Deon March 10-60x52 BR Review

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by RobF, Feb 8, 2010.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Ok, this will be a work in progress because the box has just only hit my desk. So i'll add bits as I go.

I'll be using a Deben 10-50x56 IR as a comparison for dimensions. In this case the scopes will be naked, and won't carry any sidewheels, custom top turrets or sunshades (in part because the March sunshade hasn't arrived yet).

Firstly, weight. On my postal scales, which measure up to 3kg's, the March scope weighs 700g exactly. In comparison, the Deben weighs just under a 900g, or 884g to be precise. (edit: for reference a Leupold Competition is 576g)

Length: The March is 415mm long and for comparison, the Deben is 470mm long (remember this is with both minus a sunshade)

So, so far so good. Lighter and smaller than what I normally use (assuming the Hakko Walther/Tasco custom shop is close to the Hakko Deben, which outwardly it appears to be)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. RobF

Club:
    So, looking at the controls...

Everything is super smooth to turn. It's not as light as the controls on a leupold in reference to the parallax or zoom, but no where near as firm as a Hakko offering. There's no sensation of feeling any mechanics inside, it just turns.

The parallax wheel is a tad smaller than a Hakko, and slightly thinner. I reckon it won't take too much modification of a couple of wheels of mine to fit, but i'll have a play with the optimum sidewheel size before selecting one.

The parallax wheel is marked from infinity, down to 10 yds (or metres, being a bloke i haven't read the manual), and there's a gap of about 8mm between the 30 and 50 markers, suggesting plenty of meat for ranging. It's about 30mm diameter.

One nice bonus is that the wheel turns past the 10 mark, and comes down further. I'm not sure of the length of my office, I can't remember if it's 7 or 8m, but it will come down closer than that (on 60x), suggesting that a close focus adapter is not going to be needed for an 8yd target.

The turrets arrived zero'd and they have 1/8th MOA clearly marked on them. Clicks are very positive, better than a luep (which I can find a little vague on some turret options). The turrets have large clear numbers on them, even an "up" arrow on the side, rather than the top, which may prevent some turning the turret the wrong way more than if it was written on the top of the turret. The turret looks to be easily removable, so it would appear easy to customise with a different turret should you wish, but I haven't delved deeper into that.

The turret has 10 MOA in one revolution. I'll have to dig out my numbers to see whether I might need more than one turn, but I have to do that at the moment for very close targets, so i'm not that fussed. There is a clearly readable revolution marker underneath the turret to remind you where you are.

The duplex crosshair I had placed especially in it I think was the right move. It's very similar to those used in the Tasco Custom shops, visually similar in thinkness terms to the leupold duplex you find in 20-50's, but with a wider gate where the finer x-hair is. (I havent seen the target dot or other rets, but knowing it's target orientated i would say they would probably be too thin, if you are like me in finding them a tad on the thin side for FT work... but that's your preference)

So far so good. No negatives and a few positives over current kit in terms of spec. It's probably going to take me a few days before I can get it on a range, so bear with me on that... but i'll fill in as i find things :)

3. RobF

Club:
    Actually reading the manual, the scope comes optically centred.

It also shows a picture of a sidewheel as an optional extra, so i'll see if i can get my mitts on one of those :)

4. RobF

Club:
    Ok I couldn't resist... but this is by no means scientific... largely because this is me balanceing the scopes on a pile of books and looking through a rather dirty dirty double glazed window which I can't open.

But, without the sidwheel I could repeat range a 50m/50yd object with ease, and it really snaps. That may change with a wheel on, but it left no doubt... it didn't feel like I was even focusing. I picked up the Deben (which is a good one), and where as the Deben could see the same paint peel that I could with the March, the March was able to distinguish another level of detail. I could see paint peels with the Deben, I could see ripples and folds in the paint peels with the March. Not scientific, but it's looking very good. And unlike a leup it just seems to snap in very well... I always found leups needed fine control to find the absolute focus, but this just seems to snap in. However, it's not on a gun, doesn't have a wheel, and it's not scientific... but couldn't resist a peek :D

5. Siy-co

Siy-co New Member

Rob........ you lucky wotsit... have been looking at these for ages....... if these scopes do cut it they are a definite alternative to the S&B and 20x50 (2nd hand £950)............. did you say the gap between 30 yds and 50 yds was 8mm.. was this on the small parallax adjuster on the scope or on an added wheel

Simon

6. RobF

Club:
    That was on the small pa adjuster knob... which is 30mm diameter or thereabouts :) (i don't have a set of calipers)

I reckon that gives gaps somewhere in the order of slightly better than a custom shop... but until i get a wheel on it and down a range that's only a guess.

7. Siy-co

Siy-co New Member

This could be one hell of a scope......... looking forward to more info over the next few weeks...

p.s have DEON really given a cash sponsorship to the BFTA?

