cleaned since new and has thousands of rounds through it. Last outing it managed these two groups at 50m (5 & 10 shot groups) so I'm certainly not complaining :D

SMALL_IMG_8834a.jpg

Both are considerably tighter than the LG110 (to which the above barrel belongs) managed with the same pellets, although the LG did seem to have a taste for Exacts..

Aye the finish is generally very good :)

It's interesting to see where the lead accumulates. The shot above was taken with a bit of bogroll down the bore to act as a reflector and bounce more light onto the rifling; which downplays the presence of the lead. I also took some without the bogroll which really shows the grey lead deposits against the dark bore.

The lead seems to accumulate in a number of places - both at the root of the lands (where it slowly builds up over time) and on the face of the lands themselves. That on the faces of the lands manifests as both shallow, longitudinal streaks and the odd spot that I guess grows around an existing surface flaw / defect. It also appears that one side of the land's surface is more affected than the other for some reason; maybe something to do with the quality of surface left during manufacture.

I probably ought to clean the barrel, however it's a swine given the nature of the gun (it's either cleaning felts or barrel off), it shouldn't damage the gun and it doesn't appear to be harming accuracy!

If there's any interest I'll chuck up the dark shot for a better view of the fouling when I'm back at home :)

7. Yoeri_B

Yoeri_B Active Member

Club:
    B/Gwent & Target .177
    Hi

I had a conversation with Carl Egger(ceo Steyr sportwaffen) few years back, and he told me that when they moved from steyr mannlicher to the current setting, they went from, cold hammerforged Steyr mannlicher barrels to standard cut riffeling barrels from LW. But the special nickelplating was done in Austria inhouse and is the most expensive process of the hole gun. I had a demo on the quality of that finish and I was very impressed. Like Hmangphilly said the finish is really good.

Kind regards
    Yoeri

pbrown likes this.
  8. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Yes your experience is limited as I know for a fact that they solely use LW barrels (to their own specification). I also know for a fact they order a year supply at a time. :cool:;)

9. hmangphilly

I'd be quite happy without the plating

nemesis and NeilM like this.
  10. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Nomads
    Can we say then that the finish on the lands and grooves we see in the photos is nickel plating, and if so, is it possible to over clean the barrel?

cloverleaf likes this.
  11. blacklab

blacklab Active Member

Club:
    nelson
    the barrels seem to be ok until steyr get them

wiseguy likes this.
  12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

It looks like Nickel from its colouring and yes, FWIW I'd be very wary of using anything abrasive in the bore as I'm not sure how nickel would react although I'm happy to be guided by the more learned / longstanding Steyr owners..