Delta Stryker 5 50 56

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by RAF, Mar 27, 2018.

1. RAF

RAF Member

Club:
    mill ride
    who's got one & what are your thoughts on it ? ive seen a few using them recently

2. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I reviewed one recently, nice scope.

It does everything the way it should and was really nice and predictable to range find. Optics are well up to the job but not quite as sharp and clear as the top end scopes, but then it is a grand cheaper than any of them so....

3. Bury more

Bury more Member

Club:
    B/Gwent
    Any temp shift ?

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I didn't get the opportunity to test it.

Obviously there will be, it is just a matter of how much and how predictable.

5. RAF

RAF Member

Club:
    mill ride
    how would you compare it to the Sightron ? better ore worse ?

6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Different.

Better made. More robust with nicer feeling controls.

Optically, a 'good' Sightron may have a slight edge on clarity, but other than that, performance wise they should be pretty close.

I didn't have the two side by side and that is the only way to really tell on optics.

The exit pupil on the Sightron is small and I always struggled to get a good head position, the Styker is a lot more like my Leupold's in that respect so I found it easier to use.

ksts100 likes this.
  7. ksts100

ksts100 Member

Good morning
    If you compare Stryker to Leupold comp ??(Leupold are clear ,but non sharp enough at the range finding)

8. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I can't agree with you on Leupold Competitions rangefinding ability, I've been using one for around 18 months now and it is a reliable range finder.

I didn't compare the two scopes, that is an unfair comparison.

9. ksts100

ksts100 Member

Ok ,i did not mean Leupold comp has not good rangefinding ability ,but as bigger difference has the size between objective and occular lens ,the scope is more sharp in rangefinding..

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Why didn’t you compare the new scope to why you were currently using?
    What did you review the scope against for the review?
    How much are they?

ksts100 likes this.
  11. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Unless specifically asked to by an editor I don't do comparisons, that's not a review.

The way I review any product is to look at it, how it functions and performs, it's features, the controls, their function and the overall quality of the product. I then write all of this up (and photograph it).

Each product, be it a rifle, scope, bean bag, pellet pouch etc is treated as a stand alone, I accept I am using an educated eye and because I have experienced a wide range of shooting products I can run a comparison of sorts in my head, but that is not the job of a reviewer. That is like a film critic comparing one film to another completely unrelated film, or a food critic one restaurant to another, while I may do that in my head, it does not make it into the article as that is not a review it is an opinion and that is not the job, the job is to look at the product and describe it.

The Stryker is about £1400

Mriley, bootneckbob and Gary Martin like this.
  12. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Just waiting for John at Optics Warehouse to let me know when mine's arrived, then I'll be the (hopefully proud) owner of one of these. Currently have a LeupVX3 20-50 as the benchmark I'll be using as my reference point. Been used to Leupy and Bushnell optics, so I am hoping it compares favourably to those as it's a whole bunch of cash to find otherwise.

I know the Leup moves, but predictably. I'll spend this summer finding out what the Delta does - once I get it.

Waiting impatiently......

13. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    The Stryker is not quite a crystal clear as my 20-50's, but it is an excellent range finder, even at full mag in poor light conditions.

It is different to your other scopes, but none the worse for that.

14. RAF

RAF Member

Club:
    mill ride
    neil, did you go for the 1/8 turret ?

15. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    It wasn't my scope I was lent it for the review.

It had the Milrad turrets.

16. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Got my 5-50 today, so a quick subjective review: I am impressed!

My benchmark is my Leup VXIII 20-50 and Bushy 8-32, so clear glass but a focusing technique that has to be learnt. The DS is not quite as clear as the Leup, but my first image through it was a lane number marker on a 100yd rimfire range, about 200mm square. I'd estimate that as taking about 1/3 the image diameter at that distance so a fairly narrow field of view.

Box contains scope :)cool:), bikini covers, focus lever (sorry Rowan, no after market here...) and a nice light sunshade, plus the IR battery. Nicely packaged in a solid card box.

Image is clear enough to see raindrops on that 100 yd marker, and on a 150mm 10-ring card at 55yds I could easily see the numbers for the scoring rings: these are about 3mm high, so nice 'n sharp.

Focus: it's snappy rather than fading in and out, so pretty easy to work with. Long eye relief, about 125mm. I got the 1/8 moa DLS3 reticle, as it appears less "busy" than the 1/10 mil ret. Very fine markings, could dissappear against a dark target but the illuminated centre dot deals with that.

I got the Mick Tromans wheel with it: lovely bit of work, with a nice brass insert for the inner part of the sf collar. It takes careful positioning between the 34mm mounts to ensure the inner set of clamp grubs on the wheel don't foul the mounts but careful positioning sorts that out.

Top turret: 10 full turns! 100moa of adjustment in total,almost feel like ther's no need to use the adjustment on the ATP34 mounts, but I will optically centre it and set the zero stop. The turret clicks are soft but positive. Markings on turret: wish they were bigger, but I'm long-sighted so can't read the difference between 3, 8 and 0!!

Close focus about 11yds: 55yds is around 210degrees round the wheel from that. Guessed gap from 50-55 about 8-10mm, to be confirmed when set up properly ( too effin' cold today:eek:).

On a test mule benchrest gun for now: once I have the SF set up and dialling tuned in it will be moved over to a main rifle.

I got this as the most expensive scope I have ever bought, and was worried whether I had spent well: after a day's playing I am both relieved and happy. Certainly a strong challenge to a Sightron, different to the Leup but would be more'n happy with this as an alternative if I had to. I cannot compare toanything more as I haven't played with the Kahles/S&B/March to say if it's a match.

Enough for day 1, will report back more when wheel is set up and ready.

Lavant_Lad, C.Eaton, RobF and 2 others like this.
  17. ksts100

ksts100 Member

Hi Jerry
    Any news from the Stryker ???
    The specs are very good, but only a user can give us a good review..

18. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Got it set up finally on my CR97 and tried it down at the club: love it! :D

Not as clear as a Leup, but the point of focus is much more distinct. I lied about the bottom end focus - I get 10 yds with it, and a bit of room to spare but not to 9 yds. The gap from 50-55 is 7mm, and that gives
    accurate distances/ranging. Arc from 10 - 55 yds is 235degrees- not quite 3/4 of the wheel.
    Reticle is fine on the DLS3 1/8oa and can be lost on dark targets, but the illuminated centre dot sorts that out: just remember to fit the battery before fitting a sidewheel, as the battery cover is very tight and it is fitted to the reticle control -so the whole lot rotates when tryin to undo the cover: caused bme to sctrach the bezel a bit trying to top it rotating:rolleyes:
    Action is very smooth, and the zero stop is really positive. Very easy to set up as well - never go a turn out with this scope due to the combination of zero stop and the huge dial range, 10 MOA per rotation!
    Haven't notcied the weight, but the CR97 is heavy in the stock and the weight well back. Doesnlt feel like it unbalances the gun though. Having set it up on paper it was spot on on targets: my misses were windage, not ranging.
    Temperature stability: don't know yet. I set it up in about 19 deg C, so I'm hoping it will be stable frfom 5-30C at least. Talking to those who use them in anger - and are a lot better than me at the GPs - they seem more than happy with them for stability.

Still got more work to do with it, but very happy with it. So happy, if fact, I have already asked Jon at Optics Warehouse about another - if SWMBO will allow it!:cool:

ksts100 likes this.
  19. ksts100

ksts100 Member

Thanks a lot for your quick response Jerry..
    I am interested in the Delta striker, but i never had the opportunity to see it in person or test it ..