8. RobF

Club:
    I spoke to Gary and he had been in talks with those that secured the rest of the deals, and I was told so, so I guess so. But i don't know the details only what i've been told :)

I'll fill out the review as I find stuff. On reflection, I think i'll wait to see if I can get a March wheel first... then it's a more complete review of the offerings. I'm not expecting to use it in anger yet, but the temptation to do so is very strong :D

9. Siy-co

Siy-co New Member

10. RobF

Club:
    Cheers for that. Looks like the one in the manual... i'll get Gary on it tonight.

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    The scope ?

first i should say good luck with the scope . BUT a word of warning . old clarky had a 20+50 lupe that snapped in like no other . but as the temp changed so did it , it then it snapped in somewhere else on the wheel . hope this is not the case with yours .??? HOLLY

12. RobF

Club:
    Only time can tell hols...

13. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    A nice optimistic post from Holly:rolleyes:

Good to hear your findings thus far Rob a promising start by all accounts. I have huge hopes for this scope which together with the S&B could finally see a top end alternative to Premier Leups. Once again big props for taking the plunge.

14. RobF

Club:
    Some pics... (not great ones, but hell, it's a start...)

After a whike you start to notice little details in the design that someone has obviously thought about. You can see the scope caps have a little raised bit... on intial handling I thought it was just easier to turn them via the knurling... thought it a bit odd. Then later when I saw the screw on the turret to change it, I thought it would be a shame to mark that with a screwdriver... of course, the turret caps fit into the turret screw, and you can change it without marking, and without tools. Neat. If for a reason I have to add 4 clicks to all ranges, that's a 2 second job, no allen keys required.

I still can't get over how light this feels. My mk4 10mag felt like you could bash a tent peg in with it, and it would shrug it off. But then it probably weighed more. This doesn't feel quite so industrial. That's not to say this isn't built well, the way it moves tells you that... what needs to move does smoothly, what needs to stay fixed does and the tube is one piece from the join of the ocular bell, all the way through the turrets, right to the objective. It just takes a little getting used to that a high mag, large objective scope doesn't have to feel like your lifting a housebrick every time you pick it up.

anyway, enough waffle... here's some pics...

oh another nice touch. The serial number(etched under the turret housing) is recorded on the packaging (i've retouched it out) and the paper work, and that's custom itself... for instance it describes my reticule option on the label and the spec inside the box. It's not scribbled in a box, it's printed. Just little details here and there i'm noticing.

Attached Files:

15. doc

doc New Member

Hello Guys,

I had the chance last year to test a March 10-60x52 scope, that was re parallaxed for FT use (8 yards - 100 yards). (Imagine 60x mag on 8 yards!!! You can see the fur of the ant!)
    This was a demonstration scope from the DEON factory. I am to prepare an article about our experiences soon. We also made a comparison test with the S und B and the Big Nikko.

The distance between 40 and 50 meters on the 90 mm parallax-wheel was enormous: it was 4 cm!!!
    (It is like the S und B: above 30 meters the parallax distance markings are widening again, like in the near distances.)
    Here you can find some pictures:
    http://www.rendelo.net/download/march_parallax_near.jpg
    http://www.rendelo.net/download/marc_parallax_far.jpg

It is easy to measure 1 m difference above 45 meters. The only problem was the reticle. It was a 1/16 crosshair, that is so thin, that if you are in a forest, it is hard to see it. But as I spoke to the manufacturer they have an MTR-1 reticle (like S und B), which is more thick.

Regards, Doc.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  16. RobF

Club:
    Hi Doc,

Did Deon do the re-parallaxing?

The de-plex reticule I had put in solves the fine crosshair problem :)

17. doc

doc New Member

Yes. We were corresponding about developing a perfect FT scope. I gave them some instructions.
    They checked, and they could do the re-parallaxing easily.
    The closest sharp image was on 6,4 meters with 60x magnification!!! (with my eyes).

18. RobF

Club:
    Interesting...!

I have a road sign that is 3-4 ft long and also faces away from me at about 80 degrees, at about 50m/50yds (not sure of the numbers on the side)... through the double glazed window I am able focus on one end and pick up that the other end is not so well defined.... it just lacks the nth amount of detail. For most scopes, I reckon you wouldn't be able to pick out the detail that allows the distance to be differenciated, but with a little concentration I can. That is rested so I don't know if I can keep it that still on 60x on a gun, but that's what it will do through a dirty double glazed window.

Gary says wheel and shade have been despatched.

I am positively itching to get this on a rig now.

19. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Rob for aall that caash fella, I would put it on and just shoot it with the small wheel it was supplied with for now. Id have to get it going. But as the lads down here and most probably the lads on the GP's would say Im a little bit short of patience haahaahaaa.......

Berty

20. Robin

Robin New Member

Club:
    FFTI
    Hello World!
    I would like to know if you're talking about the bench rest or tactical model?
    @ Doc: what model? how did you reparallaxed the scope? is there a frontal chape?
    Thanks

Regards
    Roberto